Buying a diamond engagement ring from Birmingham Jewellery Quarter

Options
Firstly Ive had to create a new id as my wonderful OH uses this site and hopefully she now wont suspect anything. :D

After deciding to take the plunge and propose :j I read all the threads on here about buying an engagement ring and decided to check out the jewellery quarter in Brum. We arent exactly local but its not hard for us to get there.

From knowing a bit about OH's preferences and tastes, I knew I was looking for a solitaire diamond ring with a platinum band and a claw setting.

I found a lovely jewellers in the quarter who would create the exact ring I wanted from my own design and they even made a wax replica of what the ring would look like so I could confirm it was exactly what i wanted. And it was - it was perfect!! :j

Then the problem of picking a stone came. She has quite petite fingers so a huge rock will look out of place. I think something between 0.75 and 1 carat would be perfect. In terms of the other C's, I was more flexible but wanted a good quality stone.

The jeweller suggested a 0.73 carat, D colour, very good cut, SI diamond with certificates which looked lovely.

I asked about a price for that diamond in the platinum band and he said around £3k but if I liked it a price could be agreed. I said I needed some time to think about it and left it at that.

I have two questions which Im hoping someone can help with:

1. I understand that there are different places that do diamond cert's. This one is ICI (I think) . Is that good, bad or does it not really matter who does the cert?

2. How much discount should I expect to get when he says a price can be agreed? How much should I be looking to pay for that stone in that setting?

Thanks in advance for any help. :beer:

Comments

• elliemfl
    elliemfl Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I don't really have any advice as such, but to give you an idea, I got my diamond solitaire from the jewellery quarter 3 years ago.

It cost £600.
    It is a white gold band, with a solitaire 1/4 carat D-colour totally flawless diamond.
    I have the diamond certificate thingy to prove it.
    We got it trade price from a place that make for wholesale, so the valuation cert states a commercial value of £1200.

The shop is called crystalink. http://www.crystalink.co.uk/
    It looks quite old fashioned I suppose, but they were so helpful, they let me try on loads and loads, and I went away to think about it, and then came back to try loads more...
    They were so nice we went back for our wedding rings, which they made to our spec.

I think £3000 sounds like a lot. I'd give these guys a ring and ask how much...
    Comping since July 2007.
    Wins so far: ambre solaire gel, ipod shuffle, dida herbal tablets, travelguard holiday health kit, 2x avon lipgloss, 1 paperback book, 1 shrek keyring, 1 baileys music album download.

Target: win a Wii or xbox 360 for hubby.
  • elliemfl
    Options
    And jsut to add, 1 carat sounds like a huge rock to me, I cannot imagine wearing one 4 times bigger than what I have!
    Comping since July 2007.
    Wins so far: ambre solaire gel, ipod shuffle, dida herbal tablets, travelguard holiday health kit, 2x avon lipgloss, 1 paperback book, 1 shrek keyring, 1 baileys music album download.

• elliemfl
    Options
    Erm sorry, me again.
    I've just realised that they have this on their site. Make a ring to your spec and it tells you the price!
    http://www.crystalink.co.uk/showroom1.php?s=diamonds
    Comping since July 2007.

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My engagement ring and wedding ring came from Crown Jules in the Birmingham jewellery quarter last year, again, possibly a store you might miss, but it's great with great helpful service.

Anyway they made my ring to what I wanted and sourced the correct stones for the ring.

It was alot under £3k, the platinum was done by weight and the stones priced as normal, but not normal for *shops*,. My e-ring is a fraction of hight street store prices, for a much superior ring, both in stone and style. People always comment on how gorgeous it is!!

£3k seems to be slightly more then normal high street stores.
  • manfromouterspace
    Options
    elliemfl wrote: »
    Erm sorry, me again.
    I've just realised that they have this on their site. Make a ring to your spec and it tells you the price!
    http://www.crystalink.co.uk/showroom1.php?s=diamonds

I had a go on this (thanks for the link) and for a platinum band, 0.75 ct round VS2 D stone (which is as close to the stone that Im trying to price as I can get) it comes out at £3,230 and thats using their template for a ring and not an original one designed especially for me.

Although I do get 10% off if I purchase over internet but thats still not that dissimilar from the price I was quoted originally.
  • manfromouterspace
    Options
    Murtle wrote: »
    My engagement ring and wedding ring came from Crown Jules in the Birmingham jewellery quarter last year, again, possibly a store you might miss, but it's great with great helpful service.

Anyway they made my ring to what I wanted and sourced the correct stones for the ring.

It was alot under £3k, the platinum was done by weight and the stones priced as normal, but not normal for *shops*,. My e-ring is a fraction of hight street store prices, for a much superior ring, both in stone and style. People always comment on how gorgeous it is!!

£3k seems to be slightly more then normal high street stores.

I have been around the high st stores too and for a platinum band with a similar stone (actually slightly lower spec) came to £3,700.

Im not sure if prices have rocketted recently or if everyone is trying to take a lend of me :confused:
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My engagement ring came from the jewellery quarter in Brum some seven years ago. We also had our wedding rings from the same jeweller. He was a friend of my father in laws and didnt actually have a shop just a workshop. I think he was called Paul Bates if you want to look him up in the phone book.

Initially we went to his home to look at some rings and also with the idea of breaking up an existing ring left to me by my nan. After a lot of discussions and hubby going white every time I tried a ring on I eventually chose a solitaire in a very flat round setting but asked for the diamond to be a little bigger (hubby went grey when I said that). My ring is lovely it is .38 of a carat and is very wearable - it cost just under £1000 and Paul said in a high street shop you would be looking at three times that amount. Lots of my friends have rings in claw settings and dont wear their rings all of the time as they catch on clothing etc.

I have small hands too and I feel the size of my ring is fine for me - I wouldnt want anything bigger.

Perhaps you could get a friend of your girlfriend to take her into some jewellers just for fun and try on some big rocks to get an idea of what suits her finger.
  • elainefu88
    elainefu88 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    elliemfl wrote: »
    I don't really have any advice as such, but to give you an idea, I got my diamond solitaire from the jewellery quarter 3 years ago.

It cost £600.
    It is a white gold band, with a solitaire 1/4 carat D-colour totally flawless diamond.
    I have the diamond certificate thingy to prove it.
    We got it trade price from a place that make for wholesale, so the valuation cert states a commercial value of £1200.

The shop is called crystalink. http://www.crystalink.co.uk/
    It looks quite old fashioned I suppose, but they were so helpful, they let me try on loads and loads, and I went away to think about it, and then came back to try loads more...
    They were so nice we went back for our wedding rings, which they made to our spec.

I think £3000 sounds like a lot. I'd give these guys a ring and ask how much...

Maybe...Why don't buy TIFFANY silvr jewelry....soulds like well...
    I love my job,I know more knowlege from my job.
  • Neiliboy
    Neiliboy Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    just bare in mind platinum prices have gone through the roof recently.....nearly £1000 an ounce IIRC......good luck shopping :)
  • manfromouterspace
    Options
    Neiliboy wrote: »
    just bare in mind platinum prices have gone through the roof recently.....nearly £1000 an ounce IIRC......good luck shopping :)

I think that is the basis of the problem Im having. The fact is that the ring HAS to be platinum though and there isnt much chance (apparently) of the price coming down anytime soon. If anything, it is expected to continue to go up and up. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure