Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > prescription charges annual certificate (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
prescription charges annual certificate
Closed Thread
Views: 61,108
# 1
Lawnmower Man
Old 19-05-2003, 2:06 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default prescription charges annual certificate

INSERT - THIS IS NOW OUT OF DATE AND HAS BEEN REPLACED BY THE FULL GUIDE

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/cheap-prescriptions

Hello All

It always seems everyone else knows something you don't but if this small tip helps just one person save money then that will do me.

I 1 item on prescription cost 6.20 and for the past 7 years or so until 2002 I was having to get about 3 items a month minimum which per year is 223.20 visiting the chemist every time AND YET not one of them told me you can get 4 monthly and annual certs - not even the doctor who issues the prescription every month to me. 1 amount then as many prescriptions as needed. 4 months costs 32.40 and yearly 89. This may seem a lot but look at my saving 223.20 minus 89 a massive 134.20 a year AND that is just on regular medication for my condition let alone the odd prescription here and there that every needs.

Strange how I never saw this advertised they say millions goes unclaimed in benefits (like most people I don't like to be seen as though I am sponging off the state, but I work full time and there is nothing illegal about it).

Anyway, what with this years NI rises I know feel no compunction claiming this.

Hope this helps at least one person or maybe somebody you know.

Paul !

insert from Martin A breakdown of savings
Further on in this discussion pharmacist Maxad2002, produced a summary of ways to save. !It was so good i thought i'd bring it to the top. !Here it is.

Hi!
I work in a Pharmacy and am constantly amazed that so few people read their prescription or read the notices that we have to display in the shop.
Here are some tips for you on how to save on prescription charges.

Cheaper to Buy over the Counter!!
With many prescriptions especially for short term conditions like a fungal infection it is cheaper to buy over the counter. So next time you take a prescription ask, most chemists will tell you and you can save a packet. For example Daktarin cream 30g on prescription is 6.40 but over the counter for the same cream is 4.99!!

HRT and Two Charge items
There are certain things that two charges have to be paid and generally this is when there are two items in one box such as two tablets or a cream and a tablet.
The only way to get round this cost is to ask your doctor for two or three months supply instead of one or see what the maximum the doctor is willing to supply.
so instead of 12.80 for 6 months supply you could get 12months supply for same cost.

Private Prescriptions !
Many of us have to take antibiotics at some time in our life and at the time all you think about is taking them. However antibiotics are incredibly cheap so next time you need some ask your doctor if he is willing to write a private prescription. If he is all you will need to pay is around 4.00 instead of 6.40.
* please not this goes for antibiotics like amoxycillin, penicillin, metrondiazole and erythromycin. *

Low income
Other people have already mentioned it on this chat but if you are at uni or don't earn much ask for a hc2 form from your local pharmacy, theres quite a lot of q's but it's well worth it.

Prepayment forms
Preypayment forms are just like bus passes and enable you to claim free prescriptions for a certain amount of time. The forms are available from your local chemist and you can either fill it in or phone up.
To work out if it would be cheaper for you all you need to do is add up how many prescriptions you have over a year and if it is more than two a month it is cheaper for a 12 month certificate. !
If you have more than 3 a month over four months then it is cheaper for a four month certificate.
The main thing to remember is this if you are considering a claim then !get a NHS RECIEPT!! this is a form that once you obtained the certificate you can claim the money back from the post office. !
They last three months from the time you pay the prescription charge so it's well worth getting.

(MARTIN INSERT: ACTUALLY THE ABOVE IS SLIGHTLY WRONG. Get over 14 prescriptions a year and the annual certificate saves money, or you need to get over5 in 4 months for the four month one. For more info call 0845 850 0030)

Well i hope these tips help. These are the basics and are designed to compliment what other people have said on here. !
The main thing is don't be embarrassed about asking because i can bet you that the person on the counter would if they were in your situation!!

Last edited by MSE Martin; 01-04-2010 at 2:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawnmower Man For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Fastflys
Old 20-05-2003, 9:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Re: prescription charges annual certificate

I agree with you. !The prescription prepayment certificate is not promoted by GP's, hospitals or chemists. For years governments have kept this "benefit" under wraps.

Like you I require regular medication and for a number of years paid per item. !Four years ago I applied for my first annual prescription prepayment certificate and over the years, have saved a considerable amount of money. !In no way do I consider myself a sponger. !This is not a "Free" benefit. !The up front annual charge in October 02, when I last purchased mine was 89.00. !This charge may have increased. !Price rises are usually applied in April of each year.

This benefit is available to all regardless of circumstance.

I would urge those of you who require regular medication to apply. !The certificate covers the cost of all prescription items for 12 months so if you require 14+ items per year you will benefit financially.

Ask for NHS brochure FP95 at your chemist, a very simple application form is contained therein.

Can't get your hands on a brochure? no problem, phone 0845 - 850 0030, order your prepayment certificate and pay for it by credit or debit card.

Still not sure? write to them, the address is as follows:

Prescription Pricing Authority
PPC Issue Office
PO Box 854
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 2DE

Or visit their website: www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm

P.S. !Last year the postcard size paper certificate was replaced with a plastic one the size of a credit card. !Much easier to carry around.

Get one today!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fastflys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MSE Martin
Old 20-05-2003, 9:37 PM
Money Saving Expert
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thank you both for this information. I must admit I'd never heard about it. I'm very impressed and will be adding it to my next money tip by linking people to this discussion so that they can read your posts. Thank you very much.

Martin
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Martin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Andrea
Old 21-05-2003, 1:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Could I just add that people with certain illnesses (can't remember them all but epilepsy is one of them) should receive one of these (or something similar) entitling them to free prescriptions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Old 01-06-2003, 8:33 PM

Just to say that it is good that people know about this as I was very greatful to be told about this in 1998 at the hospital pharmacy on getting my first prescription for cancer treatment which was the price of 3 prescriptions all at once and was going to be like that every 3 weeks for 9 months plus, so I certainly saved a lot of money at this stressful time.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Old 02-06-2003, 2:31 AM

If you have several regular prescriptions they are normally for 1 month each. Try to get them all together. Next time they are issued get a 4 monthly "season ticket". When approaching the runout of that ticket get your prescription early just before expiry. Only renew it a month later when you need your next prescriptions, and repeat as above. There is no obligation to renew immediately.
Over the long run you get 10 with 2 tickets and dont pay for two months.
# 7
Old 02-06-2003, 1:49 PM

great idea but you may be able to save more dosh!!!

If you buy a 4 month pre payment certificate and get a prescription immediately prior to it expiring. (Most GP's are willing to oblige given the cost of each item) you may get enough medication to cover an extra 2 months.

I only have to buy two 4 month pre payment certificates per year, saving some dosh.
# 8
Old 02-06-2003, 3:44 PM

Did you all know that you can also get free prescriptions and save money off glasses with a HC2 form. Available from opticians and chemists. You do however need to be on a low income and not be getting other benefits.(income support & family credit) Ideal though for students and the elderly.
I work in an opticians and we give them out regularly.
Its well worth a read to see if it would benefit you!
# 9
Old 15-06-2003, 9:26 PM

My wife has had a Pre payment certificate for years - this is mainly for asthma drugs, but if she was diabetic and needed insulin there would be no need. Strange how both can be life threatening but only diabetes gets free perscriptions.

Iain
www.homesonsale.co.uk
sell your house without an estate agent!
# 10
Galstonian
Old 16-06-2003, 2:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You could always argue that nobody really gets free prescriptions. Some people have to pay more on collection but even that doesn't mean the costs are bourne entirely by the patient. There are plenty of anomolies in the health service but asthma drugs would still cost more via health insurance (I know from having living abroad).
# 11
Old 19-06-2003, 10:08 PM

I totally agree with Ian about Asthma sufferes having to pay for their perscriptions,my husband suffers with it and i dont think they should have to pay.
# 12
homesonsale
Old 20-06-2003, 1:48 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Savings could be made by the NHS by stopping these so called "NHS Tourists" they come into the country and head straight to the nearest hospital. Once there in A&E they get seen without any checks whatsoever.

If they are an emergency they get treated there and then. Someone could have been due to go in for an operation but it gets cancelled, because someone who has not paid into the system abuses it. This is not the fault of the individual but the system!

ID cards would start to sort this out but they would need to be linked up to a central database and checked before they started any treatment. A bit like if you need treatmet when abroad - show your insurance before you get treated.

In fact I bet most people travelling in to the UK do not bother with expensive travel insurance - as we are so generous we treat for FREE!

Iain
www.homesonsale.co.uk
Sell your house without an estate agent
FREE to advertise!
The Following User Says Thank You to homesonsale For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Galstonian
Old 20-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Probably true up to a point but I would be really surprised if it was the same kind of drain on resources that any of the self-inflicted health risks are.

Anyway, A&E do not treat illnessese, they treat accidents and emergencies. If you are well enough to travel and plan to do this then there are probably very few ailments that might be treated as an emergency especially one requiring an operation.

Do you have any numbers to back up this argument?
The Following User Says Thank You to Galstonian For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
leosayer39
Old 22-06-2003, 9:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

For information,

E111 forms are free to obtain from the post office who also make no charge to stamp it.

I have one as does my partner and we always take them abroad. For some reason we also carry a photocopy of the form itself. Don't know why we do this but I must have read it somewhere on the form that it is beneficial to do this. (Its three years since we had ours stamped and I think that they last till you use them but I ll check this out when I get time).

I think that if you use the form you have to get a new, stamped one from the post office on your return as the old one is kept by the hospital/doctor you attend.

Leo
The Following User Says Thank You to leosayer39 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Camelz
Old 03-07-2003, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

:

Anyway enough of this pontificating and back to some money saving.

I asked my doc for a 3 month repeat prescription as I have to pay - he said no problem - try it with your docs.

I can usually manage to wangle 3 repeats in four months - 9 months of medication on one 4 month pre pay certificate. (get prescription 1, buy 4 month cert; after 2 months get prescription 2, just before cert runs out get prescription 3).

My doc has never questioned the frequency I order the repeat prescriptions - he just monitors annual usage of the prescribed drugs, as long as I only order 4 repeats a year he is OK with my method.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Old 24-08-2003, 4:10 PM

The probable reason doctors dont mention is that they are probably unaware of it. I have been working in this country since 1995 as a doctor(hospital)but I didnt know about it last year when I had an illness which meant that I had to take few tablets regualrly (when I browsed the net trying find ways of buying the tablets cheaply as even hospital pharmacy wouldnt dispense the tablets for longer than 28 days usually for obvious reasons that they can charge you everytime). I now tell my patients about this when I see them in the clinic when they are concened about the cost of prescription. I also realised at that time that even my colleagues dont know about the prepayment certificate.
# 17
Old 27-08-2003, 11:32 AM

If you don't have an annual certificate you might still make some savings on your prescription.

Ask the Pharmacist if any of the medicines on your prescription are not POM (prescription only medicines) and can be bought over the counter cheaper than the prescription charge for that/those items.
# 18
al.green
Old 27-08-2003, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just a thought, do people know about few eye tests for computer users? I believe it's an EU rule, but anyone who users a computer monitor for work and can't do without it should recieve free eye tests from their employer. This isn't well advertised in my company, but if you ask they'll give you a voucher.
# 19
Galstonian
Old 02-09-2003, 3:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Would free prescriptions change this number?
# 20
hutchie
Old 03-09-2003, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Skint Al , That's quite correct.Companies must allow there employees a free eye test if they use computers. If they need glasses they will or should only get them for middle distance e.g. 14"-26" from pc screens.A lot of companies supply them free of charge to there employees
Closed Thread