Bailiff - help

Somebody has some how got a county court judgement against a company (that does not exist!) and my address.
I rent the house -
I have written to the court but they seem to not care.
What are my rights if the bailiffs come round.

Comments

• RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not so much about your "rights". That doesn't even enter into it. The bailiffs have been instructed to act against a company. Not an address, not any random individual living at that address. They are allowed to take certain actions against that company and its goods. Nothing else.

If they turn up, simply inform them that you are not the person they're looking for. If you're feeling co-operative you can show them I.D. or if you're not you can remind them that their problems are not your problems, close the door and get on with your day (co-operating and showing them I.D. will be the quickest way of getting rid of them, but I wanted to make the point that it is up to you, you're not obliged to do anything).

They have zero rights to enter *your* home/property. They have zero rights to remove any of your items... and county court bailiffs will usually be very well aware of that and will behave properly.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • Thank you very much for your help
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi MissCJWright77, thank you for your query regarding bailiff- help.
    If this debt was not yours and you have no connection to the company then if the bailiff attends your home I would suggest you just state that you are not the person named on the warrant or connected with the company and that you have already explained this to the court and ask them to leave and return the warrant so they can find the right debtor to pursue.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a look at this Re: Bailiffs. Essentially all of what has been said but in video form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQF_3zINdg
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure