queen's graduation gowns

Options
suited-aces
suited-aces Posts: 1,938 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Embarrassing question, but does anybody know what size these are? A rather unhelpful chap at qub that I rang there now said "standard size". It's just that I'm due to graduate on Tuesday, but being on the larger size, I'm a bit worried that it won't fit me right.

I'm a size xxl in hoodies, if that's any guide.
I'm not bad at golf, I just get better value for money when I take more shots!

Comments

• caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Options
    It was a while ago that I graduated from UUJ but from memory the gowns would have been big enough to take to Glastonbury. I'm not sure if they come in more than one size but given that I wear an XL hoodie I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll not be the first person who's not a size zero to graduate.
  • suited-aces
    suited-aces Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. Hoping queens are similar
  • cooki2222
    cooki2222 Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its only a cape really as long as you dont have a head like stewie from family guy you should be ok
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah, they are voluminous!
    Have a great day!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Options
    Size shouldn't be an issue but when I graduated (2001) the gowns and hoods hadn't been cleaned so most of us spent hours the evening before cleaning the previous year's graduates' food spillages off them. :eek: God only knows what Queens had spent the previous years cleaning charge on as it wasn't on cleaning. :mad: I hope things have improved but be prepared.

Oh and have a lovely day, you've earned it.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They are big!! You can always slip into the loos and try it on to humour yourself, if you did have a problem you could call back in and ask them to poke around and see can they find a replacement

If you're female think about what you're going to do with the hood part, it keeps slipping back and strangling you unless you pin it to something.

and have a great day!
  • caz2703
    caz2703 Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Options
    If you're female think about what you're going to do with the hood part, it keeps slipping back and strangling you unless you pin it to something.

That's a good point. Blokes can use the loop around a button on their suit but girls need a safety pin or two.
  • purt
    purt Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Graduation gowns are usually massive. You could have fitted two people in mine! They usually have different sizes as well. Or lots of safety pins. I mean, you wouldn't put someone really short in the same size gown as someone really tall...
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I remember right you have to tell them your height but not your size :) so it shouldn't be tripping you up hopefully!

PS don't wear stilettos, you'll come a cropper on the lawn!
  • suited-aces
    Options
    Forgot to mention, the gown nearly drowned me in the end! And a good day was had by all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure