🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Elfen's Excellent Debt Dropper Diary

Options
'Bout time I tried this again. I've tried writing a diary before but it never comes out the way I want to it. So, here me goes again.

I'm a mature student living with Pint, my OH at his parents stuck somewhere between Southampton and Portsmouth.I'm doing a degree in English and Film, Pint's a heating engineer/plumber. I've currently got about 2k of debt, and Pint has his own (individual incomes - mine's not very much!)

Today, I have been mostly trying to give up smoking. I've cut down to 5 a day and I'm gonna cut to 2 or 3 tomorrow. I'm finding I don't actually need them as much as I thought, so that's a good thing. Also watched Inglorious Basterds (is pretty good) and an now watching Willy Wonka. Most of my debt is written at the bottom,and I am trying to clear the 3 debt asap.
** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
**SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
I do it all because I'm scared.

Comments

• elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    *sigh* I can never seem to make these last. I must live the world's most boring life.

Right, last few days it has been snow city around here. Tuesday and yesterday it just snowed for god knows how long, with Pint coming hom in the morning as it just kept snowing. He's managed to go to work today; but god knows how long it took him to get there and how long it'll taker to get home.

I have been a naughty girl on the losing weight front, although my weight has remained the same, so it must be evening out. I'm planning to go back on the healthy eating tomorrow - today was a loss by me eating a MASSIVE bag of crisps. I justified it by walkig 2 hours in the snow and ice but I feel like such a piggy *oink oink*

Also, Pint's mate sold me his ex's bike, so I've been getting stuff for that sorted - lights/pump/lock (big one as it's at station all day) Now I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good jacket to wear - I may wear either my Helly thin one or my Trespass one whilst it's cold and pack a jumper in my bag for when I cool down. Can't use it now as the ice just makes it treacherous.

Managed to hand in both essays Tuesday - :) Made me happy to get them finished, and I'm just aboutto start writing down notes for my timed assessment - bit scared as I'll be in the same room but I get 25% extra time - so I'll be late for my seminar where I get marks back and told how I'm doing *wibbles* Going to need to leave early tomorrow to get the train in, if I'm early I'll have my netbook to go sit somewhere quiet and surf the 'net.

Not much else going on, just trying to plan dinner. Will probably be belly of pork or fish (for OH, I don't like fish) and either a jacket potato and coleslaw for me, or a jacket and veg with some pork.
  • elfen
    Options
    OK, this is my SOA. I haven't included my loan grant, but I get £2100 (approx) every 4 months, and a £500 bursary. I currently have £229 in my savings account and am thinking of paying off some debts. I have 3 phone debts somehow, one I think was taken when I was ill :/ (One is £15, one is £45 and one is £440 - god knows how!) I also have a HC2 for my prescriptions, and my food budget can fluctuate depending on what GF and LF free food I need to get that week. (OH and I share - one week one does it, one week the other does it)

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 0
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 420
    Other income............................ 260
    Total monthly income.................... 680

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 280
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 25
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 140
    Clothing................................ 5
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 80
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 9.99
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 10
    Haircuts................................ 3
    Entertainment........................... 25
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 577.99

Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0
    No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Phone debt (all)...............500.......15........0
    Cap 1 .........................170.......5.........0
    Halifax OD.....................175.......5.........0
    Buchanan Wells.................255.......5.........0
    Halifax CC.....................1075......5.........0
    Total unsecured debts..........2175......35........-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 680
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 577.99
    Available for debt repayments........... 102.01
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 35
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 67.01

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -2,175
    Net Assets.............................. -2,175
  • little_h_2
    little_h_2 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    hi elfen, I am also trying to shift some butt and crisps are always my weakness. along with cheese. and alcohol...oh dear! :o

good luck!
  • elfen
    Options
    good luck to you too little_h
  • elfen
    Options
    *runs and jumps across the thread*

Hello! I haven't been here in a few days so thought an update is in order.

Pint is managing to stick to his "no pub on days that start with T" It's only the first week but it looks like it could work. Have had a pretty boring week, have had to do a timed assessment at uni but I think it's gone OK.

My DSA kit FINALLY turned up yesterday, so I'm merrily tapping away on and getting used ot my Macbook. It's big and shiny and it's scary really.
    Went and did a tad of shopping today, and hit into my £100 clothes budget (got a Silk Spectre t-shirt for a fiver so that was a good deal) and the SE Family guy star wars thing (which also came with a t-shirt :) )
    Also went into Lush (god I LOOOOOVE that shop) and came away with three bars of soap, which'll hopefully last me a few months, then I'll go get some more. Not much else to do today, just watching the RSC Hamlet production (and all because of DT!)

Also, now have a ped, so in here it goes:
    Ped: 15491 steps
    B - none - oops
    L - GF roll with ham, pack of quaver
    D - beef curry and rice
  • elfen
    Options
    Think it's time to keep this up-to-date *must remind self it's here*

OK, so I now haaaave:
    Set up a spending diary
    Getting ready to sell my netbook
    Tidied up
    Put washing away

Plan for today/this evening is:
    Go to Sainsbury's (NSD as needed for meals - bread and pineapple for sweet and sour)
    Do 1 Dooyoo
    Get sealed tin for Pint and one for me
    Go to GP's
    Take tablets (yawn)
    Check mail
    Check bank

God, this is such a boring diary, sorry I'm boring you all.
  • elfen
    edited 18 January 2010 at 10:33PM
    Options
    OK, the ped meter managed 9756 steps, so not too bad :)
    Am in a bit of pain after GP's, they didn't manage to coil me as it hurt too bloody much.
    Picked up Pint's tin (and it's sealed) and he's put a little into it (mine's VERY heavy! and when it's full, it's gonna pay off a debt)
    Sold the netbook for 120 - so 50 went in the bank, 5 went on stuff I needed - so equalled an NSD as it was from a sold item - but the other 70 has gone into weekly budget to be used.

I kinda admitted something to myself - I am a spendaholic/shopaholic. So, I'm already a member of Drop Something for 2010 - books and mags except my subscriptions and uni books - which I'm going to stick to, and these are my resolutions:

1. Justifying a DVD/CD to myself - even a cheapy one - cos I know I don't need it
    2. Going into HMV at all ever on my own or without Pint - he stops me buying so much - put this into test this week
    3. Going into Waterstones - have been doing since beginning of term and am doing good, but this week I get booklists so I HAVE to go in and get the books on the list ONLY.
    4. Ask for book tokens/HMV vouchers for my birthday - to justify it, as it's my brithday present - my parents and family know i LOVE to read - my Xmas pressie from my mum was the last two HP books - maybe she could get me the True Blood anthology or vouchers towards it.
    5. Play "keep away" from Smiths and Amazon unless I get vouchers or earn them through Dooyoo. 1. Stop buying books/mags for the year - except uni ones and ones bought from money from selling others.
    6. Stop buying DVD's as I do have a Lovefilm subscription which can be used instead
    7. Check through books/DVDs for those that can be sold/worth anything on Amazon - use this money towards debt maybe? Or to a nice evening out with Pint?
    8. Get my Dooyoo going properly - try and get one voucher by end of Feb, and another by mid October.
    9. Use sealed tin.

If anyone can think of anything else, or any tips to help they'll be gratefully received.

Right now, I'm on my bed curled in a fleecy blanket with hot water bottles to keep me company.
  • elfen
    Options
    OK, today, the only thing I bought was a trilby hat. However, it was bland, so by spending £2 (3 badges and a bit of ribbon) I have funked it up! Yay! Also, have walked nearly 20 thousand steps, which is 10 miles :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts