Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Teterow
    Just been made redundant - what can I claim?
    • 25th Apr 08, 10:44 PM
    Just been made redundant - what can I claim? 25th Apr 08 at 10:44 PM
    Hello there,

I am really hoping you can offer some valuable advise:

My situation in brief:
    1. will be made redundant as of 30.04.08
    2. redundancy payment, plus outstanding hols, plus last months pay equal less that 6k
    3. no significant savings
    4. property owner, mortgage payments 809 per month
    5. currently supporting my partner (full-time mature student, he did not get a grant)
    6. I am German, so dont know the system that well
    7. never claimed any benefits before, apart from 25% Council Tax reduction due to my partner being a student
    8. I am actively looking for work, (alrady had 3 interviews, another 3 lined up for next week)
    9. Have paid NI for the past 6 years
    10. no children

QUESTION: What can I claim until I get a new job?

I know that I should be able to claim JSA. My question: will I be able to claim the couple allowance of ca. 94 or do you have to be a married couple (we are in a long term relationship)?
    Also, will I be able to reclaim council tax for a months or so, really hope I will not be out of work any longer?
    How about my mortgage payments, will I be able to get any help with that?

Is there anything else, I need to know or do?

Thank you very much for your help!
    March 2011 - 5000 saved/ now 4000
    March 2011 - CC paid off
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,304Posts Today

8,811Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • What class are you? It's an outdated concept but many still idenfity with it... PLEASE VOTE http://t.co/xUfeHkomgB

• RT @__Marmite__: @MartinSLewis years after CAA & Monarch airlines rejected my flight delay claim, just had email saying they reviewed it & ?

• In our "do you feel better off than at the last election?" poll. Those under 35 & over 65 say YES, in betweens NO... http://t.co/c0akjn2hUw

• Follow Martin