Daughter choked on poor packaging

Options

Comments

• art_for_arts_sake
    Options
    Taadaa wrote: »
    Planet earth is getting further and further away.

It certainly is. Whatever happened to home cooking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ3nnn7-JO0
  • firestronaut
    firestronaut Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    Taadaa wrote: »
    Planet earth is getting further and further away.

The OP did not come on here to ask advice about how to save money on food, what to serve her child, and whether she should check through a ready made meal before serving it. Does the packaging say 'check through before serving in case a piece of our cheap and nasty packaging is inside waiting to choke you?' In which case, OP, then you are clearly in the wrong.

If you have retained the packaging, contact the company and ask them what they want you to do ie return the packaging or take photos. I would take photos before you send it off. Regardless of whether it was a piece of packaging that came loose, or somehow got into the food during production, it shouldn't have happened.

The chances are they will give you an apology and a cheque for a small sum or a voucher. I suggest you are clear about what you expect ie for them to investigate and ensure this doesn't happen again, as the consequences could have been more serious.
    Thank you for one of the very very few responses I was looking for.
    2 days post-op on knee surgery, I'm not going to stand around and cook.

I've contacted the company and explained the situation, and made it clear I'm not after some sort of compensation or payout. Hopefully I'll receive a response soon.
    Starting debt: 3399.39 / Debt now: 2975.39
    VSP Challenge 2012: £39.58/£100 Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012: £3.00/£150
    £2 savers club #20: £30
    2012 earnings: £67.50
    Long Haul DFW Supporter #204
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Why is it when there's something wrong with food products we don't think we have the right to complain. The OP was just out of surgery, made a ready meal, that her child choked on. She has a valid complaint. Either the plastic has broken from the container or from another container in the factory. Did she not notice it when she served it up? Obviously not or she wouldn't have given it to the child.

We seem to have gone from one extreme to another in this country. Where we wouldn't complain about anything to slating anyone who wishes to complain. Not every complaint is about compensation. It's about raising awareness so the same problem doesn't happen again and they can look at their manufacturing process.

Hope the knee is recovering well OP.

As for making cheese sauce with cornflour. YUCK YUCK YUCK! :)
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • picardygirl
    picardygirl Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Slightly off topic but none the less relevant to how this thread is going .......

A friend has a son who is allergic to nuts, so when they take him out, he has to choose from the menu which says nut free ....... a few weeks ago they were at a restaurant, that will remain nameless, but a large chain serving noodle/rice food .......

He chose a dish that stated on the menu "nut free", within minutes of eating the dish, he had an allergic reaction, and paramedics had to called, my friend carries a epipen (sp?!) and was just about to adminster (which she had never done before) when the paramedics turned up .........

He was fine within a couple of hours, but she complained because this shouldnt have happened .... they apologised and said the food is made "off premises" and reheated once in the restaurant and sent her £30 vouchers for the next time she visits the restaurant ..... she didnt want the vouchers, as it scared them all so much they will never return, she made the complaint to highlight the problem that had happened and to try and make the company aware of the problem so it cannot happen again .......
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    lucy03 wrote: »
    I'd contact the retailer, not the manufacturer, but ask the retailer to keep you informed of what the manufacturer has done.

I once had a vaguely similar incident, and I wrote to the retailer specifically noting that I wasn't seeking compensation, just to bring it to their attention. The retailer (Tesco) sent a gift-card of around 20 pounds, and the manufacturer duly also wrote with a small cheque and an explanation of what they think happened. In my case one of the corner from the food trays had fallen into the product.

If you note you don't want compensation, you're probably in my view likely to get more information on what's happened.

I had a similar thing with broken packaging on something that DD1 choked on when she was about 2 (this was a Georgian supermarket/packaging company, called Borjomi, who hold several products on sale in supermarkets and produce a lot of plastic for the UK, even the filters/packaging for PMI Cigarettes!).

If you explicitly state that you don't want compensation, you're more likely to get the said compensation and a reasonable response, IMO.

CK
    💙💛 💔
  • Looksguywalker
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    I had a similar thing with broken packaging on something that DD1 choked on when she was about 2 (this was a Georgian supermarket/packaging company, called Borjomi, who hold several products on sale in supermarkets and produce a lot of plastic for the UK, even the filters/packaging for PMI Cigarettes!).

If you explicitly state that you don't want compensation, you're more likely to get the said compensation and a reasonable response, IMO.

CK

The Georgian era was a while ago, as was Edwardian and Victorian. A bit more info. explaining what you are talking about and relevance would be nice. Are you the self claimed super businessman I've sniggered/scoffed at their claims on MSE?
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Borjomi Georgia http://www.ids-borjomi.ge/ru/ hence making them Georgian.

Georgia country http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(country)

Not so hard was it
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    The Georgian era was a while ago, as was Edwardian and Victorian. ?

Was this meant to be a joke?:(
  • digp
    digp Posts: 2,013 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    If that is the case, just write to the maker so they can try to avoid it happening again.

Was this a meal made especially for young children?

The manufacturer probably doesn;t give a .....

There are laws in place to deal with this.

Contact Which.
  • Tina20
    Tina20 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Totally understand your worries OP. I have a daughter and if something caused my child pain, shock and stress then I would be FUMING.

I would definitely send the package to the company, although I wouldn't expect more than goodwill vouchers and an apology.

I recently ate one of these microwave frozen meals, and because it had been dropped while frozen the plastic shattered in places. I'm guessing something similar happen to you, because of either poor packaging or poor handling.

All the best, hope your daughter is ok.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure