Pay Rise

Options
I have worked at my current company for over 4 years, I was recently offered a job in another department where the salary was a lot more than I am on now however my current boss offered to match what the other department was offering if I stayed, which I did.

That was 3 months ago and I have not received my rise yet, it seems that certain people are dragging their feet. My boss had to put a business case together and the 'powers that be' have said they need more information ( I suppose to see why my extra duties justify my rise).

Basically, what I would like to know is ... where do I stand if my rise is eventually refused, I am getting concerned, I turned down the other job and stayed with my current department in good faith.

Thanks

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Rights wrote: »
    I have worked at my current company for over 4 years, I was recently offered a job in another department where the salary was a lot more than I am on now however my current boss offered to match what the other department was offering if I stayed, which I did.

That was 3 months ago and I have not received my rise yet, it seems that certain people are dragging their feet. My boss had to put a business case together and the 'powers that be' have said they need more information ( I suppose to see why my extra duties justify my rise).

Basically, what I would like to know is ... where do I stand if my rise is eventually refused, I am getting concerned, I turned down the other job and stayed with my current department in good faith.

Thanks

Speak to the boss. It was with him that you appear to have formed an agreement, albeit verbal. You are entitled to be paid on time and in full for the job you are doing.

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • Rights
    Options
    Hi

Thanks, I have spoken to my boss and to be honest he has done what is needed, it is just that the board of directors have asked for more information (the company is huge and very well known) - probably to see why the rise is justified - I am just concerned that they may come back and say it is not justified and therefore I missed out on the other job and I have been doing these extra duties and working an extra hour a day (as per the changes agreement) for the past 4 months.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    did you get anything in writing?

It may be he's promised you something he can't actually deliver as he should have already had it signed off by HR before he made the claims.

Also, you'd need it back dating. He's costing you money now as you'd have been on the higher wage. The justification would simply be "good worker, needed him to stay" if the boss has got any real clout!

Good luck!

5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Rights
    Options
    Thanks, that has been my concern, that I was promised something that couldn't be delivered.

The only thing I have in writing is my changes form which has been signed off by boss and my boss's boss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure