Great 'When's best to supermarket shop for discounts?' Hunt

Comments

• Thanks for that Rachel_123 - Waitrose is our local supermarket and we have actually not found we are spending any more on groceries since moving here. Part of that is because we tend to buy or meat when it is 'red labelled'! So it's nice to know when the red labels start going on.
    Had noooooo idea people could be so rude to shop assistants! How awful! And then to try and justify it by saying that you are on a low income... pfffffffff. It's a shame.
  • I think you have to walk 5 miles in another person's moccasins before you can critise them. We as 'bargain hunters' who are polite and give the shop assistant room and time will not understand what it is like when people are not like that and shop assistants who are knocked into and sworn at will not realise how upsetting it is to be lumped into that catagory when you are not one of the rude ones.

I would like to thanks all the people that bothered to give us tips and hints on reductions as they didn't have to they weren't gaining anything but I will be now as I will know when to nip into Morrisons to 'bag a bargain' ... THANKS !!!
  • mmmkbb
    mmmkbb Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Thanks to all the staff who have been giving us the tips x

Tesco is my main shopping place. N I always go after I finish work at 5pm. I love pick out 75% reduced flowers, salads, n lots of veggies n fruits. This has considerably reduce the amount I spent on my weekly grocery shopping

But I do have to admit that I do feel like a lowlife/cheapskate while I wait among others for the sa to put the stickers on. Some people can b rude n ignorant.
    Pretend they din c u n park the trolley in front of the reduction section n load their own trolley up.

My oh prefer to stand at the far end while I go into the warzone :mad:

I have 100% respect for anybody that work. In fact I love u all sales assistant, so can I have your "gun" pleased:D
  • RossDave10
    RossDave10 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Hi all,

I work at Morrisons..

It is a Morrisons policy for all Grocery reductions to be re-reduced on Sunday Night/Monday Morning, as each label has a week number printed and it is policy to have the current week number on all items..

Therefore best time to get a deal is on a monday morn, well around 11, once they are all done, as reductions are made each week until an item goes down to 5p and eventually sells, so you may find stuff there at 5p, but then you may not, but on a monday is when the prices will be freshly lowered!
  • I work at Morissons on Fresh Prep which is the instore made sandwiches, pastas and pizzas.

The reductions are meant to be done based on a scale but it is really totally dependent on the person doing it.

The pizzas and pastas are all meant to have a little bit knocked off their price (10%) the day before the use by date so encourage a sale. This often leads to customers picking them up and asking whether they'll be reduced further which can be a little irritating when you're flat out doing close down on your own.

The fresh made sandwiches are usually reduced by 25-40% a few hours before close. It goes to about 60-70% around 2hrs before close then the final prices are 45p for sandwiches without meat and 55p for those with meat. This is because any leftovers go into the staff vending machine because their use by date is the next day. They're made that day and sold that day.

Pastas and pizzas usually follow a similar structure, only with the 10% thing. These are often sold for no less than about 50p given that the pizzas are freezable and that 50p is less that a 6th of their normal price.

Bakery tends to stick everything down to 9p fairly early on because they're always busy, but may just be in the Bromsgrove store where I work

Advice for bargain hunters:

• Don't do the whole crowding and shoving thing. It really motivates me to find something else to do.
    • I enjoy having a little chat if you're polite and friendly.
    • Please don't shove stuff infront of me and ask for it to be reduced; its actually against store policy to reduce items customers are asking to be done. However, I do understand it may be difficult to bring the product to the worker's attention.
    • And don't wait there pretending to be looking at stuff. Our new target is HOT: Hello, offer, thank. If we ask if theres anything we can help you with it may be a bit awkward when you go "oh i was actually just waiting to see what you were reducing".
    I'd like to finish by saying fair play to reduction shoppers. You can get some bargains and a lot of stuff is freezeable. When its my break I always time it as the bakery sticks the donuts down to 9p, then return to work 10 minutes later feeling a little sick ;)
  • omendata
    omendata Posts: 102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Will never understand customers who treat staff in these types of stores badly much less swear or threaten them over what a 10p reduction - The staff are quite right in the way they treat the customers if i was staff i would too.

Serving the public is a nightmare job in any scenario amazing how people change when they enter a supermarket.

No-one seems to mention what days are best or worst.
    Being unemployed i have become an expert in finding the best days and time sat my own store.

Asda - Best days seem to be Wed and Thu and worst days are Mon and Friday.
  • This is mainly for my branch of Netto, but it's probably a good rule of thumb.

Monday/Tuesday - fresh fruit/veg/bread from the weekend (3 days shelf life)
    Wednesday - some raw meats (4 days shelf life)
    Thursday/Friday - rest of the raw meat and other chilled stuff that had a shorter shelf life.

Sandwiches come in every day, with 2 days of shelf life, but get reduced to 25p on last day of sale.

Cheese/Bacon/Butter/Some yogurts get checked once a week, usualy on the quiet days, Thursday or Friday, They tend to have at least 3 Weeks shelf life.

As a rule we try to start a weekend with full, fresh stock, because our last wagon is friday morning, then no delivery till monday.

other stores may vary.
  • blazemore
    blazemore Posts: 57 Forumite
    MSE_Lee wrote: »
    Great 'When's best to supermarket shop for discounts?' Hunt

[FONT=&quot]The very best supermarket reductions are on fresh goods that are going out of date, but what’s the best time to grab these bargains?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]I’d like any MoneySavers who work or have worked at any of the big supermarkets to dish the dirt on stores’ official reduction policies. This way we’ll be able to spot patterns and figure out the best times to get down to the reduced aisle.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Please let us know:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]What times of day do you reduce prices?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Who has the authority to reduce prices?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on it’s sell-by date are you allowed to?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store?[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]And any other useful tips …[/FONT]

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Isn't this a duplicate thread?
  • [FONT=&quot]Please let us know:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for? - WAITROSE
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]What times of day do you reduce prices? - 13:00, THEN REVIEWED HOURLY
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate) - DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH IS TO BE SOLD, STAFF DECIDE
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)? 60MINS-30MINS BEFORE CLOSING, STORE BAKED BREAD REDUCED 2HOURS BEFORE CLOSING
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Who has the authority to reduce prices? ANY PARTNER
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on it’s sell-by date are you allowed to? YES, But Do Not Continually Ask, Follow, Hover about by us.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store? n/a
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]And any other useful tips …Definate rapport with staff, just be polite, don't badger us about reductions, we would rather sell stuff for 10pence than throw it away, but if we have not had time to get to reduce, your continually asking, is not going to make time. Check out service counters, for red price reductions
      [/FONT]
    Starting Debt £23,789.68
    :j Total paid in to date £2446.45:j
    Total Remaining Debt £21343.23
    :j
  • eeja
    eeja Posts: 374 Forumite
    Xmas puddings Mathews Walker brand best before end April
    selling at 10 pounds (499 baht)
    Just spoke to K.Suwit who is in charge and was offered a full
    90% discount ie just one pound (49 baht)! There are dozens left so hurry if in Bangkok.
    Note : if you don't ask you would never get the reduction.
    Yes this store is packed full of British food due to the weakness of the pound.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure