PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What's your daily routine ...

Options

Comments

• juliapenguin
    Options
    My son is grown up and gone now :( but I've got a new and exhausting job instead! I get up at 7ish, wash up and tidy round for 5 minutes before leaving for university (Monday) or work (Tuesday to Thursday) at 7.45 (I'm quick at getting ready!). I get back around 6pm, so start cooking immediately and have usually finished eating and washing up by 8ish. We don't have a television, so we usually sit and read/study or listen to the radio (on Listen Again if there's nothing on that we fancy) or watch the iPlayer on the laptop. I try to tidy round before I go to bed. On Fridays I either visit my mother (about 6 hours altogether on the train, but I can do uni work), study at home, or (bliss) do something nice with a friend. Saturday mornings is housework time - clean bathroom and kitchen, feed the washing machine, OH vacuums - and walk into town to go to the market and do other food shopping. Sunday is more study or going out with OH but at night I try to iron...:rolleyes:

What's helped enormously is realising that sheets and clothes don't automatically get dirty after a particular amount of time - I use my common sense and my sensitive nose.... Of course, I wouldn't wear knickers or socks twice :rotfl: but anything else gets a good inspection at bedtime and gets hung up again if it's still spotless and smells 100% fine. I'm a teacher so I'm very particular about smelling nice (does anyone ever forget smelly teachers from school or whiffy colleagues????) but it's saved me so much time and money. Same with bedding - in the summer I wash it loads more than I do in the winter, again using my fussy nose....

The biggest help of all is having moved to a tiny house. We've now got half the floor space = half the vacuuming, and we can't let it get messy because it would be unbearable. I'll never live in a big house again - I'm so cosy here.
  • longtimelurker_2
    Options
    z
    The biggest help of all is having moved to a tiny house. We've now got half the floor space = half the vacuuming, and we can't let it get messy because it would be unbearable. I'll never live in a big house again - I'm so cosy here.
    Hehe I find the opposite - we've moved from a teeny flat to a huge one and I do bits to keep the standard up and do a deep clean when it needs it. I have a very high standard of cleanliness (my brother thinks I have some sort of problem with it!) but I find in the bigger house the mess gets... erm... dispersed over a larger area :D That, and we have many more rooms so we can safely have a bit of a messy corner without it staring at us!
  • LittleMissAspie
    Options
    I have a weekly and monthly schedule that accounts for everything, although I'm quite slow at doing things so I never usually get through it all.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think some of us have got into the habit of doing things that aren't necesssary - although I dont work now, I used to be very efficient :)
    Washing smalls every night and leaving them on the airer overnight keeps that particular pile down.
    Shoving a casserole in a crockpot takes only minutes.
    Keep the livingroom and bathroom clean & tidy, leave the rest for a weekly blitz, and make them all help with that !
    I'm in this house almost 24/7. Only exercise I get is the garden in summer, I miss walking.
  • marri_lou
    marri_lou Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    My house is clean and tidy, I try to so an hour a day of housework, and that can include laundry, bathroom cleans, hoovering only takes 10 minutes or so. Its back to that little and often really. I usually have a load of washing up on the clothes horse drying at any point in time, when its dried, its folded and put away. It really only takes minutes if you do it there and then. Its leaving it to build up thats the problem.

re foods, I try to make meals as quickly and easily as possible. I make hubs sandwiches for work the night before when I'm making that last tea run, I use leftovers where I can

Last night I put on a 500g bag of split peas to soak, today I boiled them. Bagged them into 4 250g cooked portions and shoved in the freezer, that way if I need soup its just grating the veggies into stock. Or curry is justheating a sauce and throwing in the cooked peas.

I think its a lot of organisations kills though, once thats done you're laughing.

P.S I study full time and work part time.
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i don't really have a set routine but i'm a mum of 3 so i guess i just have to fit it in.

I generally get up about 6am ish.kids will wake about then aswell. I will let kids play in their room's until i'm washed dressed etc which i generally do in about 15min's. if the kids need a bath i will get them bathed and dressed hair done before breakie. this usually all done by 7.
    then at 7 we all come downstairs , hubby will be awake by now. kids sit at dinning table ( in the kitchen) and have their breakfast. while there eating i make the lunch boxes as they can tell me what they want. my daughter is at school so has packed lunch every day, son only has packed lunch on the days he stays for lunch at nursery and baby is 9 months so not yet. I will have between 2 and 3 packed lunch to make a morning. hubby takes packed lunch. although i might make him a hot lunch like jacket spud and put in food flask with beans and cheese. but i will cook the spud night before and nuke in morning. i make huby and i a cuppa. dd sometimes has one if not kids will have milk, water or squash.
    breakies will be toast, cereal,sandwiches depending on what is wanted. sometime i push boat out and make bacon butties.
    once breakie done i fill up dishwasher with breakfast bit's and kids go into lounge. as they are all dressed and sorted i will then give baby his bottle .
    prob now by about 8 ish once every fed and downstairs all neat and tidy as hubby has gone for work i will then hoover downstairs and make the bed's.
    kids generally play, talk , read stories , help me. they go up and clean teeth then get coats , shoes etc on while i'm putting baby in his buggy. Aim to leave the house 8.30-8.40am.
    Walk to school.
    Drop off DD at reception class, DS off to nursery then walk home.
    Home by about 9.10am at latest. Baby generally has fallen asleep by now so i will hoover up stairs put on laundy if needed , put clothes away , have another few cups of tea, wash floors do any job's i wanna do while baby asleep. Sometimes he stays asleep till 11 which is when i leave house to walk back to school to pick son up from nursery at 11.20
    Walk back home, prob home by 11.40. Ryan will flop on sofa shattered while i'm sorting lunch. then both boys come and sit at dinning table and eat lunch. generally sandwiches and yoghurts, loads of fruit. then once done, all lunch things go into dishwasher and i then hoover again under table and Ryan will play while i feed Baby.
    After lunch and all fed ryan and i will play games with baby or he wil happily play on his own depending on what he wants to do. If i need to make any cakes i will do them now, get dinner underway and do anything i need to.
    Then at 2.30 i will get boys ready to walk to school and get their sister.
    Once home about 3 ish DD is starving so will raid cupboard but she generally liek a hot choc or cup of tea followed by a home made flapjack/cake etc or toast. then will have a banana or piece of fruit while sat at table telling me she doesn't like the dinner i'm cooking ,lol.
    Hubby gets home about 4.30ish . make a cup and i'll finish getting dinner ready. we have dinner about 5 ish. once dinner eaten dishwasher loaded, kitchen completely tidied. then spend time with kids getting them ready for bed, read school books etc. ryan goes to bed about 6.45/7. baby goes about 7ish. dd goes 7.15/7.30. any jobs i have left are done so everything tidy for morning and hubby and i then have an evening to ourself's. go to bed about 10.30/11.30. with a hot choc or horlick's, lol.
    Prob forgetten loads but i don't really have a routine i just know things i like to get done and do them as i go along. everything is all very easy going and relaxed. But i like my evening to be chilled and relaxed and i like it when i wake up in the mornign i have nothing to do except do stuff for that day. i will plan the night before what i need for the next day and make sure i get it done.

I'm lucky in the fact i don't have to work and the only set things i have to do is get children to school. i can make my day as busy or as empty as i want or need. Hubby is mega easy going if he see's something needs doing or he thinks i need help he will do it. As i speak ( although he making a mess) he is cooking us steak for dinner so we can have a romantic meal together :j . once kids in bed.

weekends are days when we do very little in the house as where i've kept it up together through the week we can relax. Will generally see family on saturday or go to town if need to , take kids to park , feed ducks etc. But sunday is a day where we do nothing. We play games with kids, Painting, I make cakes we have a roast or main meal at lunch time ( apart from today as Ryan been very poorly). In warmer weather we will be out in garden most of weekend and have BBQ both days.

sure there loads i forgotten,lol.
  • GardenMillie
    Options
    I try to do a little each day. I've never been one for saving up for a big clean/paperwork etc. I find it much easier to cope by doing a little bit often. I also meal-plan which helps and often write 'to do' lists and as I'm getting older I am more realistic in what I can achieve. I try to plan ahead for things like birthdays - they are all on the kitchen calendar so I can make sure I have a card/stamp/present instead of rushing around at the last minute and over-spending.

If I'm watching TV in the evening and there are adverts I always try and get up every advert break and do something constructive e.g. make sandwich for work next day, lay out clothes, clean toilet, do dishes whatever but it helps me feel a bit less lazy too. :T
  • BusyGirl
    BusyGirl Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Funnily enough I've decided NOT to try to fit it all in anymore.:D
    As you can see by my username I always seem to be busy and sometimes I need to just stop myself.

I teach 2 and a half days per week and often have schoolwork to do at home. I do some voluntary work one morning each week at my church and I teach sunday school each week too, which also requires preparation time at home. DH teaches full time and we have 2 girls (12 and 8) who need taking to various things eg Guides, Brownies, Orchestra, Trampoline club, swimming, youth club, various parties etc

I don't work at the beginning of the week so I try to fit in most of the housework and shopping then and I always do a meal plan and plan simple meals for the days I work on. I batch cook so that we have plenty of 'ready' meals in the freezer and use my sc too. On a Friday we have a 'lazy tea' which is usually oven chips with pizza/fish/hamburgers etc or sometimes a takeaway as we are usually always shattered.:rolleyes:

I've decided not to feel guilty about being supermum/superwife anymore as everyone is fed and watered and has clean clothes to wear. I just do my best.;)
    This morning we went to church and after lunch I decided to lie on the couch and read the paper which I did and then ended up falling asleep.:rotfl: So it's been a productive day!

Don't try to fit it all, just do what you can and take time for yourself too.:D
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    hi all

im mum to 2 year old girl run our business from home and jst got a puppy !! argh
    my day starts at 7am up washed all downstairs cuppa dog let out breakfasts for us and dog
    spend morning in house cleaning washing clothes etc
    12/1pm lunch for everyone
    afternoon doing business stuff
    4pm prepare tea eaat for 5.30
    clean all up agian
    bed bath for dd by 8pm spend the night looking after pup and on here lol
    i make a rule no matter what i do no clean at all on a night
  • brokenwings
    Options
    i work a weird job which is full time but means i am home for perhaps three whole days each week and then away for approx 4-5 whole days and nights each week

i HAVE to have a list or daily planner
    its almost like an old school timetable where my days of the week are divided up into blocks of early morning, mid morning, lunch time, early afternoon, tea time, after tea

i do laundry once a week
    i iron once a week
    i clean bathroom once a week
    every day i am home i do kitchen and hoovering/dusting where needed

one day a week i do a mass bake and cook ( usually when laundry is in)
    once a week i do a grocery shop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport