What's the going rate?

Options
My neighbour wants to hire my unemployed niece to do a job for her. The task is :

"disinfect garden tools, golf clubs, camping gear, gardening gear, barbeque etc."

What would a reasonable hourly rate for this be? We're based in London.

Comments

• quidsinquentin
    Options
    Check with your local Jobcentre. I'm sure they'll tell you.

(Seriously, be careful. You never know who's watching, unless it's all above board.)
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • camellia_c
    Options
    Check with your local Jobcentre. I'm sure they'll tell you.

(Seriously, be careful. You never know who's watching, unless it's all above board.)

She's not on benefits so it does not matter who is watching. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure. Calling up the Job Centre's 0845 number just to find an answer seems a bit OTT
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Minimum wage?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • sjaypink
    sjaypink Posts: 6,740 Forumite
    Options
    Fifer wrote: »
    Minimum wage?
    :rolleyes: This is London we're talking of...

£6 :p
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• camellia_c
    Options
    sjaypink wrote: »
    :rolleyes: This is London we're talking of...

£6 :p

I don't know what the minimum wage is. Maybe it's £6.50 an hour or something?

Also I can't fathom how this job would work - how do you disinfect barbecues and so on? Just buy a bottle of spray-bleach and spray?
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    3 hours work £30, if it can be done in that time.

A friend of mine is doing something similar.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • bert&ernie
    bert&ernie Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Minimum wage is £5.80p/h (aged 22 and above)

Cant see why you should need to pay any more than this for an unskilled task like that.

If it were me, I wouldn't pay by the hour anyway - I would just agree a price for the job.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
  • sjaypink
    sjaypink Posts: 6,740 Forumite
    Options
    camellia_c wrote: »
    I don't know what the minimum wage is. Maybe it's £6.50 an hour or something?

Also I can't fathom how this job would work - how do you disinfect barbecues and so on? Just buy a bottle of spray-bleach and spray?
    It is about £5.80 for over 21s, but much less for those younger....

I would imagine a few bottles of dettol or flash, some bleach and a few j cloths and an old towel would be sufficient

ETA:
    • £5.80 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older
    • a development rate of £4.83 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive
    • £3.57 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age
    We cannot change anything unless we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses. Carl Jung

• you'd be lucky getting your neighbour to agree to an hourly wage rather than a sum on completion. 20-30 quid sounds about right...
    "People fear what they don't understand and hate what they can't conquer"
  • Zagu
    Zagu Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Options
    camellia_c wrote: »
    My neighbour wants to hire my unemployed niece to do a job for her. The task is :

"disinfect garden tools, golf clubs, camping gear, gardening gear, barbeque etc."

What would a reasonable hourly rate for this be? We're based in London.

I knew Howard Hughes didn't die. He just had a sex change.
    "I'm not even supposed to be here today."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport