'Green' awareness - Help please??

Options
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I'm just looking for a bit of help - I am running a 'green' awareness day at work next week, to try to make people "think before they print" and save the company some money and of course save the trees.

To launch the initiative, I have got 30 mins with the whole department together (around 175 people) and I want to do some sort of fun task/game/team building event that relates to recycling/paper saving, to try to give the day a bit more impact, but I am totally stumped - can anyone help me?????

Thank you!

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    sarahgail wrote: »
    Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, I'm just looking for a bit of help - I am running a 'green' awareness day at work next week, to try to make people "think before they print" and save the company some money and of course save the trees.

To launch the initiative, I have got 30 mins with the whole department together (around 175 people) and I want to do some sort of fun task/game/team building event that relates to recycling/paper saving, to try to give the day a bit more impact, but I am totally stumped - can anyone help me?????

Thank you!

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can do mini paper making exercise. Alternatively search teaching materials on recycling and lots of games etc... will come up. Here is one to start:

http://lesson-plans-materials.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_recycled_paper

I have friend who is recycling expert and totally lovely. Depends where you are- message me and I will ask her to assist if you like!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PS Facts to get them thinking:

resources are conserved when paper is recycled. For every ton of paper that is recycled, the following are saved:
    • 17 trees
    • 275 pounds of sulfur
    • 350 pounds of limestone
    • 9,000 pounds of steam
    • 60,000 gallons of water
    • 225 kilowatt hours
    • 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space
    Now that you know the facts about recycling paper, get out there and practice it!
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    What about the cost of keeping 175 people away from their duties as against the cost of 175 sheets of recycled A4.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Get them to pass secret notes, like a shopping list bit by bit. copying them between people, screwing them up, tearing them, etc. Get them in a complete mess, then 'send' the message by speaking. You therefore compare a paper trail to email. And yes, you recycle the paper at the end.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lexa34 wrote: »
    For every ton of paper that is recycled, the following are saved:
    • 17 trees
    • 275 pounds of sulfur
    • 350 pounds of limestone
    • 9,000 pounds of steam
    • 60,000 gallons of water
    • 225 kilowatt hours
    • 3.3 cubic yards of landfill space

"Recycling 1 short ton (0.91 t) of paper saves 7 thousand US gallons (26 m3) of water and 2 barrels of oil (84 US gal or 320 l)"

"One ton of recycled paper saves 463 gallons of oil"

"Each ton (2000 pounds) of recycled paper can save 380 gallons of oil"

"Recycling one ton of paper saves 682.5 gallons of oil"

"Every ton of mixed paper recycled can save the energy equivalent of 185 gallons of gas"

"Recycling one ton of paper saves the equivalent of 70 gallons of gasoline"

Did you know that recycling statistics, proves the old adage that 78.752% of statistics are made up on the spot ! :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure