🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

NHS Dentist Said They Don't Polish Teeth Anymore?

Options
Aye_Up_2
Aye_Up_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 25 October 2012 at 4:31PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Hello.

I'm posting this for several reasons.

1) I'm confused and not certain whether what I was told is correct or not.

2) I am keen to learn if anyone else has experienced this or am I the only one.

Basically, I pay for NHS dental treatment. I went for a check-up and after exchanging the usual pleasantries and enduring a routine examination, I asked for my teeth to be polished.

I was dismayed to be told that 'oh we don't do that anymore, it's been proven to be bad for your teeth'. Seeing that I looked utterly confused the dentist further added 'yeah it's been discovered polishing raises the temperature of the teeth (pause) so like you are boiling your teeth'.

I do not know what on earth to make of all that. Plus months later I still want my teeth to be polished but this would mean having to arrange another appointment and I'm now considering booking a scale and polish with the hygienist.

I am still wondering if my dentist is just 'fobbing me off' by saying the above and whether I have grounds to complain about the level of service given.

In years gone by (and with different NHS dentists), I've always received a little polish as part of my check up. It seems a little extreme to have to visit the hygienist when all I want is a quick polish to remove tea/coffee staining.

By the way..some of my work colleagues still receive a 'polish' from their NHS dentist so why do some do it and some don't?

Plus what is all the nonsense about it being bad for teeth?

Anyone?

Comments

• Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive not long ago had a dental appointment. My dentist has never done the polish. He checked my teeth and then I was sent to the hygenist for a scrape and polish.
  • Primmer
    Primmer Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Haven't heard that its bad for your teeth. My dentist however will not polish and you have to book a separate appointment with the hygienist and pay separately for a clean and polish.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2012 at 3:13PM
    Options
    Scaling and polishing came under scrutiny from the national audit committee as part of the new dental contract in 2006.

Its findings were that it was mostly cosmetic and as such should not be offered any more under the health service as it had no health benefits. This is a different situation from treatment of gum disease which should be offered on the NHS.

so if you have tea,coffee staining you can choose to pay privately for a hygiene visit to have it polished off but you cannot expect your nhs dentist to do a cosmetic treatment as part of your nhs treatment.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Hygienists look after the cleanliness of your teeth, dentists look after the health. Different job, different person.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was told it was a money making racket-sending people to hygienist for scale and polish. The dentist can do a basic descale themselves. Last time I went, the dentist said they could do a basic scale but it's recommended to see hygienist twice yearly for a more thorough clean.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    OP was not looking for treatment to improve their health, they were looking to get rid of tea and coffee stains to improve the look of their teeth.

For any dentist but particularly nhs dentists time is money. The NHS is not there to provide cosmetic treatment it is there to secure oral health. You cannot expect a dentist to provide the disposables (brush head ,paste,mouthwash,cup,bibs, sterilisation/lubrication of handpiece) and time to cosmetically improve the colour of your teeth. You can choose to pay privately if you want that done.

This is a very different situation from people who have gum disease where "cleanliness of teeth" is indeed a health issue. Very few NHS dentists can afford to employ hygienists any more so most do this work themselves, although most would say a hygienist does a better job at educating a patient etc.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • Aye_Up_2
    Options
    I suspected this was in the wrong place..where has it moved to?
  • Aye_Up_2
    Aye_Up_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2012 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Aah I see this is now in a sub-thread.

By the way..some of my work colleagues still receive a 'polish' from their NHS dentist to remove tea/coffee stains.

So why do some do it and some don't?

Plus what is all the nonsense about it being bad for teeth?
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My dentist will do a scale on the bits that need doing, but haven't had a polish in the last 2 or 3 years. I'm quite pleased really as I never really noticed any difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport