Urgent help needed...what's the solution??

As you can see on my 'Ding...there goes the bulb' diary thread, my car broke today. It will be fixed by Wednesday and will cost £600:eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: . I don't have it! I'm grasping at straws here and would appreciate any suggestions. I get paid in 3 weeks time. I MUST have the car for 2nd/3rd jobs but can walk to 9-5.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received. Can't ask family before that's suggested as they're unable to help.

Thanks in advance Debt Free Wannabes....
  • DFD 4th July 2015
  • MFD 1st October 2021

Comments

• What is the garage like - will they let you pay at a later date or in a couple of installments?

Its just a thought but my car cost £375 and its still running great after 2 years and passed the MOT fine.

Do you need that particular car or would a cheaper alternative see you through for the time being. ?

Sorry - other than that I am not sure what else to suggest.

Good Luck
    BHB
    :) Embrace your inner Hillbilly :)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anything you can car-boot this weekend?

Contact your local credit union?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    What is the garage like - will they let you pay at a later date or in a couple of installments?

Its just a thought but my car cost £375 and its still running great after 2 years and passed the MOT fine.

Do you need that particular car or would a cheaper alternative see you through for the time being. ?

Sorry - other than that I am not sure what else to suggest.

Good Luck
    BHB
    Hi Barshamhillbilly. It's a 2k car so worth doing otherwise I'll have lost everything. I'm constantly being told by mechanics that it was a great find (good make, low mileage, in great nic) and this is the first thing I've had to do for it- apart from parking tickets pre LBM!

Thanks for your help though:beer:
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • MissShoes
    RAS wrote: »
    Anything you can car-boot this weekend?

Contact your local credit union?

Can't carboot with no car lol but nothing that I can carboot that would raise anything like that much. I'm not sure about credit union- what is that and how does it work? SOrry for being dim.
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • I'm not sure the credit union would loan the money without having saved with them for a while, but worth a ring I guess.
    :) Embrace your inner Hillbilly :)
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I haven't read any of your other posts before - sorry - but I was wnondering if ou could get an advance on your wages ???

T xx
  • Worth asking the garage if you can pay in instalments or give them post-dated cheques. If there is a car-boot sale near you (I think might most have stopped for the winter by now though?) have you got anything you can sell? Or ebay? When I had to find the money for renewing mine and my OH's passports, I got all the loose change in the house, from every drawer and pot, and managed to get together just under £150!!!

*edit* sorry - posted before you said you can't do a car boot (although you could do it with a friend, using their car?)
    DMP Mutual Support Thread member 244
    Quit smoking 13/05/2013
    Joined Slimming World 02/12/13. Loss so far = 60lb in 28 weeks :j 18lb to go :o
  • Does your insurance not cover it? Or do you have to pay for the repairs and then claim back? Or did you not want to go through your insurance because of higher premiums?

This is awful, but I giggled girlishly with the bloke in the garage doing my car service and he gave me the MOT free. :rolleyes: Maybe you could try the giggling thing while asking to pay in installments? ;)

Overdraft? Anything left on credit cards to use?
  • MissShoes
    Jenny2008 wrote: »
    Does your insurance not cover it? Or do you have to pay for the repairs and then claim back? Or did you not want to go through your insurance because of higher premiums?

This is awful, but I giggled girlishly with the bloke in the garage doing my car service and he gave me the MOT free. :rolleyes: Maybe you could try the giggling thing while asking to pay in installments? ;)

Overdraft? Anything left on credit cards to use?

I hadn't thought of claiming on the insurance- I thought that was just for accidents? :confused: I am fully comp though?
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    I know you don't want to lose the car, but if worst comes to worst, would the garage part exchange it for something else?

Sorry not much help...

Piq
    Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
    Total debt today: £0
    - debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
    Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing