Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > paying council tax late (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
paying council tax late
Closed Thread
Views: 6,564
# 1
vicki b
Old 25-03-2008, 8:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default paying council tax late

does anyone know what will happen if i pay my council tax 3 days late?
# 2
Butterfliesarepretty
Old 25-03-2008, 9:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You will get a letter from the council telling you to pay immediately. They hate being paid late. I tried to pay mine later.
Unemployed But Determined To Get Work

# 3
vicki b
Old 25-03-2008, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

would i really get a letter after 3 days?
The Following User Says Thank You to vicki b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
annettetabs
Old 25-03-2008, 10:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default late payment of council tax

I suppose it depends what part of the country you are in. We are in Essex and we pay ours by internet banking sometimes up to a week late. We do not normally get a letter until 10 days after a payment is due, You could always ring the account department and tell them your paying it later than normal then at least you covered your back and made contact in the first place.
# 5
ukclarkkent
Old 25-03-2008, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

i was just going to ask something along these lines...

i got my annual 08/09 council tax bill today and it tells what the monthly breakdown is. i want to put that money into a savings account each month rather than cardiff council's bank so can i do this and pay it all off next march(09) or do i have to pay them the amount each month?

surely as long as i pay it all off by the end of the year then that's my annual bill settled...

hope someone can answer,
ukck
# 6
annettetabs
Old 25-03-2008, 10:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Council Tax

I'm not sure about that - its a good idea. We didn't didn't pay ours for a couple of months due to personal circumstances which the council were aware of and we got a baliff knocking on our door. Maybe you should just contact your council directly and ask them - maybe you need to prove to them that at the end of the council tax year you will have the lump sum to pay them??

I would love to know the answer.
# 7
Racklen
Old 25-03-2008, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

its takes about a week in my area as i have so many bill to pay at the 1st of the month i have to straddle them over the foirst week to fit doing them around my job and i refuse to have them all by direct debit i have enough as it is.

try writing to your council and asking about paying annual but they may then demand its paid at the beginning of the year

you dont know if you dont ask
# 8
squishyclaire
Old 25-03-2008, 11:04 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It is really unlikely that they will let you pay nothing for the whole of the year because you have a monthly payment plan and you are not keeping to it. You would therefore be defaulting each month. If you ring them and discuss it with them they may be able to change your payment arrangements but you would still have to pay certain parts by a certain date.

My tip if you are going to ring, be really nice as you won't get anything if you are rude to the staff. Sometimes the staff do have some discretion on how things are paid but this will not go in you favour if you are shirty (not that I am suggesting anyone would!). I have paid my council tax over 12 months rather than 10 under 2 different councils on dd. It may not be a big thing but it certainly helped me out when we moved house and were short of money.

Last edited by squishyclaire; 25-03-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: missed out some text
# 9
CLAPTON
Old 25-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

basically, if everyone paid at the end of the year the council would have to borrow the equivalent amount of money for the year which would mean an immediate rise in council tax of between 5-10% over and above the 'normal' rise..... so think about it and how likely they are to agree unless you have exceptional circumstances....
# 10
caveat_emptor
Old 25-03-2008, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki b View Post
does anyone know what will happen if i pay my council tax 3 days late?
You will most loikely get a fine, 50-100 if I rememeber rightly. Whether you pay it is up to you, lots of people in my borough get away with it.
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
# 11
Errata
Old 25-03-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukclarkkent View Post
i was just going to ask something along these lines...

i got my annual 08/09 council tax bill today and it tells what the monthly breakdown is. i want to put that money into a savings account each month rather than cardiff council's bank so can i do this and pay it all off next march(09) or do i have to pay them the amount each month?

surely as long as i pay it all off by the end of the year then that's my annual bill settled...

hope someone can answer,
ukck
The bill is due when you get it, the council can agree to let you pay monthly.
You could try agreeing not to use roads, schools, police, fire brigade or have your bins emptied until the end of the year !
# 12
kaznelson
Old 25-03-2008, 12:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

From past experience if you make more than 2 payments late (15 or 30 days, not sure?? ) in one year, you forfeit your right to pay in instlaments.

The council will then demand the balance in full.
The Following User Says Thank You to kaznelson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
StevenP
Old 25-03-2008, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat_emptor View Post
You will most loikely get a fine, 50-100 if I rememeber rightly. Whether you pay it is up to you, lots of people in my borough get away with it.

Never heard of this anywhere , ever

source ?
# 14
seven-day-weekend
Old 25-03-2008, 12:32 PM

A good idea if you find yiu always pay late and you pay in ten instalments, is to pay in advance. For example, if your payment is due on April 20th and it is easier for you to pay on the 28th of the month, then pay April's payment on March 28th, and then you will always be up to date instead of arrears and will still have your two months 'off' at the end - It will just be January and February instead of February and March.

I have always done this so I can pay to suit my budget.
I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
I am a Floating Voter - every party wants to be my friend
# 15
melvis
Old 25-03-2008, 1:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to melvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven-day-weekend View Post
A good idea if you find yiu always pay late and you pay in ten instalments, is to pay in advance. For example, if your payment is due on April 20th and it is easier for you to pay on the 28th of the month, then pay April's payment on March 28th, and then you will always be up to date instead of arrears and will still have your two months 'off' at the end - It will just be January and February instead of February and March.

I have always done this so I can pay to suit my budget.
This is what I do, I get paid 18th of each month and Council Tax is due on the 2nd so I pay 2 weeks in advance each month.
#LuckyMelvis - 500 to spend with very.co.uk & Issy Miyake Pleats #GoodWeek
1,000 from PMU so we're off to Paris! #AmazingWeek
2014 - iPad Air 64gb iPhone 5 iPad Mini
The Following User Says Thank You to melvis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
melvis
Old 25-03-2008, 2:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to melvis

And with regards to OP's query... with our Council if you pay late more than twice in the council tax year, you lose your right to pay monthly and the remaining amount due for the year becomes due in full.
#LuckyMelvis - 500 to spend with very.co.uk & Issy Miyake Pleats #GoodWeek
1,000 from PMU so we're off to Paris! #AmazingWeek
2014 - iPad Air 64gb iPhone 5 iPad Mini
# 17
vicki b
Old 25-03-2008, 5:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i rang my council and they said it is only classed as late if it is a WEEK late and then letters etc will get sent out..three days doesnt matter at all
Closed Thread