🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

I'm sitting here devastated!

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Helga14
    Helga14 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I was thinking about your accomodation too. It does seem high to me. I've lived in flatshares/houseshares in zone 1 london and managed to find rooms for under £450. The last place i was in Kings Cross was £450 and council tax was £50. It wasn't a palace but had a garden, would be okay for pets and the smaller rooms were £400.

I had a quick look at moveflat.com to see if i was out of touch now and there was a room in Islington for £375, crouch end and stoke newington for £350. There is one in Plaistow with a garden for only £275 (sharing with three men). There is even a place in Richmond which is only £100 a month sharing with a writer man in a wheelchair in return of helping him get in/out of bed and help with dressing which apparently takes ten mins. He has Sky, parking space and employs a cleaner which is all included!

Anyway goodluck with it. Sure you'll get there eventually.
    Top wins in 2018: Trip to Iceland, helicopter ride over london, couples massage, £300 flight from Pringles, trip to Paris, cocktail making class and afternoon tea up the shard. .

Top wins in 2017:holiday to the Bahamas, trip to Paris, meal with champagne, a week in a manor house in France with £500 spending money.
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    Hi, I'll defintly look into the prescriptions issue tomorrow- that £24 will make a huge difference. Thanks so much for the ideas on this :-)

As for my accomadation I live and work in on of te most expensive parts of London. I have my own flat and I would consider moving but for 3 issues. One I have 10 months to go on my lease, 2 I'd have to find the deposit/ money for removal etc for a new place somewhere, 3 this should be paid by this time next year, and I would have lost the cheapest (for the area) but nicest little flat in this area of London ever.
    LBM June 2008 Debt at LB £6906.65 :eek:
    Payments to date-£2933.87
    1 year to lose:j 20 pounds- September 2009 (9 so far) (Weight loss the old style way)
    "A life lived in fear, is a life half lived"
  • andan
    andan Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    Options
    Hi dumbluck, just wondering how things are going for you? Have you looked into the prescription issue yet? Hope its all going well.
    :j Live on £4500, £2531/£4500:T 101 in 1001 (52/101):j:beer::j

• bargainbetty
    Options
    Just a thought, you could try the new auction site Ebid? Separate from Ebay, but much of a muchness when you look at it.

There are also swapping websites too - it's not selling stuff, but you get 'pre-loved' things in exchange for your older items, which might help quell any shopping urges, as you still get new(ish) things, which helps stop you falling off the wagon.

Saw that on Spendaholics - brilliant idea!

Also, have a look at courses or classes, particularly any that offer subsidised fees. Could learn a new skill and get out of the house for cheap too.

Good luck x
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi dubluck ive just read your thread
    i do hope your ok
    i agree with the £70 for food is not enough revise your soa for payplan
    as for the loan sharks let them take you to court like everyone says the worst that will happen is a ccj - meh im sure a few people have them now anyway- nothing to worry about really so long as you pay what is determined by the judge.
    i am fed up of my legalised doorstep collector loans thingy (shopachecK) the sooner i have paid them the better

any way chin up things will pick up for you
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • SazM030306
    SazM030306 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Dumb Luck, just wanted to say good luck and well done so far, you've had some great advice from the others. I hope you've managed to sort the free prescriptions, it would add to your food budget nicely!
    Keep up the good work
    Saz x
    :heart2: THANK YOU MARTIN!! :heart2:
  • Dizzeepixie
    Options
    Hi I'm new here - just wondered if this might help with your prescriptions - If you need more than 4 items in a 3 month period (or 14 items in a 12 month period, you might want to look at a NHS prepayment certificate. it's about £100 but any prescriptions over the 14 in a year (which it sounds like you have) are then free. The certificate is not connected to any particular condition/medication so all prescriptions are included. If you find you don't qualify for free prescriptions, this will save you loads over a year. (you can claim back for any prescriptions you have to buy whilst you are waiting for it to arrive. Ask for an HC12 form from Doc/chemist
    Good luck!
    :happyhear 2009 Sealed Pot Challenger No 395 Target £300 :j
    :T £2 Savers club No 19 started Dec 02 2008 :T
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Hey Dumb Luck, just wondered how you were doing?

xxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    Hi All,
    Sorry after wallowing in my depressed state for a weekend I decided to bite the bullet and sort out my prescriptions. It was surprisingly easy- Thanks for the advice- you were all so right.

I'm still getting less calls these days but I think this is because I'm after not answering my phone for the last 6 months so maybe they've gotten the message :-)

I still have my bad days... and had no electricity for 3 days this month which was pretty miserable- but other then that- in a few days I'll have paid off nearly 2000 pounds and I'm proud of that even if I seem to be landed with a few setbacks now and again.

I still am thankful for all the advice and kindness that was shown to me that weekend.
    LBM June 2008 Debt at LB £6906.65 :eek:
    Payments to date-£2933.87
    1 year to lose:j 20 pounds- September 2009 (9 so far) (Weight loss the old style way)
    "A life lived in fear, is a life half lived"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family