Filling for funky doorstop.. need 5lb of beans!

Options
butterfly72
butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
Hi
I'm making a doorstop for a friend and the instructions ask for 5lb of dried beans (or rice) for a weighty filling! This is loads! Any idea of a cheaper alternative or where I can get a job lot of dried beans!! (I wouldn't want to go much heavier than the 5lb as my sewing skills aren't great and the thing would surely fall to peices if I tried to lift it with anything heavier! :o )

thanks
£2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019

Comments

• soblivion
    soblivion Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi butterfly, I have read that some doorstops have a thick plastic bag inside which is filled with sharp sand or just sand.
    I've no idea whether that is more expensive than rice or beans though.
    You wouldn't need loads and if you ;) at a builder he may give you a bit for nothing.
  • touch*my*food*feel*myfork
    Options
    I brought some empty material door stops and looked about at filling them with rice, but this worked out so expensive - i have filled mine with sand, in a plastic bag (taken from my son's sand pit - lol)
  • RustyFlange
    RustyFlange Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Options
    If you used sand then you can buy bags of sand from Argos (£2.99) tescos (approx £2.19) and various other places ;) sand would probably be the cheaper alternative ;)
    Raising kids is like being held hostage by midget terrorists
  • Gangstabird
    Gangstabird Posts: 1,920 Forumite
    Options
    Any houses near you having extensions built - tell builders that you are thinking of having some work done and ask if they know any stonemasons (they won't - trust me) and then exclaim 'ooooo just what I am looking for - I don't suppose you could let me have some of that sand could you?:rotfl:

Free sand. Job done.

Or use moon sand if you have any. I hate the stuff, kids got it for Christmas and it gets everywhere. Actually that would be a fab use for it. Bingo. I have a funky doorstop even though the poor children will sit there crying that they can't use their moon sand. Am weighing up consequences as I type:p
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

How about getting a housebrick -padding it slightly (you could use bubble wrap or old fabric) and then making the cover for it :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi butterfly72, Years ago, I did a Milliners course and had to make a really large "ham" (large stuffed callico pillow) for pressing the hats. Anyway, we had to stuff it with SAWDUST. You would have to put it in a plastic bag first but if you stuff it firm it should do the job.
    Just a thought - with anything like this, watch out for pets chewing them open!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback