Taking over my dad's debts

Options
Hello everyone,

I have heard a lot about money saving expert forum and was hoping to get some advice.

About six years ago I found out that my dad was in debt. I only found out when a court order was taken by the debt management company Weightmans. I called them up (with permission from my dad) and arrange for payment plan. I managed to pay this off in 2005 and though it was the end of it.

Today I have found out that my dad owes another £8000 through another company called Equidebt (On behaf of RBS). Now being technology minded I have searched the net and the money saving expect forum and found that this company has form for contacting people who were previously in debt and asking for money through scare tactics. I am in a position to make payments as I am currently employed. But I cannot ask my dad about the loan, as he is in intensive care on a life support machine. I know that the company do not have to deal with me as I do not have power of attorney, but I some advice on what to do next?

Thanks in advance for your help

Jason.

Comments

• isy1011
    isy1011 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt want to read and run. I no absolutely nothing about debt companies but just wanted to say how sorry I am.
    Egg April 10 £6600 Jan £4678 now £0
    Santander Jan £3414 April £3338
    Virgin April£2643 Aug £3155 April £7109
    Barclaycard Oct £1476 April £1287
    So far paid off 17% of c.c. debt:T
  • Barricade
    Options
    Jason,

Firstly, I'm sorry your father is currently ill, and wish him well soon.

The circumstances of this debt really depend on when it was taken out, and the last payment. If it was before 2004, it could well be statute barred and they are trying their luck.
    If you have documentation regarding this, it would be helpful.

It may be worth taking a longshot, and writing to these people to explain the circumstances, and asking to hold off on any action (i.e. recovery) until more information can be established once your father is in a better condition.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure there will be others along with their helpful advice.

I wish your father well.

B
    Geek by Nature.. Geek by Profession!
    Home Owner as of 01/10/2014
    Married to my Soul mate 15/06/2018
  • dancingfairy
    Options
    You could try one of the debt charities such as National Debtline for advice but I agree with the previous posters thoughts- try writing to them and explaining the situation.
    Hope things improve soon for you.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    if he is on a life support machine, just send the company a letter and state that your father will be in touch when he gets better, if the worse happens you will not be responsible for his debt, but it will come out of any estate that your father may own. how can he keep getting loans etc if he is in no position to repay them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure