Housing help, what are my options?

Options
Hello, currently me and my wife are living seperatly, she is living with her parents and our 2 year old boy and I am living with my parents. We did this after moving home from university after she fell pregnant and I lost my job, after having no luck finding a house or a new job I went back to college to improve my career prospects. 2 years down the line and I'm still having trouble finding work, though I have managed to get a small part time job, were both still living inbetween both houses and its driving us crazy. Weve managed to survive so far from a combination of severe generosity from both sets of parents, but its definatly straining our relationship on all sides.

We have absoloutly no idea what we might be entitled to, or how we can possible get into a flat/house. Weve been on the council housing list for ages but never heard anything back from the houses that we "bid" on.

I've been told if I seriously want to improve my employment prospects I need to do some volunteer work to boost my own experience. However, I dont know how I can possibly rent a place while volunteering and only having a part time job. I suppose I'd really like to know if we have any other options?

Were claiming child tax credits, though my wife isnt on jobseekers and my income would probably mean I'm not entitled to much if I was also claiming (though it is only part time so I dont think I'm eligable for working tax).

Were pretty clueless with what help we can get as well as the options that are available. I was under the impression that if we could rent privatley we might get support with housing benefit and council tax benefit, but then again, I really dont know.

Any help or suggestions would be really usefull, were just struggling so much at the moment.

Comments

• pickpocketlocket
    Options
    You will not be a high priority for council/ social housing because you are not homeless.

If you wish to rent privately you can claim LHA. You can check your entitlement on the local authority website.

You will only be eligible for WTC if you are working 24 hours.
  • mccormack337
    Options
    Thanks for replying pickpocketlocket! Seems like we might be eligible for at least some king of housing benefit renting privatley.

Your right about the low priority on council housing, weve always tried to be honest about our situation with the council and thet responded by basically saying your not our problem.

If we were to rent privatley, is there any way we could get some kind of support with all the deposits and checks that a private landlord does? I've only rented once and I recall the costs were about £1000 JUST to get in (security deposits, month and a half rent and the credit check). I'm not sure we could afford that.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have to disagree with the poster who said that you are not homeless.

As you have no legal right to live where you are currently living then you are officially homeless.

You need to go to your local council housing department and complete a homeless application.

It would help if both set of parents would write a letter saying that they require you to leave because...I am presuming that there is lack of space for you both to live as a family unit in one house.

Having said that there is a severe shortage of council housing available. Depending on your council's policy they may........give you extra points to bid on properties, provide help for a private rental (Deposit bond scheme, list of landlords who accept tenants on benefits). At the very least they should provide you with advice and support.

You would be entitled to HB and CTB.

You do not say how many hours you work or how much you earn.

You can put your details into the benefit calculator on https://www.turn2us.org.uk (click on benefits on the top banner first to find the calculator) to find out what other benefits you may be entitled to.

If your wife has a single claim for Child tax credits don't forget to change it to a joint claim when you move in together.

Although it would be great if you could do some voluntary work I would suggest that this may need to be put 'on hold' while you find a fulltime job/second part time job to support your family. You need to work at least 24hours a week to claim working tax credits so if you could up your hours you might still be able to do some voluntary work particularly if a second part time job was in the evening.

Good luck with everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport