Urgent help needed...what's the solution??

Options
2»

Comments

• Jenny2008
    Options
    MissShoes wrote: »
    I hadn't thought of claiming on the insurance- I thought that was just for accidents? :confused: I am fully comp though?

Oh, you might be right. Worth giving them a quick ring though to ask?
  • MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Tashja wrote: »
    I haven't read any of your other posts before - sorry - but I was wnondering if ou could get an advance on your wages ???

T xx

I hadn't thought of this but might be worth a try. I'm not sure whether other people have done this. I'll ask on Monday if I can get an advance. Thanks.
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • MissShoes
    Options
    Worth asking the garage if you can pay in instalments or give them post-dated cheques. If there is a car-boot sale near you (I think might most have stopped for the winter by now though?) have you got anything you can sell? Or ebay? When I had to find the money for renewing mine and my OH's passports, I got all the loose change in the house, from every drawer and pot, and managed to get together just under £150!!!

*edit* sorry - posted before you said you can't do a car boot (although you could do it with a friend, using their car?)

Literally nothing to carboot but thanks for the suggestion. Evrything not nailed down is already sold/on ebay.
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • MissShoes
    Options
    Piquant wrote: »
    I know you don't want to lose the car, but if worst comes to worst, would the garage part exchange it for something else?

Sorry not much help...

Piq

Hi no it's not a garage that has other cars/sells cars. Just a mechanics. It's such a tricky situation and so frustrating because I'll have the money in 3 weeks. The car just wouldn't wait to collapse! It means budgets will be very very tight until Xmas but doable and I can manage. Thanks for your suggestion Piq :beer:
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • MissShoes
    Options
    Jenny2008 wrote: »
    Oh, you might be right. Worth giving them a quick ring though to ask?

Will do that, thanks!
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • Jenny2008
    Options
    MissShoes wrote: »
    Will do that, thanks!

Good luck, let us know how you get on. I had a similar problem this week when my boiler packed in - it's cost me nearly £300 to repair; money that's come out of my christmas fund ... no idea how I'm going to replace it :mad:
  • rubydoiwannabee
    Options
    Hi, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings and all that but I doubt very much your insurance will cover car repairs! It is only there for accidents, fire and theft. Sorry...

Would it be possible to agree with the garage that you can give them part payment now, then post dated chqs for when the money is available. I would also talk to them before they do the work.

Best of luck.
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don`t let the garage go ahead and repair it, until you have discussed the financial difficulty with them - it is hardly fair. You are strapped for cash, so can the garage tell you what it would cost to get the vehicle back on the road, with a view to the full job being done in the future? How well do you know this garage? What is wrong? Is this a fiar price for what needs doing?
    It might pay you to shop around - one garage quoted us nearly £400.00 to fix the water pump on my husband`s Ford Galaxy. A bit of internet research, £130.00 on an auxilliary pump (it wasn`t the main heating pump at all), Several hours of swearing and getting cold and dirty - job done and car fixed. My point is - are you sure you need to spend the full £600.00?
    Does anyone else work with you at the other jobs? Could they help out temporarily with lifts, etc?
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure