Refused !!!!!! offer

Options
I have an debt of £302.00 which is now with Wescot Credit, orginally Natwest CC. The debt started off at around £1500, and I have been paying it off at £80 per month. They have offered me reduced amounts along the way to pay it off, but I have never been able to afford it. I am now struggling to find the £80, So I wrote to them and told them my Mum was willing to lend me £120 and I made an offer off this as !!!!!!. They have refused this and told me the lowest they will go is £197, which I donlt have, they told me to go away and ask if I could boorow more to pay it and get back to them. I told them I wouldn't be able to afford the £80 anymore, they said that we could discuss this after I have found out if I can pay the £197.00

Has anyone had any dealings with Wescot, are they just being stubborn or is worth perservering with the £120.00.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, I have managed to clear quite a lot of debt over the past couple of years, with cut backs and reclaiming charges, but now the few I have left I am starting to struggle to pay because of the economic situation and how it has affected us.

Comments

• Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    Keep perservering. DCA's buy debts for peanuts - pennies in the £ so they have probably already made loads out of you already. Tell them that the offer from your mum is purely made for the purposes of clearing your debt and that this offer is only available for xx days and then the offer will be withdrawn. Put this in writing, of course. Play them at their game, it's worked for me and many others too.

Well done on clearing your debts.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    If you can afford the extra, write back and tell them your F&F offer will be £145.00, state, should they refuse your F&F offer no further offer's will be made, and your monthly contributions will be reduced considerably due to the current financial climate.
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • Mazzy187
    Options
    Thanks for your help,

I will write to them again, and offer them a little more. These bl**dy people never respond to letters though, it is so annoying, it is ok for them to send numerous chasing letters, but they never seem to be able respond to a letter I write them, and always leave moody messages asking me to phone them urgently.

P
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    Mazzy187 wrote: »
    These bl**dy people never respond to letters though
    Send your letter by recorded delivery, stating clearly within the letter they have until xxx to accept your offer, something like this

Saturday 28th February 2009
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • itsalongroad
    Options
    If you can afford the extra, write back and tell them your F&F offer will be £145.00, state, should they refuse your F&F offer no further offer's will be made, and your monthly contributions will be reduced considerably due to the current financial climate.

what is the consequence of simply telling a DCA that you are reducing payments, can they add lots of charges and interest etc etc
    I amin severe debt but so far all my creditors accepting monthly DMP so no experience with DCA's.....intrigued to learn!

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport