Blemain Finance

Options
angel00079
angel00079 Posts: 639 Forumite
To start with I hope that I have used the correct section. I would appreciate some advice on Blemain Finance. I have done a search and have found some old threads but they do not seem relavent.

From what I have read I understand Blemain are a last resort. We took a secured loan out with them in 2000. At the time our credit history meant that other avenues were not an option. We have had a few problems in the past where some of the payments have been a few months behind but in the last few years I would say that we have not been behind.

Just lately we seem to get nothing but hassle from them and it is causing a lot of stress. We have now paid off the loan (including interest) but still have outstanding late charges and default interest. We normally pay by ringing up. This is from the time when we cancelled the standing order as we knew that the funds would not be available but we did contact them and make regular payment. On several occasions we have been contacted and told that the payment is overdue even though it wasn't (due that day). I know that leaving it to the day is not ideal.

In October they left us an answerphone message with a contact number. The full number could not be heard so we called the general number. They tried to find our account but couldn't. In short after a long period on hold we were told that we didn't owe anything and it was probably just a sales call to see if we wanted another loan. It turn out that there was actually six months still to go. We queried what had happen but we were told that that was nothing on our account. There wouldn't be as it looks like the wrong account was access. We asked them to look into as the phone call was probably recorded. We have heard nothing about this. To be fair we have not followed it up and just wanted to pay everything off.

The more dealings we have with them the more incompenent I think they are. I can't believe a word they say. On several occasions teamleaders have agreed that the payment is not overdue and that we should not have been contacted.

They have the wrong postcode for us and we keep telling telling them and we have even written to them. This has caused a lot of problems. This may have been why we were told that we did not owe anything. I doubt that half the letters (changed at £30) they have sent out got here due to the postcode. I am wondering if this is against the Data Protection Act.

Today we had another call asking us when when were going to pay. As it happens my brother paid today as we believed that it was due tomorrow. So he was suprised to get home today to find that they had been hassling my mother.

At the moment I am not sure who is looking after the account Bleinmain or Monarch Recoveries. It turns out that the payment is actually due on the 29th of the month not the 2nd. I cannot find the paperwork which would confirm this. We have been paying by the 2nd for years and this has never come up before. The teamleaders have even agreed in the past that it was not overdue. If the date was the 29th this would be incorrect.

We have asked for a breakdown of the charges and were told that noboby had asked for this before. I find this hard to believe. I know that we owe charges. We have been late in the past so I would expect these. I just want to make sure that they are fair. The more we talk to Blemain/Monarch the more concern I am that there may be some charges that are unfair.

Some friends have said just pay them off and put it down to experience as they are a large company and will win even if they have included unfair charges. I know that we have not been ideal customers but I do feel that we have been treated unfairly. We have to keep calling them and are kept on hold. They do not seem to be able to answer a question without checking first but they still seem to give incorrect information. I know that it is their job to chase up late payments but does that mean they have to talk to people like they are children.

I am not sure where to go from here. I am wondering if I should put everything in writing or asked for recordings of our telephone conversations. The thing is that I do not believe anything they say anymore. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I think it is time for you to put an end to this nonesense.
    Companies like Blemaine and Welcome are taking the whatnots.

As long as your loan was less that £25,000 I think there is every chance of gaining some money back from these people.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • angel00079
    angel00079 Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    We are not far off clearing everything now, just the charges that should be paid off in the next few months. I am not sure how we are going to get to the bottom of the charges. There have been occasions when we have been told that a charge will be deducted because they have admitted that it should not have been applied in the first place. All we have is a total of the charges, not how they are made up. Unless we have this we are not going to know if the charges have been deducted as they said they would. All this was over the phone so I guess it would be our word against theirs if they only said that to keep us quiet and had not intention of removing them. We have asked for a breakdown but if the past is anything to go by I will not hold my breath.

I do not like paying charges, who does but if they are legitimate then fair comment. We have really been screwed over with this loan especially as we took out useless insurance that we told that we had to have. I am so grateful for a site like this, I am not so green anymore. At the end of the day nobody forced us to take out the loan and I am glad we did because we are now financially better of it just annoying that companies like Blemain have you over a barrel.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I understand Stephensons have a number of cases going through regarding unenforceable loan agreements from Blemain. Might be worth givingthem a ring.

This is a link regarding a Black Horse case but the same principles apply

http://www.stephensons.co.uk/site/news_and_events/firmsnews/credit_agreements_can_be_reversed.html
  • bewildered74
    Options
    "At the moment I am not sure who is looking after the account Bleinmain or Monarch Recoveries."

Firstly, to clear something up; Blemain Finance and Monach Recoveries are one and the same. I know this because when I was once speaking to one of Monachs phone staff, I asked if I should contact Blemain regarding a transaction and was told not to bother because the Blemain staff were just the other side of the room!

Currently, I am fretting over a letter I have received from Blemain. I, like angel00079, wasn't always on time with my repayments but would try to catch up whenever I could. This was a secured loan for £3000 that I took out in 2000. It was high interest because I needed the money to pay off arrears that had accumulated on my mortgage. now, 8 years on, they have sent me a letter for an early settlement figure -I did not request this - their man on the phone told me that this has been issued because the agreement has reached the end of it's course. The letter has these exceedingly worrying figures:

Amount outstanding under this agreement: £808.25
    Redemption administration fee: £395.00
    Additional interest: £4,058.68
    Buildings insurance charges to date: £2,805.74
    Collection costs: £1,645.00
    Total settlement figure: £9,712.67

I've been told that this total amount needs to be paid by 13/05/2008 - less than a months time.

People get loans because they are strapped for cash and cannot afford any sort of lump sum; these people want me to find nearly £10,000 in three weeks. How can this be legal? If anyone can offer me any help whatsoever regarding this ridiculous figure, please, please do so.

EDIT: 23 April 2008

I've come to some sort of agreement with Blemain; I can continue to pay off the outstanding payment with monthly instalments; currently it will take approximately another 15 years to pay it off!!!

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT GETTING A LOAN OUT WITH THESE PEOPLE, I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO CHECK ELSEWHERE FIRST.
  • Mick_B_4
    Mick_B_4 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Amazing how they hound you when they think you owe them.

I have recently discovered we have been paying them 82.78 p/m for the last 19 months for a loan we never took.

I am told today the cheque was posted friday first class (funnily enough it has not arrived) This is a full week after they told me it was to be posted that day too.

They are either LIARS or do not know what they are doing in the slightest.

They are useless and incompetent. Stay well clear of this company.
  • bailey1_2
    Options
    Can you elaborate?
  • midge61
    midge61 Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    subbing as I too have a loan with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories