We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What's the going rate?

Options

Comments

• poppyolivia
    poppyolivia Posts: 2,976 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    are you supposed to disinfectant your garden tools? Never heard of that!!
    You may walk and you may run
    You leave your footprints all around the sun
    And every time the storm and the soul wars come
    You just keep on walking
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Disinfect ????? She should be paid danger money.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Capistan
    Capistan Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Options
    camellia_c wrote: »
    My neighbour wants to hire my unemployed niece to do a job for her. The task is :

"disinfect garden tools, golf clubs, camping gear, gardening gear, barbeque etc."

What would a reasonable hourly rate for this be? We're based in London.

Why would anyone disinfect garden tools?
    R they planning on eating their dinner with them?
    Toffs laying into the less well off? Surely not!! :naughty:

The Following 932 Users Say Thank You to Capistan For This Useful Post: Show me >> :D
  • Zagu
    Zagu Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Options
    They probably have pea on them. People leek everywhere.
    "I'm not even supposed to be here today."
  • camellia_c
    Options
    Capistan wrote: »
    Why would anyone disinfect garden tools?
    R they planning on eating their dinner with them?

I have absolutely no idea. I thought that when they mentioned "garden tools" they meant "hoes" - aka "!!!!!s"
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope that they do not require disinfecting because of vermin (more precisely Rats) infestation, because this should be a job given to people with protective clothing. You can catch Weils Disease from Rats, and it is potentially fatal.
    If it is a simple cleaning job (even in London), then I would say minimum wage.
  • bo_drinker
    bo_drinker Posts: 3,924 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!!???????????????????////////////
    I came in to this world with nothing and I've still got most of it left. :rolleyes:
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you neighbour just has a fetish for watching young women clean things?
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Minimum wage. Considering she's not going to be paying tax or NI then that is a very good deal. There are plenty of graduates on minimum wage. And plenty of people with families and commitments on minimum wage too. Why would your daughter deserve anything more for an unskilled, manual task?

If I were the person paying I'd offer her £20 or £30 to do the job, payable on a satisfactory job being done. If she didn't clear up after herself and put everything away dry, tidy and safely she wouldn't get the full amount until it was done properly.
  • camellia_c
    Options
    SnowyOwl wrote: »
    Minimum wage. Considering she's not going to be paying tax or NI then that is a very good deal. There are plenty of graduates on minimum wage. And plenty of people with families and commitments on minimum wage too. Why would your daughter deserve anything more for an unskilled, manual task?

If I were the person paying I'd offer her £20 or £30 to do the job, payable on a satisfactory job being done. If she didn't clear up after herself and put everything away dry, tidy and safely she wouldn't get the full amount until it was done properly.

The assignment is looking less and less attractive by the minute, lol. It's my niece not my daughter by the way
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport