»

Looking for oil which doesn't spit!!!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Looking for oil which doesn't spit!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
26 replies 6.2K views
LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
4.1K posts
Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
Hi, can somebody please recommend a cooking oil which doesn't spit? I'm fed up trying to keep my stainless steel hob oil-free! I seem to be spending more time cleaning it after cooking than I do actually cooking.

TIA

Replies

• BAGGYBAGGY Forumite
    521 posts
    Oil should only spit if there is water added to it. EG the juice from a sausage will cause it to spit. The oil itself should be stable hta's why you only fill a chip pan about 1/2 way
  • kitschkittykitschkitty Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try a different shaped pan or a spatter guard, but I agree with baggy on the oil.

What types of foods are you frying, how much oil do you use, what type of oil, what type of pan???
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm currently using sunflower oil, a couple of tablespoons in an ordinary non-stick pan to fry an egg, sometimes sausages or something similar.
  • Apparently rapeseed oil is a good one. Its odourless and can heat to a very high temperature!
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently rapeseed oil is a good one. Its odourless and can heat to a very high temperature!

Thanks - I'll give it a try.
  • IlonaIlona Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons why I stopped frying food, can't abide cleaning the cooker. Now I grill my veggie sausages and scramble my eggs. Sorry, I don't know which oil is best.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • i use olive oil and because i dont like the eggs to go 'hairy' underneath of the whites (you know what i mean!) i cook them very slowly on a low heat. never spits, not sure whether you just need to have it on a lower heat or whether its the olive oil tho!!
    Car Boot Queen!!

Clothes Golden Rule: Never pay full price unless it is an utter bargain in the first place!
    Sales, boots, charity shops, ebay- why would anyone ever pay full price for anything??!
  • ClowanceClowance Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a spatter guard - circular mesh with a handle which you put over pan while cooking, doesn't stop heat escaping.
    Or -
    If you put a normal saucepan lid over the egg while frying using frylight it helps to steam the top, this is a weightwatchers tip for when in a good quality non stick pan for "frying" eggs without the calories. Frylight doesn't spit and is healthier too.
    :j Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!:j
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clowance wrote: »
    Have you tried a spatter guard - circular mesh with a handle which you put over pan while cooking, doesn't stop heat escaping.
    Or -
    If you put a normal saucepan lid over the egg while frying using frylight it helps to steam the top, this is a weightwatchers tip for when in a good quality non stick pan for "frying" eggs without the calories. Frylight doesn't spit and is healthier too.

Yes, tried a splatter guard which isn't very successful, tried the pan lid but the condensation forms on the lid and drips into the oil making it spit even more!
  • greyfoxgreyfox Forumite
    471 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    I think it could be down to the amount of oil you're using, to be honest. You shouldn't really need to use any oil to fry sausages; even the 90% meat ones have a certain amount of fat. If you're using a non-stick pan, you only need a very small amount of oil to fry eggs, too. Less oil & lower heat = less spitting.

I'm using rice bran oil at the moment, which is a healthier option and has a high smoke point. (Having said that, I fry things gently rather than over a very high heat.)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support