IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Back to work incentive!!
Closed Thread
Views: 3,441
# 1
allen35
Old 20-03-2008, 3:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Back to work incentive!!

Hi I work for CAB,

An unemployed friend of mine has been told in confidence that there is a new in working benefit from april '08 where if you take a job after this date you qualify for 40 per week on top of WTC.

Has anyone heard anything as it was told off the record?
# 2
Fleago
Old 21-03-2008, 7:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Allen,

It's already available under Pathways to Work in some parts of the country and in April it will roll out to the rest. It won't be available to all unemployed people though, just those who have been on Incapacity Benefit, IS (incapacity based) or SDA. There's also an earnings limit for eligibility.

You can find out more about it here and here.

Hope this helps.

Fleago
The Following User Says Thank You to Fleago For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
allen35
Old 21-03-2008, 4:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks fleago

Thought i'd check before advising people, obviously JCP staff as ususal getting it totally wrong.
Friend is on IS with 1 child and getting a carers premium.
The rubbish she was told was she would be entitled to 40 pw for 18 months if she took a p/t job, she'd get ctc/wtc, hb/ctb and end up with over 200 in her pocket on minimum wage.
I told friend that this sounded wrong but the Jobcentre told her. HAHA
The Following User Says Thank You to allen35 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
hm71
Old 21-03-2008, 5:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hubby had this it was called return to work credit and because he was off work after spine surgery he could get it. He was recieving incapacity benefit for 12 weeks & 5 days and his advisor at the job centre said that although it was meant to be 13 weeks she was sure the odd day would be ok. he got it for 4 weeks (he was told 12 months) and then because he had gone back to work 2 days early (not 13 weeks) he was not entitled. we appealed as we followed the advise of the job center officer and have lost the appeal but may be entitled to compensation as false information given as had he waited the extra 2 days the return to work credits would have continued to be paid but because the lady said 2 days wouldn't affect it- he went back then and was not entitled.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
2 saving club 60
# 5
Fleago
Old 21-03-2008, 5:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

That's a rotten thing to have happened hm71. I hope you get a decent resolution to your complaint! It seems so bad that your OH has lost out because of two days! Especially as JC+ had said it would be ok.

If I were your friend, allen, I'd go back to the JC+ and tell the advisor their information is duff!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fleago For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
hm71
Old 22-03-2008, 8:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks fleago it was rotten, what really makes my blood boil is that he looses out for being honest. whereas I was queuing in my local post office the other day after 4 when the cue of social fund giros appear- listening to conversations about how the much needed giro was actually being used for tatoos, weekends of boozing and my favourite the man who was proud of the fact he didn't sign on cos he was 'sick' planning his weekend away with his social fund payment. If the jobcentre staff stood in that que for 10 mins they would have recouped rather a lot of cash.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge 128/270 balance 142
2 saving club 60
# 7
lazyfox
Old 28-03-2008, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi Allen yes i was told if i return to work i would get 200 cash and 40 per week for one year.I checked it out with job centre and was told its true.Hope this helps :-)
Closed Thread