Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > resignation letter for not returning after matern... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
resignation letter for not returning after maternity
Closed Thread
Views: 30,681
# 1
MummyHol
Old 19-03-2008, 9:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default resignation letter for not returning after maternity

I'm trying to write a resignation letter, as my company has *politely* refused my application for part-time hours on return to work from maternity leave.

So far i've got:

I write further to my meeting with ****** on 6th March 2008 and subsequent phone calls with the Human Resources Department.

I am writing to inform you that after my Additional Maternity Leave, which ended on 1st March 2008, and my 3 weeks annual leave, which ends 23rd March 2008, I have decided to resign

Thats were i get stuck!

I want to make it clear that its because of their decision not to honour my request that i'm handing in my notice. Also, i've been told by my HR liason that my regional manager is allowing me to leave without giving any notice so my 'end of employment' date will be 23rd march (the end of my paid holiday) so i need to add this in as well.

Any ideas anyone?? (thanks in advance)
# 2
tigtag02
Old 19-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I write further to my meeting with ****** on 6th March 2008 and subsequent phone calls with the Human Resources Department.

I am writing to inform you that after my Additional Maternity Leave, which ended on 1st March 2008, and my 3 weeks annual leave, which ends 23rd March 2008, I have decided to resign. My last day of employment with ****** will be 23rd March.

As a new mother I feel it extreemly inportant to balance my family and working life but unfortunately as the decsion has been taken to decline my request for part time hours I am faced with little choice.

Please forward my P45 at your earliest convenience after 23rd March to my home address.
baby no3 due 16th November
TEAM YELLOW
DFD 16/6/10
"Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigtag02 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
MummyHol
Old 19-03-2008, 10:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thats brilliant, thanks x
The Following User Says Thank You to MummyHol For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
zzzLazyDaisy
Old 19-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/e...s/default.aspx

Please also give the equality commission a ring. Your employer has a legal duty to give fair consideration to your request. For an employer large enough to have a HR dept, it is difficult to see how they can justify their refusal.
# 5
MummyHol
Old 19-03-2008, 10:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

unfortunately they can't justify having a deputy manager only working weekends. the main problem being other staff would loose hours to accommodate my request because the store only has a set amount of hours per week (although they pull hours out of thin air when it suits them!) and they would still need a deputy on full time hours for the weekdays (they feel it would be impracticle to employ a deputy for the 3days per week i would be giving up.

Its typical retail i'm afraid- the staff aren't very important because they're easily replaced (although i know they'll be hard pushed to find someone as hard working and loyal as i've been- its their loss!!)

i'll check the link out just incase, thanks LD
# 6
doom
Old 20-03-2008, 5:10 PM

If your holiday year starts on 1st Jan, would you be entitled to 3 weeks paid holiday so early on in the year, if you are now leaving ??
CARPE DIEM
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour
The Following User Says Thank You to doom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MummyHol
Old 20-03-2008, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

our holiday year starts august- anyway its my paid holiday from the previous year (that has to be taken within 3months of return to work which is why i added it onto the end of my mat leave- as well as to give them more time to process my application for less hours). I'll be owed this years (aug 07-july 08) so far in my final pay packet after my notice date.
The Following User Says Thank You to MummyHol For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
LondonDiva
Old 20-03-2008, 6:02 PM

Would you not have to pay back part of your maternity pay?
"This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
# 9
MummyHol
Old 20-03-2008, 6:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My HR dept haven't mentioned anything along these lines- i didn't realise this might be the case in some companies??
# 10
mountainofdebt
Old 20-03-2008, 6:15 PM

I know that some companies if they give enhanced maternity pay then there is usually a minimum length of time that the employee has to return to work for - unless the enhanced element is due to be repaid.

Also some companies won't issue you with a P45 this close to the end of the tax year but will give you a P60 instead - especially if you are paid monthly.
2014 Target;
To overpay CC by 1,000.
Overpayment to date : 310

2nd Purse Challenge:
15.88 saved to date
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainofdebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
tigtag02
Old 20-03-2008, 6:17 PM

Did you receive SMP or CSP?

SMP does NOT have to be paid back in any circumstances
TEAM YELLOW
DFD 16/6/10
"Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt
The Following User Says Thank You to tigtag02 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
tigtag02
Old 20-03-2008, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainofdebt View Post
Also some companies won't issue you with a P45 this close to the end of the tax year but will give you a P60 instead - especially if you are paid monthly.
An employer MUST provide a P45 regardless of when you leave.
TEAM YELLOW
DFD 16/6/10
# 13
MummyHol
Old 20-03-2008, 6:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was paid 6 weeks at 90% of my normal pay and 33 weeks at SMP because my son was due after the increase in paid weeks last year.

There wasn't any mention of a minimum return to work time in the t & c's they sent when i informed them of my pregnancy.

Thanks for the info on P45/P60
# 14
tigtag02
Old 20-03-2008, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyHol View Post
I was paid 6 weeks at 90% of my normal pay and 33 weeks at SMP because my son was due after the increase in paid weeks last year.

There wasn't any mention of a minimum return to work time in the t & c's they sent when i informed them of my pregnancy.

Thanks for the info on P45/P60
In which case you were paid the statutory minimum and will not be required to pay any back
TEAM YELLOW
DFD 16/6/10
# 15
MummyHol
Old 21-03-2008, 11:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thats a relief , thanks
# 16
lala03
Old 11-06-2008, 2:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question Maternity resignation

Hi all, Please help me. I've been on Maternity leave since Dec 5th 07 and I need to hand in my notice, so that i can find a job closer to home. I contacted my work to inform them that i would like to take the full 9 mth smp leave. With there reply they said it would end in August and to let them know of the date i would like to return. I've figure this to be the 27th aug. Does anyone know if it would be ok for me to give my notice now and still get my full smp till this date or should i wait until theres eight wks left then give it in. Theres also holiday to take into account but i'm not quite sure how to work that out. x
# 17
MummyHol
Old 12-06-2008, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Personally i would wait to hand in notice. Your HR dept should work out how much holiday you're owed and put it in your last pay packet after your leave date. (obviously i'm only going by what my company did there) Hope this helps x
# 18
lala03
Old 15-06-2008, 9:26 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thank you for getting back to me.
# 19
Jenna3
Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi I was reading the replys on handing in your notice after your marternity leave and I am in the same situation and needs a little help. I sent an email to my boss about 4-6 weeks agao asking if there was any charnce I could work from home and come into the office every so often and noted the benefits it would bring to the company ect but he never got back to me at all. To be honest I think they would want me to leave as the company are making lots of cut backs they didn't even get anyone in to cover me while on marternity. So I am going to write a letter as my marternity leave (unpaid) finishes on 24th September 2011 also I need to add that I want them to pay me my holiday pay that is owing to me also. Where do I start?? Please help if you can.

Many thanks
# 20
Uncertain
Old 04-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Unless you feel it is in your interest it is not actually necessary to give any reason for your resignation.

All you need to do is give the correct amount of notice that you are leaving on XX/YY/ZZZZ.

Should they fail to send you anything that is due you can pursue it as necessary.
PLEASE NOTE:

I limit myself to responding to threads where I feel I have enough knowledge to make a useful contribution. My advice (and indeed any advice on this type of forum) should only be seen as a pointer to something you may wish to investigate further. Never act on any forum advice without confirmation from an accountable source.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncertain For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread