Am I allowed?

Options
I have built a website in my spare time, and just recently my number of visitors have improved, my friend has suggested to me that I place adverts on it so I can earn a little money, the problem is I am currently claiming jobseekers allowance, before I place adverts on my website I would please like to know, will this affect my benefit and if so how, I'm not sure on the law, but I thought we are allowed to earn so much money before declaring it, thankyou for your time, Bye

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Nhojjohn25 wrote: »
    I have built a website in my spare time, and just recently my number of visitors have improved, my friend has suggested to me that I place adverts on it so I can earn a little money, the problem is I am currently claiming jobseekers allowance, before I place adverts on my website I would please like to know, will this affect my benefit and if so how, I'm not sure on the law, but I thought we are allowed to earn so much money before declaring it, thankyou for your time, Bye

To ensure you don't get into any trouble, why not ensure you advise the authorities of any and all forms of income you receive and they will decide whether or not it exceeds the amount you may receive before it affects your benefits? :)

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • Nhojjohn25
    Options
    I'm sorry your answer is not what I'm looking for, I would like to know the answer not a swerve of the answer,
    You see , I am not willing to put adverts on my website if it will affect my benefit because the income I will receive from advets is 10 - 20 pounds a month and I am not willing to sacrifice my claim of jobseekers and make a re claim which takes at least 2 weeks to make a re claim, I have children and just can't afford to wait 2weeks for a re claim, please can someone help me, find out if earning this small amount will matter and do i have to declare such a small amount, sorry. Please help.
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You got an answer, just because you don't like doesn't make any less of an answer.

The only people who can truly tell you if it will effect your benefits is the job centre.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 September 2012 at 6:59PM
    Options
    the rules are :
    a) all and any income MUST be declared to the JC
    b) you can earn up to £5 (five pounds) per week without it affecting your claim. Anything over that will affect your claim, ie you will lose £1 from your JSA for every £1 you earn over the first £5. you have to fillout a form each time you sign on and declare your latest set of earnings each time

Be aware - there are lots of internet posts from people who did not declare, got found out, and were offered a "choice" of being prosecuted for fraud or paying the money back plus a penalty charge

BTW - there was no need to be so dismissive of someone giving upo there time to help you. For example I know nothiong about JSA but simply using google search on "JSA and working" found the above answer on page 1 of the results. So instead of insulting posters, why didn't you try to find out for yourself, then, rather than asking a question "Hi, I'm too lazy to find this out for myself, please tell me " you could have asked "Hi , please can someone confirm my understanding is correct, i think its £5 , is that right." The latter sort of question gets a positive response because it shows you tried, the former question gets blown off becuase it appears you can't be bothered to help yourself but expect others to do it for you.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Original Poster (OP), I have to agree nobody was rude. If you can build a website you can look up some basic facts on the internet www.direct.gov.uk has lots of useful information about these matters.

You have to make the declaration whenever you sign on what your have been paid since the last time you signed on. Putting the adverts on your website does not need to be declared but any payment you receive should be reported.

I take your point about the delays but as I understand it when you sign on you are asked about earnings and if you say yes you have a simple form to fill in for each week. You only state what you have been paid in that week (ie not what you earned) and that amount is then deducted from your next benefit. I do not think you need to re-apply unless the rules have changed.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2272651 may help

The income disregarded is £5 for a single person and £10 for a couple and more for a single parrent as I understand it.

Its important to declare the income and sometimes what its for. They need to be convinced that you are still available for work and actively looking for it (as opposed to spending hours designing a website). Not declaring it is a serious offence.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure