New Post Advanced Search

prevented from leaving work

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
3 replies 1.4K views
got_it_back_2got_it_back_2 Forumite
6 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
hi, last night we was prevented from leaving work due to a health and safety incident. i work on a class 1 chemical site. when an alarm is set off there is a system which stops all turnstiles from working. all of us (around 100 people) were prevented from leaving. the company i work for provides approx 500 employees to this site over 3 shifts ect. other agencies have staff on site. my shift finished at 22:30 and we was held back and finally let out at 23:30. my question is are we entitled to be paid for this time? and what are my rights in a situation like this.
talking to other people who were milling about, other agencey staff appear to get paid as do the the site owners staff if they are held back due to the lockdown.

Replies

• hi, last night we was prevented from leaving work due to a health and safety incident. i work on a class 1 chemical site. when an alarm is set off there is a system which stops all turnstiles from working. all of us (around 100 people) were prevented from leaving. the company i work for provides approx 500 employees to this site over 3 shifts ect. other agencies have staff on site. my shift finished at 22:30 and we was held back and finally let out at 23:30. my question is are we entitled to be paid for this time? and what are my rights in a situation like this.
    talking to other people who were milling about, other agencey staff appear to get paid as do the the site owners staff if they are held back due to the lockdown.

Forget what other agencies may or may not do, what does your contract specify?

Often, agency contractors that are paid by the hour specify that you need to gain the approval of the client before you are paid, which is typiucally done by the the client approving a time sheet.

If so, have a word with the client. If they are prepared to approve your timesheet for the extra hour, I'm sure the agency will pay you and won't be any the wiser about the events of yesterday evening.
  • immoral_angelukimmoral_angeluk Forumite
    24.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with yoyoy, you need to check the wording of your contract before anyone (CAB included) can advise properly.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • edited 9 October 2012 at 11:01AM
    CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    edited 9 October 2012 at 11:01AM
    hi, last night we was prevented from leaving work due to a health and safety incident. i work on a class 1 chemical site. when an alarm is set off there is a system which stops all turnstiles from working. all of us (around 100 people) were prevented from leaving. the company i work for provides approx 500 employees to this site over 3 shifts ect. other agencies have staff on site. my shift finished at 22:30 and we was held back and finally let out at 23:30. my question is are we entitled to be paid for this time? and what are my rights in a situation like this.

Hi got_it_back - we'd recommend that you contact your local bureau for advice on where you stand, as soon as possible.

Before you do, we'd suggest that you have all the paperwork to hand (or take it in with you if/when you go into your bureau) - and especially your employment contract.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support