Think I've been mis sold an home learning A-Level - can I get my money back?

Hi I need to do a Biology A-Level and am I'm a mature student I cannot do these at a local college. I've paid ICS Home Learning Service £364 to provide me with support and materials to study towards the qualification, they clearly warned me on there website that I would need to also pay and arrange the exams which I researched before buying and found will cost me about £150. After receiving the materials I've now realised that I need to also pay for 2 science practicals which equate to 1/3 of the ALevel, the nearest centre I can do this is 50miles away from my house and they charge £190 each to complete. This £380 is more than I have paid ICS to study the ALevel in the first place and added to examination fees its £530 extra. I definitely cannot afford this and if I'd have known about these charges I would never have bought the study materials and support from ICS. I do think they have missold me this ALevel as they sold it as I would study at home and do my exams in a local centre, they didn't mention any coursework or any other costs other than the final exams. I haven't started studying yet, or had any contact with the tutors although I paid ICS in July, I have complained in writing to them asking for a refund but have had no reply as yet - do I have any right to a refund? Is there an ombudsman who can help me if they refuse a refund?

Comments

• tasticz
    tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    it clearly states on the website that there are 2 practicals
    Unit 3: Externally marked practical assignment
    Unit 6: Externally marked practical assignment

sorry but you aint getting any money back unless its within 14 days if so ring them up and tell them you no longer wish to study

as for the practical i paid £370 for AS and £370 for A2 so i don't know why your complaining
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    edited 9 October 2012 at 11:09AM
    fiona12345 wrote: »
    Hi I need to do a Biology A-Level and am I'm a mature student I cannot do these at a local college. I've paid ICS Home Learning Service £364 to provide me with support and materials to study towards the qualification, they clearly warned me on there website that I would need to also pay and arrange the exams which I researched before buying and found will cost me about £150. After receiving the materials I've now realised that I need to also pay for 2 science practicals which equate to 1/3 of the ALevel, the nearest centre I can do this is 50miles away from my house and they charge £190 each to complete. This £380 is more than I have paid ICS to study the ALevel in the first place and added to examination fees its £530 extra. I definitely cannot afford this and if I'd have known about these charges I would never have bought the study materials and support from ICS. I do think they have missold me this ALevel as they sold it as I would study at home and do my exams in a local centre, they didn't mention any coursework or any other costs other than the final exams. I haven't started studying yet, or had any contact with the tutors although I paid ICS in July, I have complained in writing to them asking for a refund but have had no reply as yet - do I have any right to a refund? Is there an ombudsman who can help me if they refuse a refund?

Hi fiona12345 - as this is a consumer issue, it's not being covered by our CAB representatives at the moment. We'd recommend that you contact our Consumer Helpline (08454 040506, Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5pm) or your local bureau for advice on where you stand, as soon as possible.

Before you do, we'd suggest that you have all the paperwork to hand (or take it in with you if/when you go into your bureau). And also that you have read through the terms and conditions for what you've paid for, as you'll probably get asked about them.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure