Informing the DWP/Benifits

Options
Hi, my hubby has been of sick from his job since Oct 2010, we are currently appealing our ESA medical to get in the support group as he has Primary Progressive MS. He has now been dismissed from his job on capablity grounds, which is fine as we both know that there is no chance of him ever been able to work again but is what we need to know is do we have to inform the benifits people of this???? I know we don't have to tax credits as they told me that after been on sick for 6 months they class you as unemployed but not sure about ESA. He had a final payment of 3 thousand pounds.
Many thanks.

Comments

• helpfulperson
    Options
    It is always best to tell the DWP about any changes in circumstances. If your husband is getting Contribution Based ESA, then these things you mention will probably make no difference.

It is important to win the appeal and get into the support group as Contribution Based ESA is limited to 365 days for people in the Work Related Activities Group. Are you getting help with the appeal? If not, contact your local CAB.

After 365 days, your husband may be able to migrate onto Income Based ESA, but that would depend on your circumstances as a couple. Do you work for instance?

If you don't know about all you entitlements and how these may change in the future as your husbands condition progresses, it really would be worthwhile getting advice from your local CAB or, at least, having a look at the information on their self help web site (https://www.adviceguide.org.uk)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does his condition fit the criteria of DLA, its always worth thinking about.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi, my hubby has been of sick from his job since Oct 2010, we are currently appealing our ESA medical to get in the support group as he has Primary Progressive MS. He has now been dismissed from his job on capablity grounds, which is fine as we both know that there is no chance of him ever been able to work again but is what we need to know is do we have to inform the benifits people of this???? I know we don't have to tax credits as they told me that after been on sick for 6 months they class you as unemployed but not sure about ESA. He had a final payment of 3 thousand pounds.
    Many thanks.

Dear eggnchips34,

It may be in your partners best interest to report any changes to his circumstances in order to prevent the possibility of overpayment in the future.

You could visit your local bureau who may provide you with further information and may even be able to assist your partner with his ESA appeal. You may search for your local bureau on www.citizensadvice.org.uk.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure