The Great 'Get Paid To Generate Energy' Hunt

Options

Comments

• free_juice?
    Options
    furndire wrote: »
    An incredible 15 units for us today. Febuary has started off well for us.
    Thanks, I've been looking out for real world figures like that to compare with my own system. Could I ask that you let us know the size of your system in future? :T

My 3.3kW system produced only 12.25 kWh on the 8th (sunny all day) which didn't compare too well with other figures posted in various threads. Of course the figures only begin to be comparable when the sun shines all day.

In January I scored 95% of my predicted output and so far this month it is 90%. Given how dark it has been today and many other days recently I'm surprised it is that close to 100%.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 February 2011 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Ours is a 3.96 system but we are in Sc**thorpe - starting to think we are sunny Scunny.

Have you thought about letting Nang have your monthly figures and charting them on http://www.uksolarcasestudy.co.uk/ systems in detail

The more the merrier
  • free_juice?
    Options
    Ours is a 3.96 system but we are in Sc**thorpe - starting to think we are sunny Scunny.
    Proportionately only a tiny bit more than mine then.

In the 35 days since installation I have seen the sun only on seven days and only once for more than a few hours.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • free_juice?
    Options

Have you thought about letting Nang have your monthly figures and charting them on http://www.uksolarcasestudy.co.uk/ systems in detail

The more the merrier
    My system automatically logs output at 15 minute intervals and I have been posting a daily summary to the web. My Excel skills are not great but I have all the raw data if anybody should want it.

www.malcolmknight.co.uk/solar
  • noncom_2
    Options
    Sorry, I've tried to search the forums for a simple answer to this, but haven't found anything convincing.

My system's been up and running for about three and a half months now. I'm logging the amount generated on a monthly basis (I'm too busy and not obsessive enough to do it daily!). Obviously it's winter so we're not getting fantastic amounts out of it yet, but it would be useful to be able to guage whether we're "on track" for the predicted annual output.

Is there a simple way to see either: the predicted monthly output as a percentage of the annual output for a UK system, or a monthly output prediction for a 3.9kW system in the Midlands? I realise the latter depends on orientation, elevation angle etc as well, so in a way the simpler calculation might be more useful for me. (Our system is split into two separate strings feeding their own inverters, at the same azimuth but different elevation angles making the online predictors hard to use)

Thanks
    Andy
  • Equaliser123
    Options
    noncom wrote: »
    Sorry, I've tried to search the forums for a simple answer to this, but haven't found anything convincing.

My system's been up and running for about three and a half months now. I'm logging the amount generated on a monthly basis (I'm too busy and not obsessive enough to do it daily!). Obviously it's winter so we're not getting fantastic amounts out of it yet, but it would be useful to be able to guage whether we're "on track" for the predicted annual output.

Is there a simple way to see either: the predicted monthly output as a percentage of the annual output for a UK system, or a monthly output prediction for a 3.9kW system in the Midlands? I realise the latter depends on orientation, elevation angle etc as well, so in a way the simpler calculation might be more useful for me. (Our system is split into two separate strings feeding their own inverters, at the same azimuth but different elevation angles making the online predictors hard to use)

Thanks
    Andy

The EU produces a very comprehensive prediction tool on its website. Sorry I don't have the complete link to hand.
  • noncom_2
    noncom_2 Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    This one http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps3/pvest.php maybe?

I've tried that, but I can't see any logic for choosing a value for the "system losses" box.

Putting in the rated kWp value of my system and the default losses value, along with the AVERAGE incline of the two strings and their azimuth, I get a prediction of about 3000kWh per year, which is about 15% lower than the "standard" prediction used in quotes for the system when I was considering installation.

Given that many people state that they are exceeding the standard prediction, and that the company which installed the system also used their own predictor which gave slightly higher figures than the standard one, I wonder why this calculator seems to be pessimistic.

Andy
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 February 2011 at 3:28PM
    Options

I've tried that, but I can't see any logic for choosing a value for the "system losses" box.

Putting in the rated kWp value of my system and the default losses value, along with the AVERAGE incline of the two strings and their azimuth, I get a prediction of about 3000kWh per year, which is about 15% lower than the "standard" prediction used in quotes for the system when I was considering installation.

Given that many people state that they are exceeding the standard prediction, and that the company which installed the system also used their own predictor which gave slightly higher figures than the standard one, I wonder why this calculator seems to be pessimistic.

Andy
    Hi

Try the v4 database (APPS4) instead, it uses an updated dataset (CMSAF - which needs to be selected) delivering improved accuracy, increasing the expected insolation in most (non-hilly/mountainous) areas .... http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php ... the degree of change between the two datasets is described in the following link and represented in the included net change maps ... http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/PVGIS_new_features.html

Remember, the insolation data is based on averaged measurements ... recent weather conditions have produced better than average insolation .... See ..... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/ ... and look at the Sunshine anomaly maps for recent months/years ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2011 at 5:17PM
    Options

Andy
    On the top section of page on the link you give, there is a further link to a newer prediction page which makes allowances for altitude and also introduces a newer set of data - PVGIS-CMSAF. These changes produce a much more optimistic prediction.

I think the system losses they set as default (14%) may be a little pessimistic. Most inverters run at 5% loss if you keep the output above 50% of their claimed maximum and cable losses shouldn't be more than 1 or 2% if the cable-runs aren't excessively long.

I appear to have cross-posted with Zeupater on the newer data set. That will teach me to take so long to complete the reply.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options

Andy

What's the average deviation from S of your panels? My roof would need two sets of panels, each at 45 deg from S (one pointing SE, the other SW). If you resolve the angle to give you the area pointing south, you need sin45, which is .85 i.e. my roof would only get 85% of the solar energy of a S facing roof of the same area. Perhaps that's where your 15% loss comes from too?

I notice you say you have 2 inverters, one for each string. I had that in my quote too, but a discussion on here implied only one inverter was necessary for two strings. Anyone throw any light on that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure