New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Is there a problem with Crown Currency?

5K replies 527.9K views
slightlyconfused1slightlyconfused1
317 posts
Forumite
IMPORTANT UPDATES 5 October

For the latest information on this story ince this was first posted.

Please see the
Most of the early posts on this thread are now out of date.

Hi

I just went on Crown Currency to order some $ and it states there is a technical problem and redirects you to ICE who have a lower exchange rate.

There is a post on trip advisor that says there is a problem.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Replies

• Think that they may have gone bust - seen some other threads on here and also I have been trying to call them for 3 days 0800 number goes to deadair then either engaged or unobtainable, there main number 01*** eventually gets connected then a message to say the other person has hung up, you may get the option to leave a message but when you do you do not get a call back.
    Therefore have decided to go for another company, however apparently paying companies by bank transfer you are not covered if the company goes bust - Bupa offer payment by credir card so you will be covered

Daren
  • Hi ,
    Long time lurker but am need of some help and advice please?

My self, partner and family are due to go on holiday next week, and ordered 350 euros from Crown currency exchange.

I fully researched the company on here and other forums etc and transfered £300.83 across to them.

Funds were showing cleared from my bank account, but had not recieved an email from them.

After several failed attempts to get hold of them i finally did. The first person i spoke to said that the funds had been returned to my account as they had a problem with their bank account. I Checked and no money had been returned.
    The second said that Barclays had frozen their account, gave me their banks numbers and told me to call them.
    I did this and barclays said under data protection there was no information that they could give me.

Called crown gain, and outlined my problem again, they said there is nothing they could do and when i questioned them they hung up.

So after calling, my bank, the police and trading standards it looks like there is no way to get this money back, Im gutted as we saved so hard for two years for this holiday and now its looking like we will have to cancel.
    Could anyone advise please on where to go from here?
    PLEASE NO ONE ELSE USE THIS COMPANY!!
    I know i have been massively stupid in using them, but when i saw they were reccomened on here i honestly thought they would be legit!
    Thanks
  • i HAVE BVEEN A LONG TIME USER of Crown and I have tried to get in touch myself today as i too have currency orders with them. After several failed attempts as the person above i finally got an answer from someone. I have been informed to contact Barclays on this number 0117 948 3306 alternatively to e-mail [EMAIL="john.varley@barclays.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] who apprantly has answers hope this helps anyone who is as worried as i am
    Vodka Martini
    Shaken or Stirred
    Do I look like I give a damn
  • AltAlt
    353 posts
    Forumite
    007JUNKY wrote: »
    i HAVE BVEEN A LONG TIME USER of Crown and I have tried to get in touch myself today as i too have currency orders with them. After several failed attempts as the person above i finally got an answer from someone. I have been informed to contact Barclays on this number 0117 948 3306 alternatively to e-mail [EMAIL="john.varley@barclays.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] who apprantly has answers hope this helps anyone who is as worried as i am
    Did you contact Barclays and what was the response?
  • We have had the same problem! We should have had £400 worth of dollars delivered today. When they didn't arrive we rang Crown who told us they are unsure of the exact position but the rumours are they have gone bust.

They told my husband to ring Barclays which he did, but was told by them that due to data protection, they were unable to discuss the matter with him.

My husband then rang Crown back who told him an announcement will be made shortly.

Does anybody know if we will have a chance of getting this money back if they have gone bust?
  • 01736751621 - is the direct number for Crown Currency Exchange

500 quid left my account this morning for currency delivery in November.

Oh dear.
  • sarahfb wrote: »
    I know i have been massively stupid in using them

Why?

We all like a good rate and they offered the best rates most of the time.

You haven't been stupid, but sh*t happens sometimes.
  • 007JUNKY wrote: »
    I have been informed to contact Barclays on this number 0117 948 3306 alternatively to e-mail [EMAIL="john.varley@barclays.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] who apprantly has answers hope this helps anyone who is as worried as i am

John Varley is the Barclays Group Chief Executive so I doubt he'll take your call!
  • Have tried to contact barclays via e-mail and had no response (suprise!! :-s) will see what happens hopfully something will be said soon. Still no answer from phones now and now no response to e-mail to company either
    Vodka Martini
    Shaken or Stirred
    Do I look like I give a damn
  • UPDATE: I rang my bank (the brilliant First Direct) and the money left this morning, but was immediately returned, so luckily I haven't lost out! Phew :D

Doesn't look good for CCE though!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms