Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Slow Cooker - how much electricity does it use? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Slow Cooker - how much electricity does it use?
Views: 34,526
# 1
Tiddlywinks
Old 24-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Slow Cooker - how much electricity does it use?

Hello everyone - I hope you can help.

I want to get a slow cooker for a friend as a pressie but want to make sure that it's right for her first.

She has just had a meter put in and money's really tight. She has three growing lads who could eat a horse each and still want more so I thought a slow cooker might be useful (she'd need a really big one obviously ).

So, as money is tight and she is now on an electric meter will a slow cooker be cost effective or not? Does it cost a lot to run? I'm worried that i'll get it for her and then it will cost her loads to use and so then I'll have made her situation worse.

Please help as I am really confused.

Tiddly
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
trying-very-trying
Old 24-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Slow cookers vary tremendously in power use. Some of the large new ones use about 320w per hour, but they don't take so long to cook. My older one uses 130w but it really can be left on all day and never overcooks. The power rating will be stated in the item description, or on the underneath of the cooker.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

The Following User Says Thank You to trying-very-trying For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Tiddlywinks
Old 24-03-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply - sorry to sound thick (but I am on stuff like this), what should I look for when I buy one - so I go for something that cooks quickly but takes more energy or longer but less.

For recipes is it better for them to take longer to cook:confused: ?

Sorry but any tips would be gratefully received.

Tiddly
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiddlywinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
weezl74
Old 24-03-2008, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddlywinks View Post
so I go for something that cooks quickly but takes more energy or longer but less.
Hi Tiddly,

I'd say it depends on the lifestyle of the SC's owner. If you're out of the house all day and want to come home to a lovely stew after 8 hrs, best to get one with a low setting, if you'll want to be able to do stuff quicker, but you'll be around then to switch it off, then I find a high setting really useful. Mine's got both settings, so I guess that gives the best of both worlds!

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it 67/3.60/0
january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for 40
The Following User Says Thank You to weezl74 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
whatatwit
Old 24-03-2008, 1:34 PM

Mine is a Swan, it's a 200w and it has 3 settings, it's not huge, but when making a chilli, I can feed 3 and still have some left to freeze.

Also the benefit is that you can cook cheaper joints and cuts of meat and get them soooo tender.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
The Following User Says Thank You to whatatwit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
trying-very-trying
Old 24-03-2008, 2:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Personally, I prefer the slower one. I'm at home all day anyway, so time isn't an issue, but slow cooked stews and cheaper joints, just do taste so much nicer(IMO), plus you don't have to worry about overcooking anything.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trying-very-trying For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
minibudgetgal
Old 24-03-2008, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i think personally that any cost in electricity is barely worth worrying about when you consider the savings you make in buying meat/pulses to cook in it. I have used pretty cheap cuts of meat in mine (half the cost of the premium cuts i used to buy) and they have turned out just lovely. also used it to make curry with kidney beans and chick peas (compare that to the chicken breasts i used to but for homemade curry, let alone the prediced lumps of beef and lamb, oh the shame!). it cost 40 and i have made that back in a month i swear. go ahead and buy your mate the slow cooker, you are a diamond and i bet she will be so grateful. mine is called a crockpot by the way, has three settings and is huge. feeds 5 plus enought left over to freeze. x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minibudgetgal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Tiddlywinks
Old 24-03-2008, 6:15 PM

Thanks everyone, you've been really great.

Just a quickie about the electric usage - is there anyone reading this that has a meter and can tell me if using a slow cooker makes it whizz round a lot faster? Yes, I know I'm a worrier but I don't want the SC to mean that she's having to stick loads more money in the meter which would defeat the object of buying the SC to save her money.

Thanks again.

Tiddly
# 9
Winky, The House Elf
Old 24-03-2008, 6:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

100 Watts is about the same as a light bulb! It works out miles cheaper than having an oven on for a few hours, and the results are really hard to beat.

HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winky, The House Elf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Tiddlywinks
Old 24-03-2008, 6:34 PM

Doh, never thought to compare it to lightbulbs - that makes sooo much sense.

I thought appliances just took heaps more - never really was any good with technology.

Thanks lots

Tiddly
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiddlywinks For This Useful Post: Show me >>