Submitting CV's to online websites (i.e. Reed)

Options
I have heard that agency's before sending your CV and covering letter to firms remove your contact details - is this true? So if sending a CV through the Reed website should I just leave the details off?

Also on Reed and some other sites you can upload your CV and allow recruiters to 'search' it - is it also better to remove contact details then as possibly anyone could see it?

Comments

• Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course it is true.
    What would otherwise stop the employers to contact you direct if they were interested and avoid paying commission to the agency??

No, how is the agency going to contact you if they are interested in you?

The agency will pick up your CV and contact you if they are interested and only then prepare your CV again to suit the job and then submit it to the employer.

The CV you are submitting to Reeds is for Reeds firstly, then they will judge whether to offer you to employers.
  • SCOYA
    SCOYA Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I upload CV's to any job website, Reed included, I only show my name, mobile phone number and my email address. Also when uploading your CV to the Reed website, please be aware that other agencies can register with Reed in order to view CV's.
  • Any
    edited 23 June 2009 at 3:25PM
    Options
    You should submitt exactly the same CV as you would send out.
    Failing to abide simple rules of writing CV shows illiteracy IMO.

Also don't forget that the beauty of using agencies is that they might have more jobs of the same sort and consider to put you forward for them as well. Without knowing where you live how would they know what area is suitable for you?
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well my address, phone and email etc. are listed in my profile on the job site so they have my contact details anyway

I'll just upload my normal CV and then if they want to do something to it so be it
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    Well my address, phone and email etc. are listed in my profile on the job site so they have my contact details anyway

I'll just upload my normal CV and then if they want to do something to it so be it

Is it a pdf or .doc/docx or rtf?
  • RobTang
    RobTang Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    Of course it is true.
    What would otherwise stop the employers to contact you direct if they were interested and avoid paying commission to the agency??

Typicaly a agency will have a contract with the client company, so even if they (client company) did contact you directly, the company is still liable to pay the agencies commission even if their only action was to send your CV in.

Only if a agency was sending out unsolicited CVs would this not be the case.
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @LittleVoice - it is a pdf
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    456789 wrote: »
    @LittleVoice - it is a pdf

If your CV is a pdf and it has your contact details on it then an agency is very unlikely to do anything with it other than put it in their own files. They won't send it to a client with the contact details on.

If they want to put you forward for a role, they would have to re-type your CV. Though they could possibly scan it with ocr the document won't look as good as I hope yours does.

If you use pdf, you retain control more or less of that document itself but lose much influence on what is presented.

Depending on the jobs you are interested in, they might re-type and present in their own standard format in any case, of course.

If you send a Word file, agencies would find it much easier to deal with - possibly only needing to remove the contact details.

I would normally send a doc file (not docx because it is still less readily dealt with by organisations). I know though that others like the pdf idea because of the perceived control.
  • Any
    Options
    RobTang wrote: »
    Typicaly a agency will have a contract with the client company, so even if they (client company) did contact you directly, the company is still liable to pay the agencies commission even if their only action was to send your CV in.

Only if a agency was sending out unsolicited CVs would this not be the case.

Typicaly you will be registered with more then one agency and what happens quite often is that 2 agencies put forward the same candidate.

I recruit on regular basis with agencies as well as using agencies when I change employment and I am only stating what I experienced.

What you are saying doesn't work in a real life. Employer can say that you replied to their newspapers advert. Once you organise an interview through the agencies, then yes I agree you have to pay them. But otherwise they wouldn't have a clue. And that is why they remove your contact details, so you cannot contact them direct.
  • Any
    Options
    I agree with LittleVoice. PDF is not that great idea.

OP, in what industry are the jobs you are applying for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure