IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Funding to take a CSCS card test
Closed Thread
Views: 37,210
# 1
gally56
Old 28-05-2008, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Funding to take a CSCS card test

Hi my brother in law is looking to take a health and safety test to acquire the CSCS card so he can get back working as a general labourer (sorry a construction site operative, must use the right title!!!). Queston is can he go to the job centre or any goverment scheme to ask for the money to get the test and the CSCS wants he has passed the test which would be in total about £42.50 which with him being on Job Seekers allowance is a hefty sum to pay out in one go especially as is doesnt totally guarantee him a job all be it a better cahnce as at the moment there is a lot of rejuvenation going on in out town. SO is there a way he could apply to get the funding toget this CSCS card.
thanks to all the advice that will hopefully come.
# 2
Zazen999
Old 28-05-2008, 8:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The only industry funding that I know of is the CITB grants, that are paid to the employer.

However, a lot of training providers run ESF [European Social Fund] projects which will assist and reimburse the costs - alot of them in construction are ideally looking to get people into the industry; my sister company runs one at the moment.

Whereabouts are you? I know of several projects in various locations and might be able to point you in the right direction. If you PM me a location, I'll see what I can find.

If you don't want to PM me, and why should you - try all your local Job Centre Pluses for construction related projects that they are involved with.

Also, call the CITB [now called ConstructionSkills] office near you and ask them if they have any Academies nearby, again these are primarily supposed to get LOCAL people on site and should be able to help you.

For info: I worked at CITB/ConstructionSkills in Management for over 7 years and one of my best pals there is in total charge of the H&S test that you speak of; so I do know what I am talking about!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zazen999 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ukdickie31
Old 28-05-2008, 10:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If B-in-L is on JSA and has been continuously for 6 months without a break, he can enquire about the Adviser Discretion Fund.

Link below to give more detail

Read points 1 to 5.. the rest is recording and accounting processes which is all internal processes.

Remember there is no right to receive. It is not a benefit and the adviser can say no, even if you fit in the qualification criteria.

(link takes you to the National Archives website - click Agree to get the document).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/E...AB/29/781/174/

Last edited by ukdickie31; 28-05-2008 at 10:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukdickie31 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Zazen999
Old 29-05-2008, 4:14 PM

I've PMed you the nearest contacts to your BIL's location.
# 5
corsa
Old 29-05-2008, 10:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I had the same problem.I went for my cscs card from jobcentre when i was claiming jca and all they said was you have to pay for the cscs card test etc.But if you take 1 of the following courses maths/I.T/english or something along those subjects.Then if you pass you get to take the cscs test free.Was to much hassle for me so i didnt bother doing it but if anyone knows diffrent please pm me.
# 6
ukdickie31
Old 30-05-2008, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Corsa

The JC probably referred you to an Intermediary - ie an outside organisation who have ready access to funding. They get their funding when basic qualifications are gained by a person.

The JC can only help as per my post at Post 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukdickie31 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bargain
Old 16-06-2008, 7:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Any one know what questions they ask when taking this test.
# 8
kazwookie
Old 16-06-2008, 7:29 PM

I did the CSCS managers part, and passed.

You need to get the correct book, and revise the relevant sections, my test was carried out in a local hotel car park, in a specially converted lorry! a touch screen type test, question then it showed 4 answers and you had to select the right one from what I can remember 40 questions in 45 mins.
# 9
Zazen999
Old 16-06-2008, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargain View Post
Any one know what questions they ask when taking this test.
They ask you 40 random questions from a large bank of questions; several from each section of H&S.

If you plan to take the test, I recommend getting the book; available from all good bookstores.

All questions are in the form of multi choice; there are 2 that are totally wrong answers; one that could be right and one that is 100% correct. Most of them can be guessed, as it is obvious which is the correct answer. It's a touch screen test, you don't have to write anything down.
# 10
Chickenprincess x
Old 23-06-2008, 1:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ask your BIL to ask the Job Centre about New Deal, I work for a training company who work in partnership with Job Centre Plus and all our clients that are sent to us (have to be claiming JSA for a certain amount of months) are entitled to free CSCS training (mock tests) and the actual test which costs £17.50

What area are you in? Also Learn Direct offer free CSCS (well in our area anyway) so thats worth a try.
Weight loss so far 1st 12 1/2 lbs
£2008 for 2008 member 784: July Wins: £10 VV voucher, £7.50 VV voucher, £50 figleaves voucher
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickenprincess x For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
yaarjee
Old 08-06-2010, 7:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cscs card

you can go to LIFELINE organisation for free cscs card and traing.
The Following User Says Thank You to yaarjee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
SueC
Old 08-06-2010, 8:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

The revision books are currently available from Amazon at £5.89, which is a lot cheaper than I've been able to find them anywhere else, including the CITB website.

£17.50 for the test, plus the £5.89, should see your brother in law clear. Total £23.39 - a bit better than what you first thought, and possibly more do-able if he's asking the JobCentre for a discretionary grant.

That said, to be honest, many of the questions are fairly common sense. If he has construction experience he could well be able to pass the touchscreen test without even bothering with the book.
The Following User Says Thank You to SueC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
1984ReturnsForReal
Old 08-06-2010, 8:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueC View Post
The revision books are currently available from Amazon at £5.89, which is a lot cheaper than I've been able to find them anywhere else, including the CITB website.

£17.50 for the test, plus the £5.89, should see your brother in law clear. Total £23.39 - a bit better than what you first thought, and possibly more do-able if he's asking the JobCentre for a discretionary grant.

That said, to be honest, many of the questions are fairly common sense. If he has construction experience he could well be able to pass the touchscreen test without even bothering with the book.

Other than the colour banding of fire extinguishers & what fires each are used for it is pretty much common sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1984ReturnsForReal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
oldmotherreilly
Old 08-06-2010, 8:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In my local area the CSCS card is offered by the Jobcentre via a provider under the Rapid Response to Redundancy programme, with no charge to the jobseeker. It depends how long your brother in law has been registered as unemployed but it is definitely worth asking about this. The only downside is that there is a month waiting list and that if they accept you on to the course, you first have to complete 15 hours of what is called 'guided' help-cvs, interviewing techniques etc. However, our local provider allows you to complete these hours as soon as you like and you can have done the 15 hours and taken the test within about two weeks. I would get him to ask at the JCP as soon as possible.
# 15
Mr_Oink
Old 08-06-2010, 8:52 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did see a CSCS mobile testing unit at Wickes in Farnborough a few weeks ago but they were charging more than that for it.
{start rant}
What is ironic is if you are sent to prison you will get the chance to train for GAS SAFE, CSCS or CCNA (and a host of other courses) all of which are mostly useless given the 'ex con' will usually be CRB checked to work in many fields and fail. It would make *more* sense to spend this money on training people on JSA who stood some chance of working!

Having had a family member go through it (and the long JSA loop) I can sympathise with how poor the help is. There are jobs out there for skilled people, but nobody wants to give / train for the skills needed - or fund it so out of work people can get meaningful work.{end rant}
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Oink For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ellie113
Old 15-07-2010, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default cpcs card

Does anyone know if there is any funding available for the cpcs cards? My partner has passed the cscs card but is an experienced dumper driver and cannot get work with his dumper ticket as it isn't recognised anymore. He has enquired about getting a cpcs card and the cost would be about £600.....................how we are expected to pay this when he is out of work is beyond me!! I cannot understand the thought behind this government initiative when there are so many experienced people out of work who are simply not in a position to be able to afford to re sit tests that they have already taken (under another title).
# 17
kwaka750
Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy im in same situation

i am 46 years old and drove dumppers and 180 / 360 diggers since leaving school. i have cards for these but they are in house cards so you dont leave a company.
i was made redundant and now all jobs i find want me to have a cpcs card. how can i get this when i have been on job seekers allowance for the past 3 months. i just dont have the money but cant get a job without the cpcs card. just stuck in a catch 22 situation.
any advice???
martin (hull, east yorkshire)

Last edited by kwaka750; 03-08-2010 at 11:06 AM.
# 18
Becciboobah
Old 03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Convert

The Job Centre paid for my other half to get his CSCS card. They will do it. He's a roofer/building labourer and having been working for donkey's he never had one and when he got made redundant after being on JSA they agreed to do it as it would help him gain employment. He also got his Fork Lift licenses through the JC as there were a lot of Fork Lift vacancies but he didn't have the licenses so he asked if they'd pay for the courses and they agreed. He now has a brilliant job that he loves in warehousing. You shouldn't have any trouble as there are a lot of 360 jobs around at the moment and it'll enable you to apply for these vacancies. You just need to keep on at them.
Better to say nothing and look a fool than to speak and remove all doubt
# 19
kwaka750
Old 03-08-2010, 2:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thanks i will keep on at them
# 20
Always Harassed
Old 03-08-2010, 6:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Didn't have time to read through all the replies properly so forgive me if this has been already posted. Some providers of the CSCS test will accept an ILA (Individual Learning Account) as payment. It is a question of contacting test centres that are fairly near you. Takes a few weeks to get the ILA approved but is worth it if you are financially challenged.
Closed Thread