I'm sitting here devastated!

Options

Comments

• dumb_luck
    Options
    My parents have bailed me out before... TWICE. They've both now retired and what I'm giving them is peanuts to what I really owe them, the say it's £7K but it's more like £20K if you add in the first time which they've written off. They've also let me off paying from last July to this month and I can't even afford it now, but can't bring myself to tell them that. They know I paying off something but Mum just thinks it a massive overdraft and she's proud of me dealing with it myself and to be honest so am I. I didn't learn the other times because the lesson was, they'd bail me out, this time I sorted out a DMP and counselling to sort out why I such a compulsive shopper and began paying it myself before they even knew I owed anything. I sound like a hopeless case don't I?

I really have to keep up my payments to them.
    LBM June 2008 Debt at LB £6906.65 :eek:
    Payments to date-£2933.87
    1 year to lose:j 20 pounds- September 2009 (9 so far) (Weight loss the old style way)
    "A life lived in fear, is a life half lived"
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    I get my consultations for Diabetic Nephropathy, and all hospital care on it- so it really pays for itself as I'm having those once a month. Whenever I'm hospitalised I get really good care... when you have a condition like mine that's heading to advanced stages which will probably need dialysis before I'm 30... my dr warned me when I talked about it the last thing I'll be canceling is my health insurance

PS: I didn't think you were being insensitive :-) I wish I could cancel it!
    1 year to lose:j 20 pounds- September 2009 (9 so far) (Weight loss the old style way)
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're a compulsive shopper (and I probably would be in London, lol), have you got stuff you can sell on to raise some cash? Could you have a declutter (get all saleable stuff into boxes; you don't HAVE to sell but it may have you take control as well as put you off buying more)
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    Just to be sure (I didn't think it was income-based).

From their website:
    The Authority's Medical Exemption Issue Office is responsible for issuing Medical Exemption Certificates on behalf of the Department of Health for England to patients who suffer from one of the specified medical conditions.
    The specified medical conditions are:
    • a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
    • forms of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    • diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
    • diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone
    • hypoparathyroidism
    • myasthenia gravis
    • myxoedema
    • epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    • a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months.

I did mention that most of the stuff for my diabetes is free but 4 prescriptions which are related to it aren't. Things like sleeping pills, lexapro for serotonin release and steriods are all not covered because of my income.
  • whitewing
    Options
    It looks to me (from googling) that Diabetic Nephropathy is caused by diabetes mellitus, therefore I would have thought you would qualify fot a medical exemtion certificate.

Phone or visit the surgery and double check (they can only say no):
    If you suffer from one of the specified medical conditions, to obtain a Medical Exemption Certificate, you must complete application form FP92A, available from doctor's surgeries. You are required to complete parts 1 and 2 and your doctor (or an authorised member of the practice staff) is asked to sign to confirm the information given by you is correct.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • whitewing
    Options
    My MIL has a medical exemption certificate for hypothyroidism and all her prescriptions are free, as far as I understand - they never asked for income on the form
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    If you're a compulsive shopper (and I probably would be in London, lol), have you got stuff you can sell on to raise some cash? Could you have a declutter (get all saleable stuff into boxes; you don't HAVE to sell but it may have you take control as well as put you off buying more)

Whitewing, I thingk that's a great idea- but sadly due to non payment after trying to withdraw my bids after a bad break out last August my account has been suspended on Ebay. (I sound like sure a complete waster and I know it) I have loads of stuff that I've never even worn. Actually the money I really miss is the money I spent on my social life- at least with colths I had something to show for it!!!
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    My MIL has a medical exemption certificate for hypothyroidism and all her prescriptions are free, as far as I understand - they never asked for income on the form

Really? Ok, thanks, I'm going to look into it- rather then just accept it as I have been doing... I just always thought it was because some are related to a long term condition and others are short term conditions and that I couldn't tick the box on the prescription or it would be fraudulent. Still it could save me £24 pounds so I'm going to look into it PROPERLY and ASK rather then just pay.
  • whitewing
    Options
    Gosh, I've had more sad loser moments than you have pounds owing!

That's still no reason not to have a sort out of things. You can always decide what to do once they're sorted. You need to take some sort of action that you can do, to stop the 'can't do anything' slump (been there, done that)
  • andan
    andan Posts: 2,110 Forumite
    Options
    Hi dumbluck, just been reading through your thread and just wanted to say hi. Sounds like your trying really hard and its so frustrating when you come up against brick walls like that.

With regards to ebay, i am not sure but can't you just set up a new account instead. Also, you can sell books on amazon, if you have any text books they sell really well. Alternatively you could try and car boot some of it. Best of luck with it all and will be reading about your journey.
    :j Live on £4500, £2531/£4500:T 101 in 1001 (52/101):j:beer::j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport