I'm sitting here devastated!

Options

Comments

• dumb_luck
    Options
    That is the special deal they gave me in July, do ya think I should be ckeeky and ask again so soon? :-)

Well done you £32, is nothing to be sneezed at when you've £9.70 for 3 weeks LOL. Quidico, loads of people talk about it here, and I sogned up but didn't really understand it TBH.
    LBM June 2008 Debt at LB £6906.65 :eek:
    Payments to date-£2933.87
    1 year to lose:j 20 pounds- September 2009 (9 so far) (Weight loss the old style way)
    "A life lived in fear, is a life half lived"
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    well, you could try, they want your custom and money so some money is better than you cancelling! They can only say no and you are no worse off!
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you check to see if you are entitled to a Medical Exemption Certificate. Not sure if your type of diabetes counts; some seems to. I think you just have to live in England but can come from elsewhere.You won't have to pay for your prescriptions if so... (I would have expected someone already to have told you if you were entitled so don't get too excited just yet). You doctor's can sign a form for you if you are.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    Can you check to see if you are entitled to a Medical Exemption Certificate. Not sure if your type of diabetes counts; some seems to. I think you just have to live in England but can come from elsewhere.You won't have to pay for your prescriptions if so... (I would have expected someone already to have told you if you were entitled so don't get too excited just yet). You doctor's can sign a form for you if you are.

That actually i a really good idea and may be helpfu to someone else who reads this, BUT Wait for it... my earnings mean I'm entitled to nothing:rotfl: I may be eating mushroom soup for a month but expenditure is not what it's measured on, only income. Actuall TBF I get an awful lot of things for my diabetis for free, but the other 4 prescriptions that I get each month are not covered.
    1 year to lose:j 20 pounds- September 2009 (9 so far) (Weight loss the old style way)
  • whitewing
    Options
    Just to be sure (I didn't think it was income-based).

From their website:
    The Authority's Medical Exemption Issue Office is responsible for issuing Medical Exemption Certificates on behalf of the Department of Health for England to patients who suffer from one of the specified medical conditions.
    The specified medical conditions are:
    • a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
    • forms of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    • diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
    • diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone
    • hypoparathyroidism
    • myasthenia gravis
    • myxoedema
    • epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    • a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • rosy
    rosy Posts: 642 Forumite
    Options
    dumb_luck wrote: »
    I think I could get a better deal on VM if I was willing to lose my 800 minutes for £30, but my bills used to always before I got this be in the region of £300 from just calling family and friends back home (whic is some of the reson I got into trouble). £40 is pretty reasonable for line rental, broadband and TV. suppose I could top up my mobile by £5 instead of £10 though.
    Have you seen this ( link below)? You can call Ireland for 1/2p per minute or less from fixed landline - I don't know how your whole package works & if these costs would apply to you but would maybe be worth having a wee look if you are investigating cutting TV/phone costs etc ( I have saved a fortune phoning sister in France like this, every minute adds up!) :)http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/ireland
  • dumb_luck
    Options
    Because I get 800 minutes for £30, it works ut at 3.75p to all landline or mobile anytime, anywhere in the world. It works out better as my siser lives in the US, and a lot of my friends back home have mobiles.

I think I'd be worried that I wouldn' pass the credit check system too :-(
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Could you ask your parents to agree to not receiving the £150 a month until you get back on your feet? I have a daughter aged 35 (possibly about your age?) and if she was in your predicament I would be glad to help her.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • skintandscared_2
    Options
    DL, I found one mega cheap foodie thing a couple of weeks ago. If you have a supermarket within walking distance they often discount their chickens in the evenings. I got one from Tesco for £1.99. That did a roast dinner for 2 of us, enough chicken leftover for a curry (with a tin of tomatoes, spoonful of Tesco value curry powder and a chopped onion) PLUS about 3 pints of stock from the boiled carcass with some veggies, peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves. I got a "soup mix" for 60p and that will convert all that stock to soup. That amount would last you at least a week!! So if you already have veggies, that's basically a roast dinner, a curry (or chicken sandwiches) plus a week's soup for less than £2.50.

My dad is diabetic and I know how important it is for you to eat regularly. Glad to hear you have plenty of bread in the freezer. (You can also freeze the soup in portions if you don't want it every day, by the way!)
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • whitewing
    Options
    Can I also be really nosy and ask what the health insurance does? (I know it sounds like a daft question). It seems a lot of money a month; just wondered what you get out of it? Could you do without the cover for a while? )I'm not meaning to be insensitive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure