Brian carter solicitors water bill

Options
hi Ive recieved a letter from brian carter solicitors and fredrickson international about a water bill dept, for £3163.50. the bill itself has attached a £2480.17 arrears.
I had the same bill in 2008 from brian carter and set up a direct debit to clear the arrears, i have bank statements to prove that they have had nearly £2400 pounds of me in the last 3 1/2 yrs. Yet they have only cleared £312.00 off the dept. The direct debits only stopped in january of this yr to which i thought i had paid off the arrears. But have now recieved a letter from the same company saying i owe them over £3000 again. I cannot get hold of anyone in brian carter i keep beeing passed to fredrickson which say its a different dept. I have since got copies of tghe water bills from welsh water to prove they have not been clearing the bebt but taking my money. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If they were instructed by Welsh Water to collect the money from you then the debt now exists between the bailiff and welsh water.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi leanne1978, thanks for your enquiry re Brain carter,
    I would suggest you need to write to Brian Carter stating you dispute this debt and ask them to provide you with a statement of account showing all the payments and charges added to the account in the last 4 years and I would suggest you give them a time limit within which to respond (14 or 21 days) and ask them not to take any collection activity until they respond. You should keep a copy of the letter and send it recorded delivery. Sometimes payments made to a debt collection agency are left in a suspense account as the debt collection agency cannot identify who is making the payments but if you can show the payments you have made they should be able to match them up. The other possibility is that the water company have been adding new charges each year if you have not been maintaining your ongoing water supply.

It there is outstanding arrears on the account you may be able to get help from Welsh Water. They have a grant scheme called the Customer Assistance Fund to help people in water arrears whereby if you pay your ongoing water costs for 12 months then all arrears can be written off. In order to apply you will need to see a debt adviser at a citizens advice bureau. To find your local citizens advice bureau go to www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
    hope this has been off assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Do they have a CCJ, if not you may be better forcing them to get one, you will get a fixed deal from the court and only on what they can prove you owe.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure