Scottish Council tenant housing repairs & Tenants rights.

Sorry for the lengthly message, just tried to cover everything and seek help a.s..p. When I moved into my council house 14yrs ago, I had no bath, just an old walk in shower which was old already, council wouldnt change it & after my son had came out in a rash which was fungus related I wasnt taking any chances and got my own bathroom suite, keeping the shower unit on wall. I phoned council this week to report my shower was not working properly and told them my bath was coming away from wall and a few tiles had came off due to what I suspected was dampness causd by shower, council happily agreed to come out and secure bath for me to use while awaiting shower repair to be done as I have just came out of hospital and leg in plaster and finding it a bit scary to balance myself enuf to wash! Repair man came out immediately told me he couldnt secure bath as floor was all rotten away,& he'd need an inspector out to see it, after waiting 2days for inspector I called to be told they were not aware I needed one. After being held on hold for 40mins they said someone would come out, make bath secure then inspector would come out following day to see it, while securing bath the repair man has cracked it,therfore cannot be used at all now, below bath, floorings lifted showing the ground under house.Inspector has told me I will have a new bath but have to wait 3wks, will loose all my tiles where bath is going (wall and floor).Shower wont be fixed until 26th sep. Do I have any rights with this situation ? I have an open wound which has to be kept clean, a plastered lower leg which I cannot walk on without aid. Surely healtwise this isnt legal? I am in no way to blame for this happening. Is there any legal rights I have regarding council replacing BATH only? I now will have a white straight bath in place of a corner bath which was part of a grey bathroom suite.Cannot fit new tiles needed for floor as they r now discontinued as is my wall tiles. All Iasked for help with was a council fitted shower, now I am without any way of cleaning myself properly, and the nightmare of being left with toilet tile-less on wall and floor with no way of affording to correct it in anyway as I am a sngle parent with exactly £8.29 extra per fortnight. I have always where possible had repairs one myself because council are well known for job not done right anyway, but to leave someone like this through no fault of their own is unbelievable. If I were an addict of some kind I would have had his fixed by now though, even the inspector agreed with me on that fact. I pay my council tax ect but I'd need to be a junkie to get a new bathroom suite ceilings, walls & floor tiled to my liking as there would be someone calling into see me to plan lay out and to choose tiles, deco, bathroom suite, hell even the taps I'd prefer.... Please someone somewhere tell me I am completely wrong here and that if someone breaks something then they should replace with same or equivalant & cover any other repairs caused by it. The health side to this alone beggars belief with me. I WILLLLLLL not allow the council to turn their backs and get off lightly if anything healthwise should befall me through this.
I eagely await an answer from hopefully a goodwill:A today.....

Comments

• Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't read your post, but I'm sure CAB are only deal with English issues at the minute, so you might be better of posting on the housing board.

It's also easier to read if you use paragraphs. That is just one big blurb to me.
  • I couldn't read it all either.

All the CAB posters on this thread seem to be in England or Wales, and housing law is different in Scotland. So you could try calling Shelter Scotland for advice. It's 0808 800 4444 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
  • kelfen
    kelfen Posts: 281 Forumite
    Have put into paragraphs ...

Sorry for the lengthly message, just tried to cover everything and seek help a.s..p.

When I moved into my council house 14yrs ago, I had no bath, just an old walk in shower which was old already, council wouldnt change it & after my son had came out in a rash which was fungus related I wasnt taking any chances and got my own bathroom suite, keeping the shower unit on wall.

I phoned council this week to report my shower was not working properly and told them my bath was coming away from wall and a few tiles had came off due to what I suspected was dampness causd by shower, council happily agreed to come out and secure bath for me to use while awaiting shower repair to be done as I have just came out of hospital and leg in plaster and finding it a bit scary to balance myself enuf to wash!

Repair man came out immediately told me he couldnt secure bath as floor was all rotten away,& he'd need an inspector out to see it, after waiting 2days for inspector I called to be told they were not aware I needed one. After being held on hold for 40mins they said someone would come out, make bath secure then inspector would come out following day to see it, while securing bath the repair man has cracked it,therfore cannot be used at all now, below bath, floorings lifted showing the ground under house.

Inspector has told me I will have a new bath but have to wait 3wks, will loose all my tiles where bath is going (wall and floor).Shower wont be fixed until 26th sep.

Do I have any rights with this situation ? I have an open wound which has to be kept clean, a plastered lower leg which I cannot walk on without aid. Surely healtwise this isnt legal? I am in no way to blame for this happening. Is there any legal rights I have regarding council replacing BATH only? I now will have a white straight bath in place of a corner bath which was part of a grey bathroom suite.Cannot fit new tiles needed for floor as they r now discontinued as is my wall tiles.

All Iasked for help with was a council fitted shower, now I am without any way of cleaning myself properly, and the nightmare of being left with toilet tile-less on wall and floor with no way of affording to correct it in anyway as I am a sngle parent with exactly £8.29 extra per fortnight.

I have always where possible had repairs one myself because council are well known for job not done right anyway, but to leave someone like this through no fault of their own is unbelievable. If I were an addict of some kind I would have had his fixed by now though, even the inspector agreed with me on that fact. I pay my council tax ect but I'd need to be a junkie to get a new bathroom suite ceilings, walls & floor tiled to my liking as there would be someone calling into see me to plan lay out and to choose tiles, deco, bathroom suite, hell even the taps I'd prefer....

Please someone somewhere tell me I am completely wrong here and that if someone breaks something then they should replace with same or equivalant & cover any other repairs caused by it. The health side to this alone beggars belief with me. I WILLLLLLL not allow the council to turn their backs and get off lightly if anything healthwise should befall me through this.
    I eagely await an answer from hopefully a goodwill today.....
    * Jan NSD *
    *Debt total £86.78.82*
    *Debts left to pay: 10 *

*Weight Loss: I was: 210lbs ...NOW: 196 lbs *
  • For the "BLURB" I'm afraid I was very upset at the time therefore did not have my sane head on lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure