NoDebtDiva's No Nonsense Debt Busting Diary

in Debt free diaries
17 replies 1.3K views
I have had enough!

I started off so well 12 months ago when I came across MSE, but fell off the wagon. In real terms I have only cleared £700 from my debt although I have closed 2 accounts. My DFD is scheduled for July 2012 but ONLY if I can re-focus and stick to my plans. So I've decided to go public to give me the determination and support to start again on my Debt Free Journey.

I'll be taking little steps, and to start with my goals for July are:
  • To have 20 No Spend Days
  • To take lunch to work EVERY day
  • Not to take my debit card to work (I work in the city centre so am often tempted during my lunch hour!).
  • To put as much of my clutter on Ebay as possible.
I am absolutely committed to becoming debt free as there are lots of things I would be able to do with all the spare cash I will have when I'm not paying back credit cards.

Your advice and support will be welcomed......

Replies

• urg123urg123 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi No Debt Diva

Well done on making that promise to yourself. Itthink the rules that you have set yourself are strong. Well done.

I would suggest posting your SOA on this site - it is really helpful.

Good luck on your debt free journey. It will be a roller coaster ride but well worth it when you see your debt going down.

urg x x
  • NoDebtDivaNoDebtDiva Forumite
    321 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    So I'm half way through July and have made a small dent in my planning to become "debt free". I go on holiday in a couple of weeks so I knew that I wouldn't make massive in-roads to reducing my debt this month. The good news is that this holiday is paid for and all the spending money saved! We'll be taking a credit card but that will be for emergencies (we're travelling with 2 small children so it's a precaution). When we return home, we would have had a great time (hopefully!) and won't owe a penny towards the holiday.....

From mid-August is when my debt busting will be firmly back on track. I'm planning on re-paying the outstanding balance on my Tesco credit card by Christmas. This will mean that by 1st January 2010, I would have wiped £4,700 from the debt.

I can't wait to make that final payment which clears my unsecured debt...... :T
    321 Posts
    I'm very excited about my holiday - I'm off to the US at the end of the week. I've been trawling through the boards to get ideas and inspiration for continuing my Debt Free journey from mid-August. I'm really going to plan and be super organised so I can pay off my Tesco card by Christmas. I'm also trying to Ebay loads of clutter so that the house becomes tidier and I can settle a store card.

I also have a head start as I've saved all the spending money for the holiday so when I arrive abck I'll only have 2 weeks to pay day so will hopefully be in a position to pay off a little of the debt.

Onwards and upwards...... :T
    321 Posts
    I have made a plan of action for the week I return from holiday so that I can get into an extremely positive place and set up some good habits for the rest of the year and clear the Tesco Credit Card (TCC). It seems daunting at the moment that there's sooo much to clear - £18,000 is scary! My aim is to be cleared by July 2012, sooner if possible.

So here goes....

:smiley: Take lunch to work EVERY day from 17th until the end of August and spend no more than £50 per week on food for the remainder of August.

:smiley: Make an over payment on my TCC.

:smiley: Put together meal plans for September so that I spend no more than £50 per week.

:smiley: Have 10 no spend days from 17-31 August.

:smiley: Pick up again on the Paul McKenna 90 day Success Journal - no doubt I would have put on a "little" weight during my holiday but know that I can get back on track in time for a few weekends away that we've got planned and eventually Christmas!

Quite fired up now, dreaming of that DFD!!
  • The holiday is over and I'm now raring to go and get nearer to my Debt Free goal! Made a great start yesterday - really looking to get the focus back over the next 2 weeks:

:smiley: Take lunch to work EVERY day from 17th until the end of August and spend no more than £50 per week on food for the remainder of August. - Did an online shop yesterday for the week. Will be making ham sandwiches today and freezing them so I just take a pack out every morning ~ cuts out my excuse of forgetting/not having time to make sandwiches during the week!!

:smiley: Make an over payment on my TCC. - Paid £100 this morning.

:smiley: Put together meal plans for September so that I spend no more than £50 per week. - Did this on holiday! Will be batch cooking next weekend and freezing all the meals for September. Making Cottages Pies, Fish Pies, Curries, Chilli and Bolognese!

:smiley: Have 10 no spend days from 17-31 August. - Had day 1 yesterday and hoping for day 2 today!

:smiley: Pick up again on the Paul McKenna 90 day Success Journal - no doubt I would have put on a "little" weight during my holiday but know that I can get back on track in time for a few weekends away that we've got planned and eventually Christmas! - Starting tomorrow!
  • gizmo111gizmo111 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well done. The batch cooking saves a fortune, tastes nicer and makes evening meals so easy to prepare. Over 3 months I've cut my food bill by over £200 and have a freezer full of great stuff.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Gizmo111, thanks for your comments.

I really like to cook when I have the time. I just find it difficult during the week being a mum of 2 (both under 5) and working full time. Would really help to save £200 per month. Every little helps eh?! :o
    2.6K Posts
    Forumite
    NoDebtDiva wrote: »
    Gizmo111, thanks for your comments.

I really like to cook when I have the time. I just find it difficult during the week being a mum of 2 (both under 5) and working full time. Would really help to save £200 per month. Every little helps eh?! :o

I wouldn't go for the 200 per month as a starter but something you will achieve in 3 months or so - it gets quite addictive and a spreadsheet is really helpful, not much time will ckeck in tomorow with some ideas.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Still on track!

Have taken sandwiches to work so far this week (definately helps if you just need to take a pack from the freezer each morning!) and other then petrol today and a grocery shop on Saturday, I have not frittered away one penny since landing on Saturday morning!!

One day at a time and a day closer to being Debt Free!
    2.6K Posts
    Forumite
    NoDebtDiva wrote: »
    Still on track!

Have taken sandwiches to work so far this week (definately helps if you just need to take a pack from the freezer each morning!) and other then petrol today and a grocery shop on Saturday, I have not frittered away one penny since landing on Saturday morning!!

One day at a time and a day closer to being Debt Free!

Absolutely - I started off dusting off the slow cooker and making simple things to freeze, chilli, bolognese, then advanced to cooking pies and sausage rolls etc. Have t aken food to work nearly every day. Made a list of exactly what we need and planned meals. I'm not DWD but overpaying mortgage so every little is great and surprising how it adds up. So far this month spent £72.35 (2 adults and 2 teens) on food and only need bread, salad, milk and veg for a fair few weeks to come. Plan to empty the freezer and see how little I can spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals