Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Lawnmower Man
    prescription charges annual certificate
    • 19th May 03, 2:06 AM
    prescription charges annual certificate 19th May 03 at 2:06 AM
    INSERT - THIS IS NOW OUT OF DATE AND HAS BEEN REPLACED BY THE FULL GUIDE

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-prescriptions

Hello All

It always seems everyone else knows something you don't but if this small tip helps just one person save money then that will do me.

I 1 item on prescription cost 6.20 and for the past 7 years or so until 2002 I was having to get about 3 items a month minimum which per year is 223.20 visiting the chemist every time AND YET not one of them told me you can get 4 monthly and annual certs - not even the doctor who issues the prescription every month to me. 1 amount then as many prescriptions as needed. 4 months costs 32.40 and yearly 89. This may seem a lot but look at my saving 223.20 minus 89 a massive 134.20 a year AND that is just on regular medication for my condition let alone the odd prescription here and there that every needs.

Strange how I never saw this advertised they say millions goes unclaimed in benefits (like most people I don't like to be seen as though I am sponging off the state, but I work full time and there is nothing illegal about it).

Anyway, what with this years NI rises I know feel no compunction claiming this.

Hope this helps at least one person or maybe somebody you know.

Paul !

insert from Martin A breakdown of savings
    Further on in this discussion pharmacist Maxad2002, produced a summary of ways to save. !It was so good i thought i'd bring it to the top. !Here it is.

Hi!
    I work in a Pharmacy and am constantly amazed that so few people read their prescription or read the notices that we have to display in the shop.
    Here are some tips for you on how to save on prescription charges.

Cheaper to Buy over the Counter!!
    With many prescriptions especially for short term conditions like a fungal infection it is cheaper to buy over the counter. So next time you take a prescription ask, most chemists will tell you and you can save a packet. For example Daktarin cream 30g on prescription is 6.40 but over the counter for the same cream is 4.99!!

HRT and Two Charge items
    There are certain things that two charges have to be paid and generally this is when there are two items in one box such as two tablets or a cream and a tablet.
    The only way to get round this cost is to ask your doctor for two or three months supply instead of one or see what the maximum the doctor is willing to supply.
    so instead of 12.80 for 6 months supply you could get 12months supply for same cost.

Private Prescriptions !
    Many of us have to take antibiotics at some time in our life and at the time all you think about is taking them. However antibiotics are incredibly cheap so next time you need some ask your doctor if he is willing to write a private prescription. If he is all you will need to pay is around 4.00 instead of 6.40.
    * please not this goes for antibiotics like amoxycillin, penicillin, metrondiazole and erythromycin. *

Low income
    Other people have already mentioned it on this chat but if you are at uni or don't earn much ask for a hc2 form from your local pharmacy, theres quite a lot of q's but it's well worth it.

Prepayment forms
    Preypayment forms are just like bus passes and enable you to claim free prescriptions for a certain amount of time. The forms are available from your local chemist and you can either fill it in or phone up.
    To work out if it would be cheaper for you all you need to do is add up how many prescriptions you have over a year and if it is more than two a month it is cheaper for a 12 month certificate. !
    If you have more than 3 a month over four months then it is cheaper for a four month certificate.
    The main thing to remember is this if you are considering a claim then !get a NHS RECIEPT!! this is a form that once you obtained the certificate you can claim the money back from the post office. !
    They last three months from the time you pay the prescription charge so it's well worth getting.

(MARTIN INSERT: ACTUALLY THE ABOVE IS SLIGHTLY WRONG. Get over 14 prescriptions a year and the annual certificate saves money, or you need to get over5 in 4 months for the four month one. For more info call 0845 850 0030)

Well i hope these tips help. These are the basics and are designed to compliment what other people have said on here. !
    The main thing is don't be embarrassed about asking because i can bet you that the person on the counter would if they were in your situation!!
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 01-04-2010 at 2:46 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,460Posts Today

7,315Users online

Martin's Twitter