Kids' presents sorted without going OTT

Options
I am so relieved:)
All I have to get now are stocking fillers for them. Max £10 each, or ten items, if I can get cheaper things I will.
THey each have one 'big toy' from toys r us - reduced so they are getting more bangs for their bucks;). £20 approx each, a microwave hot water bottle each from avon, 2 pairs of pj's each about £10 each child, and an art set each which was £4.
I am not going to get into debt over this and the kids have got things they really want (hot wheels, barbie horse head - yuk but she loves it, and a playmobil set)
Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.

Comments

• embb
    embb Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Options
    Well done you :T I always go OTT but my excuse is they don't get anything through the year, and I like them to be opening presents for at least half an hour :D I don't spend loads though which is the best thing :)
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't think I'd gone OTT this year. However, last weekend I did an inventory of everything I bought so I'd remember where I'd put when I come to wrap it up :o and I've got loads!!:eek:

I didn't go over budget thanks to Amazon but I do think some things will be kept back for birthdays. I can't seem to help myself, I get more excited than the kids.

Well done Sarahsaver on sticking to your guns, I wish I had your willpower.
    :smileyhea
  • ashli_2
    ashli_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Sarahsaver! :T

I have done all my shopping for ds too, to a budget of £50 :D

Thanks to this site I am completely organised for Christmas and I've cut my spending right down.

This might just be the first year ever *fingers crossed* that I won't be absolutely broke in December! :beer:
    Total Original Debt: £30404.24
    Current debt: £18586.16
    Total Paid: £11857.74 38.95% :T
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And you know what when I asked my kids what they wanted DS said apart from hot wheels he wants a pair of trousers:) DD wants a 'big bar of chocolate' The thing is as well they get presents from relatives and friends so they have lots of things to open anyway. I hope that I am setting them up well for the future so they learn to be happy within their means;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • maow425
    maow425 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    And you know what when I asked my kids what they wanted DS said apart from hot wheels he wants a pair of trousers:) DD wants a 'big bar of chocolate' (...)I hope that I am setting them up well for the future so they learn to be happy within their means;)

Well done you! :T :T :T I think you've done a smashing job, if when asked, your kids say they want something like a pair of trousers or a bar of chocolate! :T :T :T
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    I am so relieved:)
    All I have to get now are stocking fillers for them. Max £10 each, or ten items, if I can get cheaper things I will.
    THey each have one 'big toy' from toys r us - reduced so they are getting more bangs for their bucks;). £20 approx each, a microwave hot water bottle each from avon, 2 pairs of pj's each about £10 each child, and an art set each which was £4.
    I am not going to get into debt over this and the kids have got things they really want (hot wheels, barbie horse head - yuk but she loves it, and a playmobil set)

Thank god its not just me that thinks those things are just too weird!! Well done as well for being soo organised. We have pretty much all of dd's apart from a few bits for her stocking. Won't cost much though. Have bought some felt tips that wash off everything for £2.50, there will be choccy money (99p) and some socks and a choccy father christmas.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    And you know what when I asked my kids what they wanted DS said apart from hot wheels he wants a pair of trousers:) DD wants a 'big bar of chocolate' The thing is as well they get presents from relatives and friends so they have lots of things to open anyway. I hope that I am setting them up well for the future so they learn to be happy within their means;)
    I know exactly what you mean SS as my DD1 has demonstrated this year. Last year, DD1 (9) 'understood' about Father Christmas a week before the big day. :( We had spent on average £100 for each DD, trying to get all that they had written on their lists to FC. This year however, I noticed that DD1s list was very short - with many items originally added and then crossed off. When I asked her about this, she said, "the others were too much money". They were not excessively expensive items, but the fact that she has consciously considered the full implications of Christmas, I was extremely proud of her. I don't believe you can call a child spoilt when their only expectation is that Father Christmas comes to all good children.

I have surprised myself this year at how much I have saved, made easier by a whole host of vouchers I have accumulated off various 'paid 2 click' sites, and have managed to buy the girls their main pressie without spending a penny. :j

Have you tried Primark for PJ's? They are fab, got some fantastic fleecy ones for £3 a pair, that have a scotty dog on and my DD thinks that they are 'Radley' PJs (same as the bags) :D Also, they do satin Chinese ones that wash up beautifully at £4 a pair. They come wrapped in a gold ribbon and look very special.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • prophecy_grrl
    Options
    there will be choccy money (99p)

I was in Wilkinson today and they have white and milk chocolate coins 99p and they are buy one get one free - bargain!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    frizz_head wrote:
    Have you tried Primark for PJ's? They are fab, got some fantastic fleecy ones for £3 a pair, that have a scotty dog on and my DD thinks that they are 'Radley' PJs (same as the bags) :D Also, they do satin Chinese ones that wash up beautifully at £4 a pair. They come wrapped in a gold ribbon and look very special.

Thanks for that frizzy, they sound nice - I'll have a look there tomorrow - the price of PJ's for the kids always depresses me!!

I've not done too badly this year but I have bought too much for DD because I've got alot of things I wanted when I was nearly four but didn't get (girls world head/barbie, etc..). Her list consists of a "baff" for her babies (dolls) with sponge and towel, and a ball and teddy for her baby brother (ahhhhh). I'm also still wrestling with the guilt of spending alot more on her than on DS even though I've bought for Christmas and his first birthday on Boxing Day, but what can you do when he's got so many of DD's old toys.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • Juicy_Tube
    Options
    frizz_head wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean SS as my DD1 has demonstrated this year. Last year, DD1 (9) 'understood' about Father Christmas a week before the big day. :( We had spent on average £100 for each DD, trying to get all that they had written on their lists to FC. This year however, I noticed that DD1s list was very short - with many items originally added and then crossed off. When I asked her about this, she said, "the others were too much money". They were not excessively expensive items, but the fact that she has consciously considered the full implications of Christmas, I was extremely proud of her. I don't believe you can call a child spoilt when their only expectation is that Father Christmas comes to all good children.

I have surprised myself this year at how much I have saved, made easier by a whole host of vouchers I have accumulated off various 'paid 2 click' sites, and have managed to buy the girls their main pressie without spending a penny. :j

I was just going to say about Primark PJ's-they are wonderful!

I bought 2 pairs for £4 for DS-great quality and design, and easy to get on! First time I have bought from Primark-delighted so far..

JT x
    It's great in here! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family