College invoice

Options
Hello

I pulled out of my BA Honors degree course (May 2012) after only completing half of the first year, because of work commitments at the time.
I applied for Student finance as advised by the college at the beginning of the course but was told in April '12 that I would only receive a small amount of the course fees. Unfortunately I only took on the course because of the advice given by the college that I would receive more cash as a grant, just like in my previous years when I completed my Certificate in Education. I had a detailed discussion on the 2 likely scenarios about the amount I would receive.

Because of the very late decision from Student finance, the college are demanding their fee of £609. I have wrote to the college to explain why I feel I shouldn't have to pay (based on their advice) and student finance have told me their decision is final.

To summarise....

Decided to take on a BA Honors course as it was free, through student finance, they will pay the college directly.

Told by student finance the college will receive £91.

Dropped out of the course this April.

The college wants it's money but I have told them I shouldn't have to pay.

Can they take me to court to demand their money?

Kind Regards

Ray

Comments

• pickpocketlocket
    Options
    Can you prove that you were told it would be free?

Yes, they can take you to court to get their money.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Why was the course fee for a degree course only £609?

What course are you describing as a Certificate in Education?
  • Harvey70_2
    Options
    Unfortunately not. I had a conversation with the advisor at the college who described what would happen regarding amounts I would receive depending on how much I earn. We agreed I was below the thresh hold therefore would get a grant to pay the costs.
  • Harvey70_2
    Options
    It was the Post Compulsory Certificate in Education. The BA Honors course was franchised to a local further ed college. Course fees were only £700 each year although now I believe they have shot up !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure