IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
asda and money off vouchers
Closed Thread
Views: 12,333
# 1
WOW Factor 0
frosty
Old 28-09-2005, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default asda and money off vouchers

I was shopping in Asda today, when I was paying at the checkout I handed over some money off coupons,the cashier rang for a superviser,they said they had stopped taking coupons unless you buy the product.I said I had been using coupons for weeks ,they said it had come from head office and it started on monday,they said many people were abusing the use of coupons,he said last week a customer had 7 boxes of uncle bens rice and by using money off coupons they only paid for 1....I have a lot of the 1.00 off kleenex (8 roll pack) they said they could be used for say an 8 pack of asda loo rolls but only if there was no kleenex.so they will do like for like products, they also said they are not taking money off coupons from other supermarkets eg.somerfield......i did suggest they put a note by the tills so that customers know about this, he just said whats the point they are always changing the rules........... :confused:
# 2
randan
Old 28-09-2005, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Where I live there are 5 Asda within travelling distance. The two closest have completely different policies in that the nearest one has recently changed and will now only take upto 10% for items not bought but the other seems to take any and all coupons including Joeys, Quattros, Somerfield, internet printed, etc. etc. even if you don't buy any of the products.

Guess which one I have started using recently?

It does seem to vary from shop to shop but maybe head office is trying to put a stop to this.
Your really can not beat a good bargain !!!
# 3
millie
Old 28-09-2005, 8:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Asda in Nottingham took my vouchers on Monday and did not say anything, I only used 3 for 1.20 in total but did not have any problems
# 4
Clowance
Old 28-09-2005, 9:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had much the same experience as Frosty on Saturday, so we will have to see if this filters through to any more stores. In my town there is a large ASDA (which has just stopped taking coupons for not buying product) and a small which has never taken them. Guess its back to Tesco's then!
Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
# 5
Kantankrus Mare
Old 28-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via AIM to Kantankrus Mare

my asda in grimsby was fine about taking vouchers on Monday
Mare

2014 online earnings:208 amazon / Inbox pounds 40.00 cheque Clixsense $200.92 Marks and Spencer Vouchers: 25
# 6
robnye
Old 29-09-2005, 7:38 AM

my local asda, will take 2 coupons as long as they sell the item , but you dont have to buy it
and 3 or 4 coupons as long as you have bought the item.
but it does depend on who is on the till
smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
# 7
SAHARA
Old 29-09-2005, 7:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Mine took 10% off on Tuesday
July Grocery Challenge Budget 160
Spent
# 8
Addy
Old 29-09-2005, 7:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Mine consistently will take only 10% for items you haven't bought, as long as they stock the product and it isn't a store specific one. Which is fine, as all till staff are aware of this so we all know where we stand.

I'd rather have that than the prospect of being told in a loud voice at Tesco "But you haven't BOUGHT any of these things" - in the same store that several were happily accepted a few days earlier.

If my Asda can implement a policy, and have all staff aware of it. Why can't Tesco (and some other Asda's)??
# 9
RAMBLER
Old 29-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unfortunately addy I think there does seem to be a policy ( which then changes) which is passed down to stores. Some pay attention (depending how sh*t hot the customer services manager is) and some just make their own rules up. CONFUSING OR WHAT. I just pray each time I go in (to either tesco's or asda) try to go to someone I know who excepts coupons, and if they don't, I smile pleasantly and try again next time.....

RAMBLER :confused: :confused: :confused:
# 10
Dormouse
Old 29-09-2005, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnye
my local asda, will take 2 coupons as long as they sell the item , but you dont have to buy it
and 3 or 4 coupons as long as you have bought the item.
Surely if you've bought the item, you can use however many coupons? :confused: E.g. if you have a voucher for everything in your basket, you could get the whole lot for free?
# 11
blossom30
Old 29-09-2005, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Post Still taking vouchers at my local...

Hi, I'm just back from my local Asda in Glasgow and they took all my vouchers off my shop no problem I hope this is only a blip at OPs' local...What I do is stick to the young guys /girls as they don't bother as much as the older ones.
# 12
Joto
Old 29-09-2005, 2:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I had 10 worth of vouchers taken off an 18 shop today and yesterday 10 off a 45 shop. It all seems to depend on the store/cashier etc.

I also noticed today that Asda have a xmas saving card which pays out an extra 1, 3 or 6 depending whether you have saved 49,99 or 149. As far as I could see provided you put this on the card anytime before (date to be confirmed) you will ' make' some money. In theory you could put it on the week before and save. If you shopat Asda anyway you will easily spend these amounts at xmas. Could be a nice little earner.
Look after the pennies and the s will look after themselves
# 13
frosty
Old 29-09-2005, 7:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default using coupons in Asda

Hi everyone, the asda I tried to use my coupons in was an Aberdeen one, the man at the checkout showed me the sticker he had on his till, saying he had to call customer services before taking any coupons if the customer was not buying the product............ :confused:
# 14
Tee-Bhoy
Old 29-09-2005, 7:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had the same problem with Asda they wouldnt take my 5 Walls voucher as I never had any Walls products in my trolley.
# 15
Kantankrus Mare
Old 29-09-2005, 10:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kantankrus Mare

I think this is probably just certain stores that are cracking down on vouchers.

The asda in Grimsby has just had a new tesco opened not far away from it and is constantly putting banners up and advertising in local telegraph that they take tesco and sainsbury's vouchers.

Something to do with the competition I guess?
Mare

2014 online earnings:208 amazon / Inbox pounds 40.00 cheque Clixsense $200.92 Marks and Spencer Vouchers: 25
# 16
Clowance
Old 30-09-2005, 7:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I suppose it could be competition related. Our Asda both opened a year ago and the main one took vouchers perfectly ok, there are three Tescos and a a Sainsburys and a Morrisons in the same town. But now Asda are presumably established, they have stopped taking them. But as you have the annoyance of getting a parking ticket and then remembering to get it refunded they may find we all go to Tesco where you dont bother, or Sainsburys where you are handy for the town centre!
Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
# 17
randan
Old 30-09-2005, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It does seem to vary from store to store and even checkout operator to checkout operator, even day to day with the same C/O's.

This week I have found Tesco much less fussy about coupons and they seem to take just about anything that scans. Again this prob varies from store to store though.
Your really can not beat a good bargain !!!

Last edited by randan; 30-09-2005 at 11:55 AM.
# 18
tammy
Old 30-09-2005, 12:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i think it has alot ot do with competition. everyone in my town loves tesco its become and grown into a big monster and wont accept coupons however asda will accept them perhaps because they are trying to win customers back?
# 19
Princess Fiona
Old 30-09-2005, 4:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Went into my local Walmart yesterday. I have had different experiences each time I hand over coupons. Depends who serves you.

One assistant would only allow me 10% worth of coupons against my bill. Yesterday another one accepted all of the coupons I gave her.

Dont know what their problem is as they still get to claim the money back from the manufacturers or have I got it wrong!!!!!
Closed Thread