New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Could I be done for forgery

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Funny Money
21 replies 6.6K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Funny Money
I've just read this story on BBC online......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6703797.stm

About a shop done for superhero bank notes as a potential forgery...

Now when I did my ITV1 series Make Me Rich, the producers made some special "Martin's Money" which was used to symbolise the savings.....

mmr_cash_s.jpg

Should I be worried?

Martin :D
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• ~*Plushroom*~~*Plushroom*~ Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, we'll all have a whip round and bake you a cake with a file in with the proceeds if you like! :p
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 1/Official 'Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)' Member 18
    "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free." Bill Hicks
    TRUE BLOOD FANGIRLS #4
    Wouldn't You Like To Be A Plushroom Too?:D
  • eyelinerprincesseyelinerprincess Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the notes should be half or double the real size of notes so as not to be confused with real money. Any other "fake" money should be cleared with the Bank Of England first before the making of said fake money...

Who said uni was useless?
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • ManAtHomeManAtHome Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL - couldn't possibly comment about them lot at t'other side o't 'ills...

"But trading standards officials in Lancashire were concerned they could have been mistaken for real money."

Back on topic - didn't the telly peeps get permission? (I'd grass em up before the boys come round).
  • superhoopsuperhoop Forumite
    313 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Martin - some of us always thought you were a bit of a queen!!

Just kidding....
    We are QPR, say we are QPR!
  • sluggy1967sluggy1967 Forumite
    190 posts
    What next? A swoop on sweet shops selling chocolate money because some Trading Standard Officers cant tell the difference?
  • cello57cello57 Forumite
    16 posts
    What are Tesco vouchers if not a form of money, except it can only be exchanged at one place?
  • eyelinerprincesseyelinerprincess Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    But Tesco vouchers are just that, vouchers! The problem starts when you have something that looks like real money but isn't.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • hypno06hypno06 Forumite
    32.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any shop assistant is daft enough to accept those notes as real, then you deserve to get away with it!!

prisons can be quite nice though.........you get days out and everything!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • DanniDanni Forumite
    345 posts
    Don't worry Martin, even if your producers didn't get permission, you won't be done for forgery as you didn't create the notes :)
    Purple Penguin Power!
  • pezza88pezza88 Forumite
    28 posts
    Technically, it is only replicas of Bank of England money that is illegal. Therefore the Totnes pound experiment (based on the old Totnes pound) and Tesco vouchers (not legal tender) are quite fine.

Who knows if Martin is okay, but if someone knows a good hole in the ground somewhere then I will volunteer to take some food to him while he is in hiding.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support