PPi

Options
Hi
When I moved house I was sold critical illness benefit by the estate agent. He came to my home and arranged it there and then. He said that I only need to pay it for a month or so - until he got his commision. It was the first time that I had moved house on my own and I was learning as I went along. I felt grateful that he arranged my mortgage there and then too. Since I was on an occupational pension plus benefits I thought that he was doing me a real favour and I didnt think I could get a mortage any other way at the time because I wasnt working. I was in a very vulnerable position and was on psychiatric medication at the time and he knew that because I had to answer many questions about my health when he was here at my home re the critical illness benefit.
I paid it for a year until I realised that I had been conned - I didnt even need it - the worst had happened!!! I couldnt work.
What sort of a case do you think I have - I still have all the paperwork and his name too. I was in late 1998

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Critical illness and PPi are two different policies, there is no refunds for critical illness cover yet.
    You could claim it was mis sold and take it to the financial ombudsman, but as yet they won't pay out off their own back.
  • daffodil
    daffodil Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou so much - wish I could remember what he actually said to me.
    I guess its only a matter of time before this type of thing hits the headlines.
    I'll keep a lookout
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    daffodil wrote: »
    Hi
    When I moved house I was sold critical illness benefit by the estate agent. He came to my home and arranged it there and then. He said that I only need to pay it for a month or so - until he got his commision. It was the first time that I had moved house on my own and I was learning as I went along. I felt grateful that he arranged my mortgage there and then too. Since I was on an occupational pension plus benefits I thought that he was doing me a real favour and I didnt think I could get a mortage any other way at the time because I wasnt working. I was in a very vulnerable position and was on psychiatric medication at the time and he knew that because I had to answer many questions about my health when he was here at my home re the critical illness benefit.
    I paid it for a year until I realised that I had been conned - I didnt even need it - the worst had happened!!! I couldnt work.
    What sort of a case do you think I have - I still have all the paperwork and his name too. I was in late 1998

Hi Daffodil - we'd recommend that you contact the Financial Ombudsman Service's Consumer Helpline, to find out if you have a case and (if so) what steps to take. If you need further help and support on this, then we'd suggest getting in touch with your local bureau.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure