Uniform tax rebate

Options
Hi my husband is in the army and we have heard he may be able to get a tax rebate because he wears a uniform. Is this right and how do we claim?
Thanks xxx

Comments

• TM1976
    TM1976 Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Hi my husband is in the army and we have heard he may be able to get a tax rebate because he wears a uniform. Is this right and how do we claim?
    Thanks xxx

HM Forces personnel can't claim this as they already receive an allowance within their pay to cover these costs.
  • babybutterfly
    Options
    Thanks for that. I actually spoke to someone at HMRC as my neighbour told me her husband had got a uniform rebate as hes a soldier and it turns out only the higher ranking soldiers with a high tax code get a uniform allowance in their pay and that my husband should apply for a rebate.
    Also as hes an army mechanic and has to buy some of his tools he might be able to claim for those too! yey!
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. I actually spoke to someone at HMRC as my neighbour told me her husband had got a uniform rebate as hes a soldier and it turns out only the higher ranking soldiers with a high tax code get a uniform allowance in their pay and that my husband should apply for a rebate.
    Also as hes an army mechanic and has to buy some of his tools he might be able to claim for those too! yey!

That information does not follow HMRC guidance - nor the experiences of several others on the large thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=27967 relating to uniform allowance. Where all Forces claims are being turned down :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=51020363&postcount=1139
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure