Bridget Jones's Debt Diary

I've read a lot of peoples diaries on here and find them very helpful not to mention inspirational!!

My debt isn't massive compared to some (see sig) but I feel like recently I've lost control of my spending. Buying a lot of takeaways, clothes, getting a new pet, eating out etc etc. So I'm taking control at last!! The main aim is the clear my debts and to actually start SAVING then eventually have enough for a deposit on our very own home!!!

The plan is;
  • Ebay! Ebay! Ebay!
  • Use Quidco for all purchases.
  • Stop eating out & getting takeaways.
  • Do online grocery shopping, less temptation!!
  • Alongside the 2 points above, make a meal plan for the week ahead.
  • Stay on the Special K diet rather than spending £4 a day on lunch.
  • Doing a huge amount of overtime over Xmas.
I want to pay off these debts;
  • Amazon CC - £3370
  • Capital One CC - £824
  • Natwest Student OD - £1170
I've already started on my mission by buying pet insurance using Quidco, £25 cashback! Hurrah!! Although I want to kill the blooming rabbit now because he's chewed through my Mac charger.:mad:

And so it begins...
The only thing worse than smug married couple; lots of smug married couples.

Comments

• I'd like to see this diary made into a film lol Good luck
  • MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good luck! Why not put up a SOA to see if there are any areas you haven't identified where you can save even more? Take loads of stuff to work with your special K (fruit etc) to save snacking...I always gave in on the special k diet!

xx
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • MissShoes wrote: »
    Good luck! Why not put up a SOA to see if there are any areas you haven't identified where you can save even more? Take loads of stuff to work with your special K (fruit etc) to save snacking...I always gave in on the special k diet!

xx

I've done a SOA. It's on the OH's computer so I'll post it tomorrow. I know exactly where all the money is going. Stupid whims like weekend trips to London, clothes and eating out. :rolleyes: My bills are all minimal thank gawd!!

I just need to go to work & come straight home everyday, if I stop off anywhere I get tempted! Luckily I've now become addicted to watching that BBC3 show Spendaholics. It's woken me up a bit!!

I've got loads & loads of fruit thanks to my Nan, bless her. I'm just going to turn into a health freak!! No more sweet & sour for me :(
  • I've woken up with a god awful cold so am working from home today. No lunch spending today :D

I've just checked my Quidco and Petplan (rabbit insurance) has given me 2x £25 rather than just one lot!! Hmmm I'll leave it there for a month and see if they ask for it back.

Should be a good day spending wise, I'm off to the bank in a bit to cash 3 cheques from my birthday last month, then I'm going to the Coop and I'm closing my account with them. After that I'll be doing our weekly shop online.

Good start so far...aside from the of ££ I'm going to be spending on tissues and lemsip this week!!
  • £225 paid into the bank. I tried to speak to someone at Apple regarding a free replacement for the chewed charger but the waiting time was 45 minutes :eek: so will wait until tomorrow and call them from work.

Just spent 2 hours sorting out a meal plan, got our weekly shop down to £28.07 plus £4 for delivery. I think it's worth paying for delivery. When we go to the supermarket we can spend anything between £60-£80! Not anymore!!
  • Hi Bridget,
    I will look forward to reading your diary with interest.

When you say OH you do of course mean THE Mr Darcy!!!

Good luck on your journey.
    x
    The good you do comes back to you.
    DFW Long haul supporters No: 134
    ;)
  • Hi Bridget,
    I will look forward to reading your diary with interest.

When you say OH you do of course mean THE Mr Darcy!!!

Good luck on your journey.
    x

Of course! I expect Colin Firth to turn up dripping wet any minute now!! ;)

Oo and I've also ebayed a barely used Nintendo DS plus games. I doubt Mr Darcy will part with the Wii just yet but I'm working on it!
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good luck! Even more good luck with the special K, I managed to keep it up for a day. (Gave into biscuit temptation.)
  • Urgh I feel so ill today, god knows how I'm going to get to the end of the week!!! But every cloud...I'm so ill that I raced home avoiding all shops.

So it's another NSD for me!!! Belly is a bit empty though after just 3 cups of tea and some porridge all day...thank gawd Mr T is delivering tonight :T
  • Another good day, just £6.99 spent on vetbed for the rabbit. Will work out cheaper in the long run & it's so much cheaper on ebay than in the shops! Plus the OH has paid be back the money he owed - £225. I'm going to put it on my Natwest overdraft, get it under 1k for the first time ever!!

Sticking to the cheap lunches. Just some Special K for brekkie with a yoghurt then cup-a-soup for lunch. Big ol jacket potato for dinner!!

Feel like I've hit a bit of a brick wall at work, it's become very tedious and I spend most of the time yawning. I really want to stick with it so I can get our yearly bonus at xmas and do lots of overtime but the 9-5 seems to be getting longer & longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure