Next directory say I owe £800 +

Hi
I have been sent a bill by Next Directory for over £800! Needless to say I know nothing about it.
I rang them and they said they would lock the account and somebody from their security would ring me on Monday (they didn't).
I have sent them a letter saying I have no knowledge of any such debt and asking them to refrain from contacting me unless they can find proof that the debt is mine.
Is there anything more I can do?
Thanks in advance.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Not really - although it would be best to assist them in their enquiries rather than slam the door and not help further. If your identity has been hijacked, it mays be useful to look at your credit file to see if any other searches have been made, just the £2 enquiry should be enough,
  • Thanks for that advice I have done that and the next directory search and account is on it! So is one for another company I don't recognise. Not sure what to do now can anyone help?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
  • whitelabel
    whitelabel Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    contact your bank and let them know yoru security on other accounts seems to have been compromised and to ask to monitor your account for unusual payments in future

contact the other company listed and let them know too

contact the credit agency and ask for a note to be put on that those debts are not you

check you computer for malware
    check all bank accounts and credit cards with a fine tooth comb
    are you due to have been sent any cards replacements recently ?
    ensure you shred and destroy all personal data rather than just put in the bin
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi thin white duke, thank you for your query regarding Next.
    By contacting Next and obtaining a copy of your credit reference you have taken the correct first steps in dealing with this and changing passwords and informing your bank may also be a useful precaution. There are also a few other steps you can take which include
    1.Report the matter to the police, and get a crime reference number
    2.Check with the credit reference agencies (details below) whether any applications for credit have been made in your name. If they have, you can ask to have the information removed from your file
    3.If you suspect that someone has got hold of your details by stealing your mail, or has fraudulently applied to get mail redirected from your address, you should contact the Royal Mail Customer Enquiry Number on: 08457 740740
    4.Contact CIFAS, the UK's Fraud Prevention Service at ·https://www.cifas.org.uk. For a small fee they will make sure that anyone applying for credit in your name is automatically double-checked.
    Hope this is of some assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure