NRAM/Northern Rock Debt?

Options
I took out an unsecured loan for £1000 along with my mortgage in 2005 with Northern Rock. I recieved a letter from NRAM Debt Recovery department on Thursday (out of the blue) stating that i have defaulted on this loan and because i have not responded to previous letter?, it has been passed to the Debt Recovery Dept!!

However i have been paying this loan for 7 years now and according to my last statement I still am! I explained this to NRAM over the phone and even the man i was talking to on the phone said it was probably i mistake. My problem is that i have been waiting 3 days now for an answer from them with no success,i have rang them numerous times only to be fobbed off.

I have always kept up to date with my payments and have not defaulted.
I am going on holiday this week but i am stressed about this debt and feel helpless, can anyone give any advice please?

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    mikep72 wrote: »
    I took out an unsecured loan for £1000 along with my mortgage in 2005 with Northern Rock. I recieved a letter from NRAM Debt Recovery department on Thursday (out of the blue) stating that i have defaulted on this loan and because i have not responded to previous letter?, it has been passed to the Debt Recovery Dept!!

However i have been paying this loan for 7 years now and according to my last statement I still am! I explained this to NRAM over the phone and even the man i was talking to on the phone said it was probably i mistake. My problem is that i have been waiting 3 days now for an answer from them with no success,i have rang them numerous times only to be fobbed off.

I have always kept up to date with my payments and have not defaulted.
    I am going on holiday this week but i am stressed about this debt and feel helpless, can anyone give any advice please?

I would suggest you put your complaint in writing to the company at the following address:

Customer Relations
    Northern Rock House
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE3 4PL

Enclose a copy of the letter from NRAM and a copy of your statement showing you are up to date with repayments. Send your letter of complaint by recorded delivery, and retain a copy for yourself.

I feel sure with these details the company will have your issue fully resolved by the time you return from holiday.

Enjoy your well earned break :)
  • mikep72
    mikep72 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    I would suggest you put your complaint in writing to the company at the following address:

Customer Relations
    Northern Rock House
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE3 4PL

Enclose a copy of the letter from NRAM and a copy of your statement showing you are up to date with repayments. Send your letter of complaint by recorded delivery, and retain a copy for yourself.

I feel sure with these details the company will have your issue fully resolved by the time you return from holiday.

Enjoy your well earned break :)
    Thank you for your advice.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi mikep72, thank you for your query regarding NRAM
    As you have already been in contact via telephone without success I would suggest you write to NRAM stating you dispute that you are in arrears as you have been making monthly payments to the loan and you are confused that you have been sent this letter and ask them to provide a statement of account so you can check the payments you have made against the payments they have received. If there are any payments missing they may be in a suspense account and if you contact NRAM they should be able to re-allocate the payments or may just state letter has been sent to you by mistake.
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure