Coin machine thingy's

Options
Hi does anyone know what percentage those coin machines in Asda take. As I have a mixed pot of change that I might use against my weekly shop so long as they don't take too much!!

( can't bring myself to pay with coppers etc at till on a sat morn, people will prob chase me out with pitch forks!!)
DEBT Total Dec 12 = £30029
DFD APRIL 2014

Comments

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They take about 7%

Why not go round the post office or bank, get some change bags and get it swopped over for free?

Or take it to a small local business where you know the owner - my hairdresser told me it costs him 4% to buy change from the bank, maybe you could persuade him to let you pay in change bags? (sorted, of course!)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • spartan59
    spartan59 Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Those bags are a nightmare, I've got £24 in the correct amounts ( £5 in 20p's etc) but another £10 in mixed coins

banks don't really like taking mixed coins!!! Don't know why as its all bloomin money!!
    DEBT Total Dec 12 = £30029
    DFD APRIL 2014
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi I save my small change for when I buy items at my local shops, the people there dont mind being paid in 1p and 2p coins as the banks charge them for change.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use the machine for coppers only, I don't have the time to sit and bag stuff up.
  • Miss_Piggy_2
    Miss_Piggy_2 Posts: 3,631 Forumite
    Options
    They charge 7.5%. I find personally that its worth it as so much easier than sitting bagging up change to take to the bank!
    **Keep Calm and Carry On!**
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7-8% in my experience.

I know it's probably terribly un-DFW to be using them, but the convenience factor is through the roof.

I've always thought that the time spent picking up money bags, splitting the money and bagging it into the correct amounts probably far outweighed the money you'd save compared to using the old Coinstar :D

On a side note, my bank can barely handle it when I pay in a cheque - I strongly suspect that they'd come up with some reason to refuse coins :mad:
  • Chocforever
    Chocforever Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My bank (Barclays) has one of those machines in my local branch so you can put your loose change in your bank account without charge. They don't have the machines in every branch, but worth a look.
    Mortgage, draw down Sept 2014: £222,000

Now: £173,229
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My bank (Barclays) has one of those machines in my local branch so you can put your loose change in your bank account without charge. They don't have the machines in every branch, but worth a look.

Great tip for all the Barclays customers out there :money:
  • pointypenguin
    pointypenguin Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    If your Asda has the self-service checkouts just put your coins in there, no one will mind and you will save yourself 7.9% (Coinstar machines at Asda).

If not just hand them to the cashier they will probably take mixed coins but try to go when it is not busy so as not to annoy the people in the queue behind.
    Weekly Spend Challenge: £0/£30

• bex2002
    bex2002 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Great tip for all the Barclays customers out there :money:
    I believe HSBC also have these machines in some of there branches.

Unfortunatly mine dosent so i jsut sort out my change and take it down to my local branch and they will happily add it to my account.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport